There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good observation about Kaep. His early passes were a little high until he settled down.

However, given the way Kaep overcame his rough start against GB, I'm not sure he couldn't overcome a slow start vs. Atl. as well.

I sure hope we don't see a slow start, though.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Yeah....I don't buy it.

His passes weren't that far off. The pick 6 was a bad throw, no doubt, but it was caused by Crabtree falling down. He should never have thrown the ball the other way, but I don't think that was a nerves issue.

I think what he does have tho is a "my TE can't catch the damn ball" issue.

Yah I was sitting there in the stands after the pick six and I was like wtf just happened but then I remembered its early. The TD on the next drive was freaking huge.
It looked like the Packers thought, since they contained a fast/mobile QB like "Joe Webb" , they could shut Kaep down with the same basic defensive strategy as they used against Minnesota ???

and a few times this season, there have been remarks about Harbaugh being outcoached and looking lost at times ? ...but on saturday, Harbaugh & Roman unleashed an offense that McCarthy and Capers couldnt find NO answers for......NONE

Plus I loved it when Fangio would send Willis on a Blitz up the middle .....I'm sure our coaching staff will have some more surprises in store for Atlanta
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I cant remember when it happened but LMJ was in the play and it was a pass play and LMJs was blocking. Kapp snaps the ball and LMJs tracks a LB(?) going from right of the line to left coming in on a blitz. And LMJs picks him up, Kapp steps up and I really cant remember if it resulted in a TD or what. But I was really impressed for LMJs, the dude stepped up in a big game, im sure Gore would have been proud to see that. I know Gore will be gone soon (a sad day indeed) but the RBs we have post Gore are going to do fine thanks to the 49ers all time rusher.

I remember that play. The OL and LMJ did a good job picking up the blitz. It resulted in Kaep running for a first down (about a 15 yard gain) after a huge lane was created by the blitz pickup. It was a 3rd down conversion.
Drove home from the 'stick as fast as I could last night because I coulsn't wait to crank up the DVR and watch this one again. Stayed up till 2 AM.

1) Kaepernick: Can we finally end this debate now? Please? Colin made a few of the mistakes that his critics (or I should say critics of the move to him...I think everyone likes the guy) had always been afraid he would make. Pick 6 on his second pass. Fumbled Snap (tho after rewatching I think the center snapped it early). A few time management issues. Even a poor decision to spike the ball after a big first down.

(Bill Romanowski Voice): Guess What? He bounced back in a BIG way. THAT is why he's playing. Everytime he makes a mistake he seems to take it as a personal challenge to make up for it. He always seems to make a play. I've been talking all along about plays he can make that Alex simply can't. I think we saw about 10 of them last night. The runs. The pinpoint passing. Throwing the ball to Crab. He simply has ability that Alex doesn't. Its that simple. Most importantly, it's the stuff that can't be measured. It's the nerve. Its the ability to rebound. It's the confidense to put the ball in tight spots after making a mistake.

We will never know if the Niners would have won this game with Alex. We very well could have considering the way the rest of the team was playing and the fact that they won in week one. It doesn't matter though. This team won when peeps thought Kaep couldn't. He can. He's now won just as many playoff games as Alex has and he's done it in historic fashion. He just looked like a man among boys at times last night. 181 freakin rush yards on the ground to go with 263 passing. 4 TDs total. The rest of the league is thinking to themselves, "oh f*ck, they have a QB now too!?!".

A star was born last night.

2) Walker: WTF. Dude....go find a jugs machine and take passes NONSTOP till sunday. Seriously. I love your ability dude, but CATCH THE DAMN BALL.

3) Bye: Huge. HUGE. That team looked sooooo much better after the week off. Thank you Minnesota.

4) Frank: Looked GREAT after that week off. This was the best I've ever seen him look late in the season. The plan to spell him throughout the year and now getting that week off have been HUGE. James also looked really good in limited action.

5) "The last american bada$$": I have so much respect for Justin I can't stand it. Not only did he play, but he made a difference. He was getting a push. At the end of the game the Packers were double-teaming the man with one freakin' arm. I don't know how much he has left, but I love this guy. I wish he could play forever.

6) Aldon: He didn't get any sacks, but he played well. Alot of peeps attribute his production decline to Justin being out, but I think that's way overplayed. I think he was tired and hurt and not complaining. Additionally going against Brady and Wilson will lower your numbers. Brady gets rid of it so fast and Wilson was ALMOST sacked 3 or 4 times...he just scrambled away. Aldon looked rejuvinated last night. He was coming hard and was getting pressure most of the night.

