LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BloodWolf209:
I will say this. I have rooted for Alex Smith since we drafted him. It is hard not to. He has been nothing but professional and never made excuses for himself. He has endured more than a lot of other people in his situation could have. He finally started to play well and all of us "supporters" felt really good for him and the team. Alex is a smart QB who can make some plays.

Now with all of these people saying that Alex would or would not have made that play is just dumb. He might not be able to make the same plays as Kaep but he would probably make other ones. I agree that A LOT of Crabtree's recent success is due to Kaep making the throws to him but lets not forget what Vernon and Smith can do (or did). Kaep seems to miss the big throws to Vernon that Smith didn't. Smith seemed to miss the big throws to Crabs that Kaep doesn't. Everybody seems to forget what Smith and Vernon did to a similar defense in the Saints. By similar I mean talent wise.

The most notable difference is Kaep's running ability. He broke an NFL record in his first playoff game for rushing yard by a QB and has a monster arm to boot.

I must admit that after the pick 6 I thought to myself "Great, the change at QB was wrong and stupid Harbaugh F*cked us". I was obviously wrong and very happy I am. I thought the QB changed was premature and wrong but I will support Kaep from now on (I always did because he is our QB but felt bad for Alex). No matter how many mistakes he makes from now on. The kid is just a beast and when he is on point. If Saturday was just a taste of things to come then I am VERY excited for our future.

I will also say this and probably get crap for it but oh well. I am a huge Alex Smith fan for what he has gone though. Warranted or not, it is what it is. I am 100 percent happy with Kaep moving forward. That being said, I will ALWAYS root for Alex Smith no matter where he goes. Even if he is a Cowboy (which won't happen). I really hope he ends up in KC or Jacksonville so it will be easier to root for him. If we are not in the big game, I will root for whatever team he is on (if they are in it). I bleed red and gold but the guy just has my respect.

Not surprisingly, I'm going to disagree on the bolded.

We are in a forum whos entire point it is to debate this stuff. If people are going to make the argument you make here in that it was a mistake to make the switch to Kaep (even if you support Kaep now), then I am going to make the comparison.

Yes...there are passes that Alex would make that Kaep wouldn't. Of course thats the case. IMO tho I would MUCH rather have the guy who has a 60% comp% on passes over 20 yards (1st in the NFL). I want the guy who doesn't shut down after he makes a mistake as Alex has done in the past. Remember...I'm a fan too. I like ALex, but I can see whats happening out there just as well as the next guy.

Marvin I think you are mistaken in what I mean. I never said I would rather have Smith out there. I never said Harbaugh making the QB change IS a mistake. I said that at the time I thought it was. I see now that it wasn't and am all in with Kaep. I said I am supporting Kaep 100 percent no matter what. The kid is a beast and can make some damn good plays. I was only talking about people saying that Alex CAN"T make those plays. It is stupid to say that BECAUSE Alex would make other ones. Example: The touchdown pass that Kaep threw to Crabs against AZ. On the run (to his left) he made a deep accurate pass to crabs for a long score. Alex Smith NEVER could have made that play. BUT who is to say that he doesn't hit Vernon on a deep corner route or something for a score. ALL that I am saying is that saying somebody might not be able to make a play IS POINTLESS because he isn't out there. Who knows what plays Alex would make IF he was out there. I am pretty sure the QB debate is over.

I see what you are saying....

...but I still disagree. I know...your shocked, right?

You are correct in that we don't know what would have happened on any given play because Alex would have made a different read. That's true. However, I think if you take a NUMBER of those plays that Kaep has made and compare it to a number of Plays that Alex has made that it becomes pretty obvious. Those throws that we talk about specifically are just representative of all of the other passes that weren't made.

Bottom line tho to me....

There are passes that Kaep makes that Alex is either incapable or unwilling to even attempt. The same cannot be said in reverse.

If Kaep weren't completing those passes then this would be a different conversation. He is tho.
1. With D. Walker at this point in the season we just have to hope that he catches the ball when it's thrown his way. We are thin at wr's and walker is very athletic that he is a mismatch for defenses. If the route is pretty basic he seems to do ok but if he has to fight for the ball or dive or get low than it's a 50/50.

2. A very big thanks to Minnesota! I know we could have gone into Green Bay and won the game but it's a better situation to play 1 game at home, NFCC away and Superbowl on a neutral field. If Minnesota had lost the Niners would have played the Bears at home, then Green Bay away, then possibly Atlanta away, and then SB on a Neutral field.

3. I grew up watching the Niners with Montana and Young and Walsh, etc... This team feels similiar to those teams. The teams used to be loaded with so much depth and pro bowl talent that it didn't seem fair to the rest of the league. The other teams left in the playoffs are good and they can definately win the whole thing but from my point of view the Niners have the most talented roster from top to bottom and it's theirs to lose. If they play their A game for 2 more games, we will be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy...
Originally posted by Marvin49:

You are correct in that we don't know what would have happened on any given play because Alex would have made a different read. That's true. However, I think if you take a NUMBER of those plays that Kaep has made and compare it to a number of Plays that Alex has made that it becomes pretty obvious. Those throws that we talk about specifically are just representative of all of the other passes that weren't made.

