LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

anyone concerned about over-confidence

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
As the 49ers stand here now, it is better to have lost last season the way they did. The gut wrenching pain is still there and that has them hating to lose more than wanting to win. That will prevent any overconfidence from the 49ers.

For us fans? 49ers have beaten teams similar to the Falcons many times this season. That shows that the 49ers can beat the Falcons imo. Not saying it's a sure thing, but I like their chances.
Originally posted by thl408:
As the 49ers stand here now, it is better to have lost last season the way they did. The gut wrenching pain is still there and that has them hating to lose more than wanting to win. That will prevent any overconfidence from the 49ers.

For us fans? 49ers have beaten teams similar to the Falcons many times this season. That shows that the 49ers can beat the Falcons imo. Not saying it's a sure thing, but I like their chances.

No, after last year there is no such thing as overconfidence. Only hurt, pain, and a desire to make things right by winning the chip
Over confidence was thinking like we're contenders after starting 3-1 and fresh off beating the Rams 35-0. Then Atlanta came in and end up losing. Granted it was a close game until Clements made that stupid mistake while the falcons are deep in their territory on a third down.

Over confidence is thinking that we're going to contend in 2010 just because we went 4-0 in the pre season and fresh off Vernon Davis best year. Then starting 0-5 and that dreaded Kansas City Chiefs game where we couldn't even call the plays on time.

This, is not being over confident. So far the only time we got spanked was at Seattle. Ever since that time and the first three series on the season finale, something has clicked from this team. Both on offense and the defense. For some reason this team has became really aggressive and putting that pedal to the metal. Previous Harbaugh teams wouldn't even attempt to draw the other team offsides on 4th and 1. I know the kicker situation. But the game was kind of over because we are up by 14, but they elected to go for the 7 instead of taking a chance on Akers and hope the defense can hold up the lead. They were still passing in between instead of running and punting. They showed that they are no longer a team to be mess with. That win against Green Bay is a statement game for those who are still doubting this team.
If the Niners lose Sunday it wont be because of overconfidence. The players know how good Atlanta is. Its just the fans and media that dont give them the credit they deserve
Originally posted by KEGster:
I am more worried they come into the game TOO juiced up and can't sustain it for the entire game.

Yup. I've suspected that this is a big part of why the team's performances have oscillated over the course of the season, especially in the Giants game and the second Seattle game.
No. We lost in the NFC championship game last season, and got robbed of #6. Here we are again, and i guarantee the team learned something from that loss. ATL looked like we did last season after our win against NO. Emotionally spent and overreacting to a single post season win.

We are hungry and only one thing will cure that hunger.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Going on the road in the playoffs is not where I would expect overconfidence. The home team could get overconfident though.
I hope not. WW?
Not at all. They are calm
What we talk about doesn't reflect the sentiment of the team and has no effect on the effort of the team. So, be as confident as you want and cheer our team on!

the players and coaches aren't overconfident, and if they lose it's because atlanta is the better team
Dixon tweeted something about still having a sick feeling from last seasons CG. So I can only imagine that is how it feels for most of the players and coaches.

This isn't the regular season. This team is focused and will be ready to play.
[ Edited by cashmahne on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM ]
They want it too much. No one is comfortable on that team. This team is WAY too hungry for the W.

Then again, so is Atlanta. But complacency is what we're really discussing here, and I don't think that's an issue.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Over confidence? You forget we lost this same game one year ago? That pain does not simply vanish. These guys have been living in defeat for 360 days. They are going go screaming into the Georgia Dome like bats outta hell.

This, they have not forgotten, they will be ready to play. One thing, from my perspective I don't think it's going to all that loud not like the Hags place or similar I think they will be able to hear calls, watch out if they can hear the calls and get to the LOS with a little time to spare...

I like the "bats outta hell" thing.... bite their necks and rip their hearts out...Red & Gold Till I'm Dead an Cold! ready that in some thread a few days ago .sounds pretty damn cool-beans to me..NINERS!!!!
All the over-confidence is coming from dummy fans. The team is going in very focused. We were supposed to beat the Giants last year. This team went through the heartbreak of losing this game last year, and wont be taking anything for granted.

I cant stand people who spend the whole week bragging about "how badly were going to beat the Falcons, and how were going to the SB, or how Kaep is going to shred the Falcons D", etc.

We match up well. Were the more complete team. After that, theres no guarantees. ATL has some very dangerous offensive weapons, and its on their home turf. The crowd noise will be a factor unless we keep it down.
Share 49ersWebzone