7) O-Line: Holy sh*tballs. At one point last night Troy Aikman said that line was the envy of the league. I hate to agree with the guy who drove a dagger through my heart so many times in the early 90's, but he was dead on. That was IMPRESSIVE. Just like you don't simply walk into Mordor, you don't simply rush for 320 plus yards in the playoffs. You don't put up 579 yards...I don't care who you are playing. This is essentially the same line as last year with one big difference: Alex Boone. That one change to the line has made a HUGE difference. Some of that is just getting Snyder/Rachal off the field, but I can't say enough for how Boone has turned his life and the fortunes of that line around.

8) Roman: I hope you guys are enjoying it right now, because Roman has coached his last regular season game for the 49ers. I know some peeps don't like his "conservative" approach, but I love the guy. He's an innovator. My hope is that Harbaugh had alot to do with this offense so there isn't a dropoff next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Ault or Pep Hamilton as the OC next year.

9) Crabtree: Welcome to the big leagues kid. You have arrived.

10) NFC Championship Game: Two years in a row. If someone had told any one of us the day the lockout ended that we'd be playing in the NFCCG the next two years most of us would have asked them to put down the coolaid. I was high on Harbaugh from the very start and even made a "Harbaugh Era Begins" video for youtube because I loved the choice. I knew they had very good personal that fit Harbaughs system, but I never dreamed of this level of success.

The Falcons/Hawks game is just starting now, so I'll sign off. I can't wait till next week.

MODS, PLEASE MKE THIS OFFICIAL. THANKS MUCH.

Colin Kaepernick played a fantastic game and he sure does look like a star in the making. However, the debate won't end until we win the NFC championship game. Kap has to get this team farther this year than Alex Smith did last year. Alex Smith was only progressing as a quarterback. It's as simple as that.

Also, you're absolutely right Smith could not break off those kinds of runs. That is obvious. But I am very tired of people claiming that Alex Smith can't make the throws. Kap has a much stronger arm than Smith, no doubt. Smith still has a good arm and he's made some amazing throws in his own right. Let's not act like he hasn't darted balls into receivers before and put balls right on the money. Can we please stop dissing Alex Smith. Let's be happy that we have two very good quarterbacks on the roster. I hate that when Kaepernick plays great we have to say "see Alex Smith could never do that!?" There is no need for that.

Oh and yeah again, there is no need to imply that teams didn't think Alex Smith was any kind of Quarterback. Let's praise our players, not praise one while dissing another at the same time. I really do enjoy reading your posts though.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Drove home from the 'stick as fast as I could last night because I coulsn't wait to crank up the DVR and watch this one again. Stayed up till 2 AM.

1) Kaepernick: Can we finally end this debate now? Please? Colin made a few of the mistakes that his critics (or I should say critics of the move to him...I think everyone likes the guy) had always been afraid he would make. Pick 6 on his second pass. Fumbled Snap (tho after rewatching I think the center snapped it early). A few time management issues. Even a poor decision to spike the ball after a big first down.

(Bill Romanowski Voice): Guess What? He bounced back in a BIG way. THAT is why he's playing. Everytime he makes a mistake he seems to take it as a personal challenge to make up for it. He always seems to make a play. I've been talking all along about plays he can make that Alex simply can't. I think we saw about 10 of them last night. The runs. The pinpoint passing. Throwing the ball to Crab. He simply has ability that Alex doesn't. Its that simple. Most importantly, it's the stuff that can't be measured. It's the nerve. Its the ability to rebound. It's the confidense to put the ball in tight spots after making a mistake.

We will never know if the Niners would have won this game with Alex. We very well could have considering the way the rest of the team was playing and the fact that they won in week one. It doesn't matter though. This team won when peeps thought Kaep couldn't. He can. He's now won just as many playoff games as Alex has and he's done it in historic fashion. He just looked like a man among boys at times last night. 181 freakin rush yards on the ground to go with 263 passing. 4 TDs total. The rest of the league is thinking to themselves, "oh f*ck, they have a QB now too!?!".

2) Walker: WTF. Dude....go find a jugs machine and take passes NONSTOP till sunday. Seriously. I love your ability dude, but CATCH THE DAMN BALL.

