LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Our time to win is NOW..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KEGster:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Our time to win is now and the next several years. The Niners have a great head coach, a smart GM, and a young and talented QB. That gives the team a chance to win it every year.

Justin Smith has (prob) 2 more seasons. He is our best player. Players as dominant as Justin aren't available. You either draft them or sign them (Out of price range).

Eventually I envision us slowly losing our physical identity, as Justin and Gore leave. We are regarded as one of the leagues most physical defenses so we have room to spare in that department. The sky is certainty not falling but it isn't as rosy as you describe it either.

Packers losing to the Vikings will be a ''break'' that I'll never forget. To win the Championship you need breaks. Breaks help fuel locker rooms and turn them into almost delusional believers. It's needed and we got it.

Sure you have to keep drafting well. However, we now have a real QB that can do more than just manage games, one of the top head coaches in football, and a great leadership at the top. What team does have it "rosy" as you say? What team has a better foundation of GM, HC, and QB than the Niners? I wouldnt trade our situation for any other team.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Unless, in the coming years, the 49ers bring in equally good talent at the positions they are aging at, the window is not very wide open. Things change in the NFL very quickly, as this year (and really every year) indicates. They do have great young talent at some positions, but they need to continue to bring in more of it in order to remain at the level they are at right now. Next year is not guaranteed, so the time is definitely NOW, and worry about later, later. As long as Baalke keeps doing what he has been doing, we should be okay.

Jeff Fisher may not be the greatest coach ever, but he is a good coach and his teams are always tough. He has a good QB; given a competent OC/system/QB coach who knows how good the Rams O could be, their D is already good and will get better. Our division is tougher than many folks give it credit for. The Titans should have won SB XXXIV, but they didn't play their ball until the second half. Again, Fisher is not the best, but he is pretty damn good and I wish he were coaching in a different division.
Player - Age. Keep in mind anyone over 30 should be treated as: injury & cut at any moment.

QB: Kaepernick - 25
RB: Gore - 29
TE: V.Davis - 28
WR: Crabtree - 25

T: Staley - 28
G: Lupati - 25
G: Boone - 25
T: A.Davis - 23

DT: Sopoaga - 31
DT: I.Williams - 23
DT: McDonald - 28
DE: J.Smith - 33
DE: A.Smith - 23

LB: Brooks - 28
LB: Bowman - 24
LB: Willis - 27

S: Whitner - 27
S: Goldson - 28
CB: Rogers - 31
CB: Brown - 28
CB: Culliver - 24
CB: Cox - 25

So , let's add it up
< 25: A.Davis, I.Williams, A.Smith, Bowman, Culliver

25-28: Kaepernick, V.Davis, Crabtree, Lupati, Boone, Staley, McDonald, Willis, Brooks, Whitner, Goldson, Brown, Cox

> 29: Gore, Sopoaga, J.Smith, Rogers
You guys act like we wont be making aquisitions and getting better in the offseason as well..... Can you imagine the chemistry with kaep getting all the snaps in the offseason as a FT starter? Im calling it now SF will have a top 10 offense and top 5 Defense next year....The Dynasty starts Now!
Originally posted by vrabbit:
no, they beat us, I'm with you on Fisher not being anything special, but please quit these silly statements

the second game they got two free points from the refs. The safety wasn't an actual safety. On a play like that the line of scrimmage extends beyond the out of bounds lines, and so yes, the ball did make it back to the LoS. The refs only awarded the safety because the players were verbally berating them, which itself should be a penalty.

It's at this point i want to suggest that players looking to the refs for a flag, or a call in their favor be made a penalty. How about unsportsmanlike conduct? That's exactly what it is, by definition.
Originally posted by STNiner:
You guys act like we wont be making aquisitions and getting better in the offseason as well..... Can you imagine the chemistry with kaep getting all the snaps in the offseason as a FT starter? Im calling it now SF will have a top 10 offense and top 5 Defense next year....The Dynasty starts Now!

The dynasty started last year :) it's the 49er Empire
Justin Smith has (prob) 2 more seasons. He is our best player. Players as dominant as Justin aren't available. You either draft them or sign them (Out of price range).

Eventually I envision us slowly losing our physical identity, as Justin and Gore leave. We are regarded as one of the leagues most physical defenses so we have room to spare in that department. The sky is certainty not falling but it isn't as rosy as you describe it either.

