Originally posted by NickSh49:
Fred Taylor fragile? Dude played 13 SEASONS.
Frank, by comparison, has played 8.
- Overall, injuries caused Taylor to miss 23 out of a potential 48 games from 1999 to 2001. Fans and media were highly critical of Taylor's tendency to get injured, questioning his toughness and donning him the moniker "Fragile Fred", which deeply upset him, as he would later admit. Despite knowing that Taylor's season was over in Week 3 of 2001, Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin listed him on the injury report as "questionable" every game for the remainder of the season, further fueling the doubts of Taylor's toughness in the minds of fans. He still has not completely rid himself of the stigma and the nickname.
- Injuries hampered Taylor again in 2005, as he started 11 games while missing five games with injuries throughout the season.
- In his final season with the Jaguars in 2008, Taylor started the first 13 games of the season before being placed on injured reserve
(Jones Drew had already joined the Jags in 2006.)
- He played in the first four games of the season for the Patriots, starting one, before suffering an ankle injury in Week 4 against the Baltimore Ravens. Despite the fact that the injury was expected to keep him out until late in the season, the Patriots chose not to place Taylor on injured reserve, and instead de-activated him. Taylor returned to the field for the Patriots' Week 16 matchup
- 2010, Taylor played in the first three games of the season as a reserve before suffering a toe injury in Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills. He was inactive until Week 12 against the Detroit Lions, but did not play in that game.
So Fred Taylor missed 55 games in his 12 seasons in the league. That's 28% games missed. In comparison Gore has missed 12 games or 10% of 49er games in his career.. That's not even counting Playoff games which I'm sure would put Fred Taylor very close to missing a staggering 30% of his teams games, Gore averages 1.6 missed games over 16 games played (1 season) while Fred would miss 4.5 games. Holy crap that's almost 1/3 of the season he would miss.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM ]