LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

Will Frank Gore get 10k?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Frank Gore get 10k?

• Pick6
  • Veteran
Best 9er RB yeah, probably. - I think Roger Craig and Joe Perry have a case.
I think he HAS to get to 12k rushing to have a shot at the HOF. his TD numbers are low and he's played on some crappy teams

some guys currently ahead of him that are not in the HOF, and all have at least 10k rushing yards
Fred Taylor
Cory Dillon
Warrick Dunn
Ricky Watters
Jamal Lewis
Thomas Jones
Tiki Barber
Eddie George
Otis Anderson
Steven Jackson
Ricky Williams
Originally posted by jays9ers:
His career reminds me a lot of Curtis Martin. Not a lot of flash, just pure production. I agree 10,000 May not get him in alone. a super bowl and 11,000 might do the trick.

I don't think people realize how tough Gore is. I think his body can last as long as Martins at a high level. Similar to Martin, he doesn't depend on speed. I don't see why Frank can't get to 14,000 yards at least, when all is said and done.
Fred Taylor - too fragile
Cory Dillon - Prob a better RB than Gore but similar numbers and his ring won't be as highly regarded as Gore (built Niners)
Warrick Dunn - FSU fan but doesn't belong on this list
Ricky Watters - Has the numbers but 0 postseason accomplishments. Chose $ over rings
Jamal Lewis - Near identical numbers as Gore without the off the field issues
Thomas Jones - Doesn't really belong on this list
Tiki Barber - Bizarro Gore, without the b***hing in the locker room reputation
Eddie George - 3.6 yards per carry is just too low to accept
Otis Anderson - Numbers are standard
Steven Jackson - Needs a title
Ricky Williams - Lack of consistency, retirement. Motivation questioned. No postseason success.
Originally posted by KEGster:
Cory Dillon - Prob a better RB than Gore but similar numbers and his ring won't be as highly regarded as Gore (built Niners)
Ricky Watters - Has the numbers but 0 postseason accomplishments. Chose $ over rings
Ricky Williams - Lack of consistency, retirement. Motivation questioned. No postseason success.

I add to Tiki, guy was a fumble machine most of his career.
To me, he is in MY HOF. And thats all that should matter. I'm a 49ers fan.
Originally posted by lordsilva25:
To me, he is in MY HOF. And thats all that should matter. I'm a 49ers fan.

• Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I add to Tiki, guy was a fumble machine most of his career.

I agree... not sure ANY of these guys belong in the HOF, but everyone of them currently has more rushing yards and more TDs than Gore.

In my opinion he is going to need at least two more good years and probably three (maybe 4) to have a shot at the HOF... otherwise he is going to fall in line with the players above who all have between 10,000 and 12,000 rushing yards. As far as SB's go, Otis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Watters, and Corey Dillon all won a ring. If Gore can add 4,000 yards from scrimmage before he is done that would give him just 164 more than Warrick Dunn, 579 more than Watters, but still 162 less than Barber. SO IF Gore can do that he would be in the ball park (numbers wise) of those three... who aren't and probably won't get into the HOF.

My point is I think we as fans put a much higher value on Gore, because we know what he did and what he meant to the team all those crappy years... the average football fan will see numbers comparable to the players above while playing for a crappy team. He will need something else to stand out.

Ricky had an NFL record 5 rushing TDs in the '94 divisional playoff game against the Giants, and tied an NFL record with 3 TDs in the Super Bowl win over the Chargers. In 11 playoff games he scored 12 TDs total (8 rushing and 4 receiving) and of course, ended up with one championship ring. On what planet is that "zero" post season accomplishments?

Fred Taylor fragile? Dude played 13 SEASONS.

Frank, by comparison, has played 8.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM ]
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
If we win it this year he will be in. Great players on Super Bowl winning teams get tons of publicity.

He'll make it with a ring or two because hes been on crappy teams where he was of a few stars who still got the production despite the results. Hes been on teams where he was the only player that produced despite the results. And now he'll be on a team where theres a lot of play makers on both sides of the ball and he still produces. The just keeps producing.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Ricky had an NFL record 5 rushing TDs in the '94 divisional playoff game against the Giants, and tied an NFL record with 3 TDs in the Super Bowl win over the Chargers. In 11 playoff games he scored 12 TDs total (8 rushing and 4 receiving) and of course, ended up with one championship ring. On what planet is that "zero" post season accomplishments?
Those were his first 3 seasons in the league. On some of the most stacked offenses in league history.

Ricky's following 4 playoff games, 3 in Phili and then Seattle (1-3 playoff record)
70 carries - 185 yards - 2.65 yards/carry - 1 lone rushing TD in a 58 point scoring performance by his team

People remember the alligator arms. Props to him for apologizing for it though. He took the pay day and people remember that, in the end I think he ultimately regrets it. But I think he was so full of himself at 25 years old that he thought he could turn the Eagles into a contender.

"The defining moment of Ricky Watters career in Philadelphia came in his first game as an Eagle. On September 3, 1995, the Eagles opened up the season at home against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. During the second-half, Ricky Watters alligator-armed not one, but two Randall Cunningham passes over the middle of the field. It didn't help that the Eagles lost 21-6, and Watters was held to 37 yards rushing with two fumbles. Sure, Watters was booed by the hometown fans for not sacrificing himself for the team, but those boos were nothing compared to the aftermath of Watters' postgame comments to the media.

Watters was honest, maybe too honest:

"Hey, I'm not going to trip up there and get knocked out. For who? For what? I mean, there's another day. I'm going to make a whole lot of plays. I made a whole lot of plays where I was at before. I've always made plays."
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Fred Taylor fragile? Dude played 13 SEASONS.

Frank, by comparison, has played 8.
From Wiki:
- Overall, injuries caused Taylor to miss 23 out of a potential 48 games from 1999 to 2001. Fans and media were highly critical of Taylor's tendency to get injured, questioning his toughness and donning him the moniker "Fragile Fred", which deeply upset him, as he would later admit.[6] Despite knowing that Taylor's season was over in Week 3 of 2001, Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin listed him on the injury report as "questionable" every game for the remainder of the season, further fueling the doubts of Taylor's toughness in the minds of fans.[6] He still has not completely rid himself of the stigma and the nickname.[7]

- Injuries hampered Taylor again in 2005, as he started 11 games while missing five games with injuries throughout the season.

- In his final season with the Jaguars in 2008, Taylor started the first 13 games of the season before being placed on injured reserve
(Jones Drew had already joined the Jags in 2006.)

- He played in the first four games of the season for the Patriots, starting one, before suffering an ankle injury in Week 4 against the Baltimore Ravens. Despite the fact that the injury was expected to keep him out until late in the season, the Patriots chose not to place Taylor on injured reserve, and instead de-activated him.[14] Taylor returned to the field for the Patriots' Week 16 matchup

- 2010, Taylor played in the first three games of the season as a reserve before suffering a toe injury in Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills. He was inactive until Week 12 against the Detroit Lions, but did not play in that game.

My calculations:
So Fred Taylor missed 55 games in his 12 seasons in the league. That's 28% games missed. In comparison Gore has missed 12 games or 10% of 49er games in his career.. That's not even counting Playoff games which I'm sure would put Fred Taylor very close to missing a staggering 30% of his teams games, Gore averages 1.6 missed games over 16 games played (1 season) while Fred would miss 4.5 games. Holy crap that's almost 1/3 of the season he would miss.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM ]
If he gives us 2 to 3 more 1000 yd seasons with a ring and Super Bowl MVP honors, he might get the nod. But I think that the most important accomplishment Gore needs immediately is that Super Bowl ring. It is still possible with just 2 more wins. Go 49ers!!
T-Minus 684 yards

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
T-Minus 684 yards

68.4 yards a game from here on out should be doable
Share 49ersWebzone