Packers losing to the Vikings will be a ''break'' that I'll never forget. To win the Championship you need breaks. Breaks help fuel locker rooms and turn them into almost delusional believers. It's needed and we got it.

Justin Smith was available and the Niners signed him. What would rpevent them from signing another great player a few years from now?
Last year was our year. This is shaping up to be the ravens year IMHO fwiw
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Justin Smith was available and the Niners signed him. What would rpevent them from signing another great player a few years from now?
Do you remember who we signed the season before?

On March 2, 2007 Clements became the highest paid defensive player in NFL history after signing an eight-year, $80 million with $22 million guaranteed deal with the San Francisco 49ers
Originally posted by xtm059:
The dynasty started last year :) it's the 49er Empire

Couldnt agree more. Just because our division is getting better, doesnt mean this is our last chance. Of course the chance to play for a ring may or may not come along every year. But look at NE. They just keep loading up on draft picks, take the best talent available and keep marching on. If needed, they sign a vet off the street to come in and fill a hole. Trading for Talib was a steal.

I still like to think we have 2 1st round picks next year as Jenkins was (IMO) drafted with next year in mind, and what, we have 13 picks or so?

So while Sea has Wilson, whom I think will turn out like Cam in his 2nd season, and the Rams are getting better even, and maybe the Cards will assume some level of respectablity, all though best case thats a ways off even with Fitz. I like our chances the next 3-5 years assuming we stay healthy. Last year hurt, 2 SB's in a row to start his career would have put Harbs in a new stratosphere, but we lost, it happens. We reloaded and are going back to try again.

We arent one year wonders, and while some of the NFC is getting better, some of it is getting worse. We are on a much needed upswing after the past decade, lets not all start complaining about the Giants game last year and enjoy the ride for what it is, and hope we get to the Superdome.
Offensive skill positions: Seems fine, will need to replace Moss and/or Mannigham when the time comes. Not priority
Offensive Line: Never have enough in the NFL. Ever. #2 priority

Defensive Line: Never have enough in the NFL. But I think this is our #1 priority
Defensive skill positions: Rogers will need to be replaced in the next couple seasons and I give Whitner/Goldson 3 more seasons together ala Hanks/McDonald. Not priority
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM ]

Take a deep breath. Harbaugh has had two years and one full offseason with this squad and he is in his second consecutive NFC championship game with a 25 year old QB who is only beginning to sniff his potential. The defence is mostly young.. The offensive line is entering what should be its prime. We have locked up a good chunk of our key contributors at long term, cap friendly prices. There's $8-million in room coming free once Smith is set free after this season. 99% of the league would love to be in this position. I see us being legitimate contenders (barring catastrophe) for at least 3-5 years. Of course, I'm assuming a reasonable level of success in the draft and in keeping our guys in that conclusion. But the current regime's track record suggests that is quite likely.

I remember a few years back when the ownership group was talking about their desire to emulate the Eagles. Not in style and approach. But in building a system that ensures a reasonable level of competitiveness and contender status each and every year. That obviously comes through the draft and solid cap management. And I think we are there. Obviously the Eagles aren't the best comparison right now. But they did put together a very successful decade, despite the lack of championships.

The key to any sustained period of success is - of course - having a coach and a franchise QB who believe in each other, trust each other and complement each other's approach to the game. We've got that. Players will come or go. But, God Willing and the Creek don't rise, the window isn't closing any time soon.

On March 2, 2007 Clements became the highest paid defensive player in NFL history after signing an eight-year, $80 million with $22 million guaranteed deal with the San Francisco 49ers

I remember that but what does it have to do with my point about being able to pick up guys like JS?

I remember that but what does it have to do with my point about being able to pick up guys like JS?

There's 2 DEs in the league like JS. One plays for the ravens and the other is going to win DPOY in Houston. One does not simply pick up guys like JS
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Until Saturday after the pick( because me like candlestick was yelling for alex after that play) Kap made me a believer. Jim made the right move.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

There's 2 DEs in the league like JS. One plays for the ravens and the other is going to win DPOY in Houston. One does not simply pick up guys like JS

They do not take up two guys on every play though like JS. You dont find that no more. Watt is so disruptive because of height but JS and Watt are two diff styles but both beasts. Aldon needs to get right and play like his 19 sacks show how good he can be
Share 49ersWebzone