Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Colin Kaepernick played a fantastic game and he sure does look like a star in the making. However, the debate won't end until we win the NFC championship game. Kap has to get this team farther this year than Alex Smith did last year. Alex Smith was only progressing as a quarterback. It's as simple as that.
Also, you're absolutely right Smith could not break off those kinds of runs. That is obvious. But I am very tired of people claiming that Alex Smith can't make the throws. Kap has a much stronger arm than Smith, no doubt. Smith still has a good arm and he's made some amazing throws in his own right. Let's not act like he hasn't darted balls into receivers before and put balls right on the money. Can we please stop dissing Alex Smith. Let's be happy that we have two very good quarterbacks on the roster. I hate that when Kaepernick plays great we have to say "see Alex Smith could never do that!?" There is no need for that.
Oh and yeah again, there is no need to imply that teams didn't think Alex Smith was any kind of Quarterback. Let's praise our players, not praise one while dissing another at the same time. I really do enjoy reading your posts though.
Fully agree. Even Marvin's very good summary starts off with a long tribute to CK that almost seems like he wants to say something else but stops just short. I think everyone here realizes Kaepernick has certain abilities that Alex Smith does not, however, other than his running ability, the arm strength issues are nothing near what some writers would like us to believe. They are simply different QBs who have both been very successful when given a full deck.
I'll put it this way....
I like Alex. I really do. I've been a fan for a long, long time and have ALWAYS thought he was getting a raw deal. I would have been happy keeping him for the long term and going into the playoffs with him.
Kaep is just on another level.
It's not the arm (tho I love it). Its not the legs (those are great too). It's not even the deep passing accuracy (maybe a little bit). It's the POISE.
He makes a mistake. He moves on. It NEVER lingers. He goes to NE where he's supposed to lose and acts like he owns the place. You can't "get to him". Its something all the greats possess. I'm not putting him there yet, I'm just saying its not just the physical tools that have made me such a Kaepernick fan. Its the stuff you can't measure. Its the guy you can't intimidate.
I know people view this as "Alex-bashing" and I apologize for that, but I've watched Alex play since college and I know what I know. I know that while he has become a very good QB who could take a very talented team to the playoffs, he's not a GREAT QB who one day can put this team on his back. We don't know that yet with Kaep either, but its that quality I was just talking about that really makes me think he can.
Finally, when I say its a pass that Alex can't make, it doesn't always mean he can't physically make it. Sometimes it means he WON'T make it or that he would make it a much lower % of the time compared to Kaep. I will continue to make this comparison because people are still arguing with me on it. I think the case is closed but I still have peeps who say he needs to win the next game.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]