There are passes that Kaep makes that Alex is either incapable or unwilling to even attempt. The same cannot be said in reverse.

If Kaep weren't completing those passes then this would be a different conversation. He is tho.

You are just disagreeing for arguments sake. LOL! I agree about the big play point and I agree with you. I was just saying that we have no idea where the team would be with Alex. As I said before, I am happy and excited with Kaep at the helm and would not want Alex out there over him. Let's just hope that Kaep can continue to make those plays without a lot of mental errors and get us another championship.
My only thought after the game -- We're back into the NFCCG !! Yeah baby!!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Awesome seeing Bruce miller at DE again

What are you talking about? Snap count says he didn't play defense.....

Might be seeing 48 which is Tukuafu

Gonna blame it on the alcohol

What quarter did he play DE?
Originally posted by 5times:

What quarter did he play DE?

No I was mistaken and apparently blind
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by BloodWolf209:
I will say this. I have rooted for Alex Smith since we drafted him. It is hard not to. He has been nothing but professional and never made excuses for himself. He has endured more than a lot of other people in his situation could have. He finally started to play well and all of us "supporters" felt really good for him and the team. Alex is a smart QB who can make some plays.

Now with all of these people saying that Alex would or would not have made that play is just dumb. He might not be able to make the same plays as Kaep but he would probably make other ones. I agree that A LOT of Crabtree's recent success is due to Kaep making the throws to him but lets not forget what Vernon and Smith can do (or did). Kaep seems to miss the big throws to Vernon that Smith didn't. Smith seemed to miss the big throws to Crabs that Kaep doesn't. Everybody seems to forget what Smith and Vernon did to a similar defense in the Saints. By similar I mean talent wise.

The most notable difference is Kaep's running ability. He broke an NFL record in his first playoff game for rushing yard by a QB and has a monster arm to boot.

I must admit that after the pick 6 I thought to myself "Great, the change at QB was wrong and stupid Harbaugh F*cked us". I was obviously wrong and very happy I am. I thought the QB changed was premature and wrong but I will support Kaep from now on (I always did because he is our QB but felt bad for Alex). No matter how many mistakes he makes from now on. The kid is just a beast and when he is on point. If Saturday was just a taste of things to come then I am VERY excited for our future.

I will also say this and probably get crap for it but oh well. I am a huge Alex Smith fan for what he has gone though. Warranted or not, it is what it is. I am 100 percent happy with Kaep moving forward. That being said, I will ALWAYS root for Alex Smith no matter where he goes. Even if he is a Cowboy (which won't happen). I really hope he ends up in KC or Jacksonville so it will be easier to root for him. If we are not in the big game, I will root for whatever team he is on (if they are in it). I bleed red and gold but the guy just has my respect.

Not surprisingly, I'm going to disagree on the bolded.

We are in a forum whos entire point it is to debate this stuff. If people are going to make the argument you make here in that it was a mistake to make the switch to Kaep (even if you support Kaep now), then I am going to make the comparison.

Yes...there are passes that Alex would make that Kaep wouldn't. Of course thats the case. IMO tho I would MUCH rather have the guy who has a 60% comp% on passes over 20 yards (1st in the NFL). I want the guy who doesn't shut down after he makes a mistake as Alex has done in the past. Remember...I'm a fan too. I like ALex, but I can see whats happening out there just as well as the next guy.

Marvin I think you are mistaken in what I mean. I never said I would rather have Smith out there. I never said Harbaugh making the QB change IS a mistake. I said that at the time I thought it was. I see now that it wasn't and am all in with Kaep. I said I am supporting Kaep 100 percent no matter what. The kid is a beast and can make some damn good plays. I was only talking about people saying that Alex CAN"T make those plays. It is stupid to say that BECAUSE Alex would make other ones. Example: The touchdown pass that Kaep threw to Crabs against AZ. On the run (to his left) he made a deep accurate pass to crabs for a long score. Alex Smith NEVER could have made that play. BUT who is to say that he doesn't hit Vernon on a deep corner route or something for a score. ALL that I am saying is that saying somebody might not be able to make a play IS POINTLESS because he isn't out there. Who knows what plays Alex would make IF he was out there. I am pretty sure the QB debate is over.

I love Alex. Love that kid. Even thought he should maybe still be starting over Kaep.

