There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

anyone concerned about over-confidence

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
No - JH will keep the team humble and razor sharp

I noticed in his locker room speech after the Packer game he mentioned "moving on with humble hearts" twice, so I'm sure he will keep em grounded.
You cannot actually prevent over-confidence. If you have it, you can't really turn it off.

Also, there is the random bad call, tipped interception, the inevitable fumble, a dropped pass, a miracle catch, one bad angle on one pass play, the bounce of the ball, etc. All this happens in every game. Nolan is a good defensive coach and they did a decent job on the very talented Wilson last week.

Good point earlier about the prevent defense. Coaches think they have to do this as standard operating procedure, not wanting to be criticized by the coaching fraternity. If they all do the same stupid thing, it is like a school of fish where none stand out. This will go on forever until some DC is fired on the spot for losing a game because of it. Or the fans storm the booth with pitchforks and torches.
I keep reading about the Niners playing a big game, then losing (and tying) the very next game, thus causing no more than a 2-game winning streak all season. And here we are again, just beating the Packers in the divisional round and on a 2-win streak. But lets look at the losses this season:

@ MIN - The vikings played well, and beat us at our own game.
vs. NYG - What can I say, they have our number right now
vs. STL - So many things in this game, but Fisher has this team tough, and Akers stunk it up for us
@STL - (see above)
@SEA - Just played a game and half the week before in Foxboro. Plus no cowboy and Seattle is a damn good team.

With any of those games, I didn't see them losing from over-confidence, and I don't see it happening next week.
Not after losing last year and being this close again. Coulda Woulda, shoulda last year and everyone was there so I don't think so.
The 9ers cannot get pressure on QB with 4 rushing right now. They have to bring someone. That's been a hole this season, underperforming as a team with pressures/knockdowns/hurries. Even sacks. Last I looked 9ers were ranked 12th in sacks. Probably lower after the season ended.

Hopefully the team will not think it's a cakewalk after last week. Hopefully ATL is more shellshocked over giving up 21 points in 4th quarter to lose the lead than we are overconfident.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I keep reading about the Niners playing a big game, then losing (and tying) the very next game, thus causing no more than a 2-game winning streak all season. And here we are again, just beating the Packers in the divisional round and on a 2-win streak. But lets look at the losses this season:

@ MIN - The vikings played well, and beat us at our own game.
vs. NYG - What can I say, they have our number right now
vs. STL - So many things in this game, but Fisher has this team tough, and Akers stunk it up for us
@STL - (see above)
@SEA - Just played a game and half the week before in Foxboro. Plus no cowboy and Seattle is a damn good team.

With any of those games, I didn't see them losing from over-confidence, and I don't see it happening next week.

Good post.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
No - JH will keep the team humble and razor sharp

....and united. Now that "Alexgate" is behind us and everybody on the team now realizes Harbaugh made the proper decision, the entire team can now focus on winning the Super Bowl.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I'm not as worried about over-confidence on the part of our team as I am about ATL feeling "disrespected" by the love that the betting public is giving the Niners. We are going to get a fired-up Falcons team. Our team must be ready to match their intensity from the opening bell.

I have a feeling that this will be a much tougher game than the GB game. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm not at all concerned. We now have a QB that not only can, but will score a TD on every single play. Can't lose.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Nolan is a good defensive coach and they did a decent job on the very talented Wilson last week.

They did? 24-36 for 385 yds and a TD, and 7-60 on the ground with a TD?

He ripped them apart. He wouldve ran more if their secondary wasnt leaving guys WIDE open.
Originally posted by ninersoul:
The fact that Kaepernick is only in his 2nd year as a starting QB and is playing his first couple of big playoff games should refrain ANY over-confidence from anywhere!

He has only started 9 games my friend. I wish he had a full season under his belt. Next year is going to be amazing, Go Niners!!
Over-confidence was the reason why the Giants won the Superbowl last year. -Falcons just won their Superbowl!
Originally posted by carlgo:
You cannot actually prevent over-confidence. If you have it, you can't really turn it off.

Also, there is the random bad call, tipped interception, the inevitable fumble, a dropped pass, a miracle catch, one bad angle on one pass play, the bounce of the ball, etc. All this happens in every game. Nolan is a good defensive coach and they did a decent job on the very talented Wilson last week.

Good point earlier about the prevent defense. Coaches think they have to do this as standard operating procedure, not wanting to be criticized by the coaching fraternity. If they all do the same stupid thing, it is like a school of fish where none stand out. This will go on forever until some DC is fired on the spot for losing a game because of it. Or the fans storm the booth with pitchforks and torches.

380 yards passing and like 60 yards rushing was a good job?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
380 yards passing and like 60 yards rushing was a good job?

Yea, seriously. Wilson had almost as many yards against Atlanta as Kap did against GB. I don't see anyone saying that GB's defense did a good job against Kap.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
All the "analysts" talk about how physical the 49ers are, and how they will manhandle the Falcons. History has shown that..usually..in playoff games, the opposite of what is obvious happens. The Denver/Baltimore game is a great example.

Also, the 49ers are on the road, against the #1 seed, with a good QB...plus dome,etc,etc. However little over-confidence will be overshadowed by the other factors, plus there is a lot of pressure on the 49ers...all the players keep saying "bad taste in the mouth from last year". Well, that is motivation and pressure.

All conference championship games are tough. The 49ers better bring their A game in all areas.

I don't know man. Denver had not played a real team in months, since New England. Baltimore was finally healthy, I don't get why everyone expected Denver to just roll those guys. They came out ready for that game. Like Denver, Atlanta has played a fairly weak schedule and now they have the most dangerous team left knocking on their door.