There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better 49ers Defense?

Better 49ers Defense?

1997: 3rd in pts allowed, 1st in yards allowed.

DE- Chris Doleman (pro bowl)
DT- Dana Stubblefield (pro bowl) (AP Defensive Player of the Year)
DT- Bryant Young
DE- Roy Barker

OLB- Ken Norton Jr. (pro bowl)
MLB- Gary Plummer
OLB- Lee Woodall (pro bowl)

CB- Rod Woodson
CB- Darnell Walker
SS- Tim McDonald
FS- Merton Hanks (pro bowl)

2012: 2nd in pts, 3rd in yards

DE- Justin Smith (pro bowl)
DT- Isaac Sopoaga
DE- Ray McDonald

OLB- Aldon Smith (pro bowl)
MLB- Patrick Willis (pro bowl)
MLB- NaVorro Bowman (pro bowl)
OLB- Ahmad Brooks

CB- Carlos Rogers
CB- Tarell Brown
SS- Donte Whitner (pro bowl)
FS- Dashon Goldson (pro bowl)

IMO 1997 was a little better, but its really close.

I still cant believe that 97 D combined with Young and the offense didnt win it all. Screw the Packers.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM ]
i love steve but montana woulda beaten those packer teams of the 90s easily
This years defense just doesn't give me a hard on like last years defense.
Idk i had some pretty stiff wood when fangio was dialing in stunts and blitzes that v were hitting more times than not. I didn't get to see the 97 d but it sounds pretty cold. This is the.best defense I've ever seen though.
IMO, including last season's performance, this is the best D we've ever had.
Wasn't Kevin Greene also wrecking it for us in 1997 after coming from Carolina? If I remember, he had 5-7 sacks and returned an Elway fumble for a TD in the MNF game where Rice returned.
Originally posted by Ballistic:

That was my thought when I saw the thread too. That defense was possibly a top-5 of all time in my book, especially accounting for the era in which they played.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM ]
I don't know what the difference between 2011's stats and 2012's stats are, but regardless the 2011 defense seemed more dominant or special. I'm not too sure we would have made it to the Championship game this season without the improvements on offense/Kaepernick.
I think when you take into account the way the rules have changed and currently don't allow for virtually any physical play and coverage on defense, you have to take this year and last year's defenses over the 90's teams'.
Originally posted by SFBlue:
I don't know what the difference between 2011's stats and 2012's stats are, but regardless the 2011 defense seemed more dominant or special. I'm not too sure we would have made it to the Championship game this season without the improvements on offense/Kaepernick.

Not a stat difference. A pain difference. Last year they punished everyone. Hard.
The 1997 defense was a beast, I would put them #3 in the era of Niner games I've seen.

#1) 1994 - Statistically maybe not the best, but with that offense constantly handing the ball to the opposition forcing the opponents to keep pace they were dominant. And they crowned it off with a superbowl.

#2) 2011 - Dominant, no other way to say it. If last year ends with a trophy it may have been challenging the 2000 Ravens as best ever (probably would of landed #2 to them). Aside from that the only blemish was the passing yards they allowed but thats understandable when no one can run... at all.

#3) 1997 - Beastly, but could not take over a game when we needed it most against the falcons. They helped keep us in the game but couldnt take it over so #3 it is.

#4) 2012 - Statistically great, but where did they go for some periods of games this year? This D could be the best of the bunch, but they didnt just take a knee at times this season, they completely laid down in the fetal position. The Smith injury obviously hurt, but the lack of pass rush while he was out is very concerning. The players got tired and worn out by the end of the season, but if this D dominates the next two games and brings home hardware then it flips to #1.

Go Niners!
[ Edited by 5280High on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
It's a toss up between 94 and 2011... Only reason I give a slight edge over 2011 because we didn't have an offense.
The 1997 defense is rank number 1 but somehow it is missing something - to me they looked slow and tires. It don't look dominant at all. I can't explain it. I love the 2011 defense, that defense and the team as a whole was special.
Wasn't Marquez Pope on the '97 team as well?