There are 198 users in the forums

Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thought on Kaepernick's pick-6....

Sure it was a poor decision, but he should have been able to prevent the TD. His attempt to make the tackle that would have stopped the return at about the 20 yard line failed because he took a bad angle. He is athletic enough that he could have got out in front of the returner to make a tackle.

The QB is usually the guy in the best position to make the tackle on these passes to the flats that get picked off. We have one with the athleticism to prevent a TD or huge run back. Kap should spend some time with Dashon Goldson and learn how to take a good angle and make a tackle in the open field.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
@BYisgod: I think that was likely a bit of adrenaline; he's had a week off getting hyped up to play his first play off game and knowing he's getting judged on it, pretty sure he came out throwing just a little off in the 1st quarter due to that more than nerves. In the 2nd quarter, his passes were on the money almost every time, just Walker had some unfortunate drops (hope he works on them) and we also took the lead and so started running the clock down. You could see he settled with the 2 TD passes to Crabs and after that he looked more relaxed althoug we were thoring less.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
Thanks Marvin49, what can you say, there are big time players on both sides of the ball. Justin is John Wayne, Kaep is the Next Big Thing, Crabtree excels on the big stage, Vernon could bust out at any moment, and on and on and on. Watch Bo against the Falcons. Patrick is my guy. We're lucky to be 49er fans.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I agree Smith may have not made those throws, but don't say he can't. Because he has made similar throws in his career. What I'm simply saying is that there is no reason to even mention Smith and make an argument that he couldn't have done this or couldn't have done that. Why even do that? It's not necessary. You can't say that Alex Smith couldn't have won these games as well. We went 13-3 and also got to the NFC championship last year during a lockout year in the first year under the offense with Smith. Smith was only improving. We don't know what would be happening with Smith, so you can only assume that the decision was absolutely correct if we get farther than we did last year.. because that way you have improved on your total circumstances from last year. Also, Crabtree was coming on in the beginning of the year with Smith at qb. He has gotten even better as the year went on. He has been Kaps primary target, where smith spread it around a bit more. I just think we should keep smith out of it and not state that he can't do this or that and let's appreciate what is going on.

Great post. There was no reason to throw Alex into the OP and try to minimize him. Doing that just lessens your whole post, and makes all of your "positive" remarks of # 11 (new or old) look shallow and empty.

Ck7 is a whole different animal, and much props to him for that. He's really good, and much better than I expected at this point. So really... he doesn't need you to cut down the other guy in order to prop him on your shoulders.

Pretty much.
I agree Smith may have not made those throws, but don't say he can't. Because he has made similar throws in his career. What I'm simply saying is that there is no reason to even mention Smith and make an argument that he couldn't have done this or couldn't have done that. Why even do that? It's not necessary. You can't say that Alex Smith couldn't have won these games as well. We went 13-3 and also got to the NFC championship last year during a lockout year in the first year under the offense with Smith. Smith was only improving. We don't know what would be happening with Smith, so you can only assume that the decision was absolutely correct if we get farther than we did last year.. because that way you have improved on your total circumstances from last year. Also, Crabtree was coming on in the beginning of the year with Smith at qb. He has gotten even better as the year went on. He has been Kaps primary target, where smith spread it around a bit more. I just think we should keep smith out of it and not state that he can't do this or that and let's appreciate what is going on.

Great post. There was no reason to throw Alex into the OP and try to minimize him. Doing that just lessens your whole post, and makes all of your "positive" remarks of # 11 (new or old) look shallow and empty.

Ck7 is a whole different animal, and much props to him for that. He's really good, and much better than I expected at this point. So really... he doesn't need you to cut down the other guy in order to prop him on your shoulders.

Dude. Chill.

Seriously.

As long as there are people here who say that Alex should remain the starter, I'm going to draw the comparison. Illustrating the difference between the two isn't "minimizing him". Its taking a look at the reasons Harbaugh made the switch.

If you think my defense of Alex was "hollow and empty" then you simple don't have any clue what I'm talking about. It "lessens the post"? Then move on and read a different one. I'm really kinda tired of peeps making this same argument every week that I am throwing Alex under the bus by making the comparison. No. The comparison of both players play on the field is what is throwing him under the bus. If Alex could live up to the comparison, then we wouldn't have an issue and he would still be the starter.

I like Alex. I always have. He has ALWAYS been a much better player than most people gave him credit for. That doesn't mean tho that I didn't recognize his limitations as a player. It doesn't make me a "hater" or mean I'm throwing him under the bus. It means I am capable of admitting that I was WRONG initially when I thought that Kaep should sit for at least another year. It means I am capable of admitting that I was WRONG when I said he was too raw.

Too often peeps in this forum grab ahold of their position and then will stubbornly defend it...forever. Even in the face of insurmountable evidense, they will defend their position because they don't want to be wrong.

So...let me say that again. I was WRONG about Kaep (especially in the preseason). When I write these posts I am still explaining WHY I was wrong.

You don't like how I do that? Move on.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Dude. Chill.

Seriously.