But Kaep proved on Saturday, with both his arm and his feet, that he is truly a better player than Alex. Period. End of story.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I appreciate the point made and definitely agree that there is no point in thinking we can't praise one player without the need to bash the other. However, up until this last game (and for many up until this NFC Championship game) a lot of people were questioning the decision made by Harbaugh to switch to Kap, which triggered natural comparisons between the two players. There were several people on this forum bringing stats and other information to establish that Alex Smith was still, at this point, the better option at QB and gave the Niners the best chance to win. Moreover, many were quite openly saying that the outcome of this game would be the verdict which either vindicated Harbaugh or condemned him. Therefore, it should be expected that there would be comparisons made after Saturday's performance.
Agreed! I'm starting to read more and more comments around the internet since the dust has settled from the Greenbay game that Colin has to win this week for the QB switch to be justified. It seems people keep drawing lines in the sand for Colin to cross. If he wins this week it's the Superbowl then after that it's can he overcome the sophomore jinx it's never ending.
Also when Colin has a bad game here comes the stats comparing QBs. When he plays well those same people say why are we bringing up the other guy? This is the pattern I've seen since I've come to this forum.
Irregardless of the Kap vs Smith debate, the next step for Kap is two (then three) great games in a row.

Originally posted by TurlockCK7:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I appreciate the point made and definitely agree that there is no point in thinking we can't praise one player without the need to bash the other. However, up until this last game (and for many up until this NFC Championship game) a lot of people were questioning the decision made by Harbaugh to switch to Kap, which triggered natural comparisons between the two players. There were several people on this forum bringing stats and other information to establish that Alex Smith was still, at this point, the better option at QB and gave the Niners the best chance to win. Moreover, many were quite openly saying that the outcome of this game would be the verdict which either vindicated Harbaugh or condemned him. Therefore, it should be expected that there would be comparisons made after Saturday's performance.
Agreed! I'm starting to read more and more comments around the internet since the dust has settled from the Greenbay game that Colin has to win this week for the QB switch to be justified. It seems people keep drawing lines in the sand for Colin to cross. If he wins this week it's the Superbowl then after that it's can he overcome the sophomore jinx it's never ending.
Also when Colin has a bad game here comes the stats comparing QBs. When he plays well those same people say why are we bringing up the other guy? This is the pattern I've seen since I've come to this forum.

I think that goes for the team as a whole. Even if Alex was starting, he would need to win the NFCC to justify him being a starter. It is the natural step.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I agree Smith may have not made those throws, but don't say he can't. Because he has made similar throws in his career. What I'm simply saying is that there is no reason to even mention Smith and make an argument that he couldn't have done this or couldn't have done that. Why even do that? It's not necessary. You can't say that Alex Smith couldn't have won these games as well. We went 13-3 and also got to the NFC championship last year during a lockout year in the first year under the offense with Smith. Smith was only improving. We don't know what would be happening with Smith, so you can only assume that the decision was absolutely correct if we get farther than we did last year.. because that way you have improved on your total circumstances from last year. Also, Crabtree was coming on in the beginning of the year with Smith at qb. He has gotten even better as the year went on. He has been Kaps primary target, where smith spread it around a bit more. I just think we should keep smith out of it and not state that he can't do this or that and let's appreciate what is going on.

Great post. There was no reason to throw Alex into the OP and try to minimize him. Doing that just lessens your whole post, and makes all of your "positive" remarks of # 11 (new or old) look shallow and empty.

Ck7 is a whole different animal, and much props to him for that. He's really good, and much better than I expected at this point. So really... he doesn't need you to cut down the other guy in order to prop him on your shoulders.
Most important thing I noticed after re-watching: Kap didn't throw the ball as well as he usually does. Many of his throws simply had too much mustard and came out awfully flat. ATL will force him to throw the ball on Sunday, as they will be trying their hardest to take away all running lanes. If we want to win, Kap will need to put a little more touch on the short and intermediate routes.
Hi all,

1st post on this forum (been reading posts on here for a few years). BIG 49ers fan.

My thoughts after watching the Packers game is that I am really impressed with are:
- Kaepernicks ability to rebound after a mistake
- The imergence of Crabtree as a true #1 WR in the league.
- The dominance the O-line can have on a game. We cannot be beat if they play like that.

As for the upcoming ATL game... on offense I feel Vernon can bust out in this game (as everyone saw Sea TE - Miller was open all day) and on defense I think we need to take the run game away. ATL was able to establish the run game early vs. Seattle. Make them one dimensional and let Aldon tee off on Ryan.

Looking forward to many more posts as the 49ers keep rolling!
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Hi all,

1st post on this forum (been reading posts on here for a few years). BIG 49ers fan.

My thoughts after watching the Packers game is that I am really impressed with are:
- Kaepernicks ability to rebound after a mistake
- The imergence of Crabtree as a true #1 WR in the league.
- The dominance the O-line can have on a game. We cannot be beat if they play like that.

As for the upcoming ATL game... on offense I feel Vernon can bust out in this game (as everyone saw Sea TE - Miller was open all day) and on defense I think we need to take the run game away. ATL was able to establish the run game early vs. Seattle. Make them one dimensional and let Aldon tee off on Ryan.

Looking forward to many more posts as the 49ers keep rolling!

Welcome aboard dude!
Share 49ersWebzone