As long as there are people here who say that Alex should remain the starter, I'm going to draw the comparison. Illustrating the difference between the two isn't "minimizing him". Its taking a look at the reasons Harbaugh made the switch.

If you think my defense of Alex was "hollow and empty" then you simple don't have any clue what I'm talking about. It "lessens the post"? Then move on and read a different one. I'm really kinda tired of peeps making this same argument every week that I am throwing Alex under the bus by making the comparison. No. The comparison of both players play on the field is what is throwing him under the bus. If Alex could live up to the comparison, then we wouldn't have an issue and he would still be the starter.

I like Alex. I always have. He has ALWAYS been a much better player than most people gave him credit for. That doesn't mean tho that I didn't recognize his limitations as a player. It doesn't make me a "hater" or mean I'm throwing him under the bus. It means I am capable of admitting that I was WRONG initially when I thought that Kaep should sit for at least another year. It means I am capable of admitting that I was WRONG when I said he was too raw.

Too often peeps in this forum grab ahold of their position and then will stubbornly defend it...forever. Even in the face of insurmountable evidense, they will defend their position because they don't want to be wrong.

So...let me say that again. I was WRONG about Kaep (especially in the preseason). When I write these posts I am still explaining WHY I was wrong.

How you liking our world Marv? Sucks huh?

I'd just leave it alone bro. There is no winning in this, only warnings. We don't want to lose you over a few posters who rip into and antagonize posts related to any kind of Smith dissension, even if its done fairly and appropriately.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM ]
I went back and watching parts of this game myself and I noticed that some of those plays looked like they were designed for CK to run it. GB was completely caught off guard by this, especially that long TD run he had I think in the 3rd quarter. It's pretty easy when they have no one to tackle him from 20 yards out but they looked like they were completely blown away by this. I think the game plan worked out perfectly. GB is not a good defense at all but they tend to really struggle against the run once you start pounding it on them, just ask Adrian Peterson who rushed over 200 on them, and then over 150 again. Of course he was shut down in the playoffs, but he probably was the blue print that it IS possible to run it down that team's throat.
Originally posted by blm7754:

Sure it was a poor decision, but he should have been able to prevent the TD. His attempt to make the tackle that would have stopped the return at about the 20 yard line failed because he took a bad angle. He is athletic enough that he could have got out in front of the returner to make a tackle.

The QB is usually the guy in the best position to make the tackle on these passes to the flats that get picked off. We have one with the athleticism to prevent a TD or huge run back. Kap should spend some time with Dashon Goldson and learn how to take a good angle and make a tackle in the open field.

I would like him to do as little tackling as humanly possible.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Dude. Chill.

Seriously.

How you liking our world Marv? Sucks huh?

I'd just leave it alone bro. There is no winning in this, only warnings. We don't want to lose you over a few posters who rip into and antagonize posts related to any kind of Smith dissension, even if its done fairly and appropriately.

LOL. No worries. I wouldn't let anyone knock me off the board (and I don't think that was anything close to his intent).

I'm just sick of it. You don't like the way I present the argument? Then start your own.
Originally posted by BayArea:

This.

I'm sorry....but his inability to tackle the defender kinda falls by the wayside when he racks up 444 total yards and 4 TDs.

Originally posted by BayArea:

Same here. Why would we have our young star QB losing out on valuable reps to practice his form tackling?

Not all QB's can lay the wood like Andrew Luck.
Great OP Marvin, as usual! I can't believe the negative stuff on the Falcons MB about the Niners and CK in particular. Normally, you would think that football fans would realize that the teams you go up against in the playoffs get tougher and not easier.
Great post Marvin, I like the fact you gave credit where it was truly deserved, the OLine, while the national media and alot of fans are still drooling over Kaeps running game they are paying no attention to the things that made the runnning game successful (as well as lacking mention of his passing game). I was extremely impressed with Staley's redemption guarding Clay Matthews but for gods sake he really needs to be careful blocking him both times this year hes been hurt while blocking him. And Iupatis block when Matthews slid to the right to go inside of Staley was phenomenal, after that block my wife turned to me and said "I bet that one made him s**t his Depends".
Another Marvin "espectacular" . Well done, my man. One thing 3 days later still puzzles me. SEA had the Kap option read figured out. Both OLBs, held their positions and did not attack past LOS. Kap's runs were virtually negated. To see the GB packers not have a way to defeat Kap's option read, is mind blowing. Only thing more impressive is that they didn't make one change during halftime. What was that about.
Oh, one other thing on NFL network tonite: P52 talking to Bowman of Brooks: "Man , I didn't know Kap was that fast" . It sounded funny coming from one of our own guys. Aaron Rodgers , clay matthews, and a DL were overheard saying the same thing. For the record, he IS fast. On the seal play around rt end for the TD, there finally was one CB who started even with Kap, took him stride for stride, yet he crossed the goal line about 10 yds behind Kap. His extreme height and length make for strides 1.5 to 2 x guys trying to catch him. Same # of steps, just one guy havning a 2 foot longer stride than anyone else. That tends to get you from pt A to pt B a lot quicker.
Again, Marvin thanks for your hard work and observations.
great job Marv. x2 on all counts
Share 49ersWebzone