3) Bye: Huge. HUGE. That team looked sooooo much better after the week off. Thank you Minnesota.

4) Frank: Looked GREAT after that week off. This was the best I've ever seen him look late in the season. The plan to spell him throughout the year and now getting that week off have been HUGE. James also looked really good in limited action.

5) "The last american bada$$": I have so much respect for Justin I can't stand it. Not only did he play, but he made a difference. He was getting a push. At the end of the game the Packers were double-teaming the man with one freakin' arm. I don't know how much he has left, but I love this guy. I wish he could play forever.

6) Aldon: He didn't get any sacks, but he played well. Alot of peeps attribute his production decline to Justin being out, but I think that's way overplayed. I think he was tired and hurt and not complaining. Additionally going against Brady and Wilson will lower your numbers. Brady gets rid of it so fast and Wilson was ALMOST sacked 3 or 4 times...he just scrambled away. Aldon looked rejuvinated last night. He was coming hard and was getting pressure most of the night.

7) O-Line: Holy sh*tballs. At one point last night Troy Aikman said that line was the envy of the league. I hate to agree with the guy who drove a dagger through my heart so many times in the early 90's, but he was dead on. That was IMPRESSIVE. Just like you don't simply walk into Mordor, you don't simply rush for 320 plus yards in the playoffs. You don't put up 579 yards...I don't care who you are playing. This is essentially the same line as last year with one big difference: Alex Boone. That one change to the line has made a HUGE difference. Some of that is just getting Snyder/Rachal off the field, but I can't say enough for how Boone has turned his life and the fortunes of that line around.

8) Roman: I hope you guys are enjoying it right now, because Roman has coached his last regular season game for the 49ers. I know some peeps don't like his "conservative" approach, but I love the guy. He's an innovator. My hope is that Harbaugh had alot to do with this offense so there isn't a dropoff next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Ault or Pep Hamilton as the OC next year.

10) NFC Championship Game: Two years in a row. If someone had told any one of us the day the lockout ended that we'd be playing in the NFCCG the next two years most of us would have asked them to put down the coolaid. I was high on Harbaugh from the very start and even made a "Harbaugh Era Begins" video for youtube because I loved the choice. I knew they had very good personal that fit Harbaughs system, but I never dreamed of this level of success.

The Falcons/Hawks game is just starting now, so I'll sign off. I can't wait till next week.

Colin Kaepernick played a fantastic game and he sure does look like a star in the making. However, the debate won't end until we win the NFC championship game. Kap has to get this team farther this year than Alex Smith did last year. Alex Smith was only progressing as a quarterback. It's as simple as that.

Also, you're absolutely right Smith could not break off those kinds of runs. That is obvious. But I am very tired of people claiming that Alex Smith can't make the throws. Kap has a much stronger arm than Smith, no doubt. Smith still has a good arm and he's made some amazing throws in his own right. Let's not act like he hasn't darted balls into receivers before and put balls right on the money. Can we please stop dissing Alex Smith. Let's be happy that we have two very good quarterbacks on the roster. I hate that when Kaepernick plays great we have to say "see Alex Smith could never do that!?" There is no need for that.

Oh and yeah again, there is no need to imply that teams didn't think Alex Smith was any kind of Quarterback. Let's praise our players, not praise one while dissing another at the same time. I really do enjoy reading your posts though.

I'm sorry you view it as "dissing Alex", but I stand by everything I said.

Alex could not...or more accuratly, WOULD NOT have made those throws. The second TD to Crab? Alex wouldn't have thrown it. SEVERAL of the passes that he threw to Crab...along the sideline on a back shoulder throw, on a deep out, on an out for a first down...Alex simply would not have made those throws. Its not because he lacks the arm (although there are some of those too), its because he won't throw to a guy if he isn't wide open.

It isn't a wild coincidense that Crabtree is playing like he did when he was at Texas Tech now with a different QB. The reason is because he is getting his chances to make a play on the ball because the QB is giving him his chances.

I also hate the "until he gets farther than Alex" theory. Its flawed from the start.

The D was playing better at the end of the year last year and the special teams was playing FAR better last year.

What Kaep did on Saturday was WIN the game. He wasn't a guy who played well and let the Defense and Special Teams win. Kaep grabbed it by the reigns and WON THE FREAKIN' GAME.

I'll stop with the comparisons when people stop saying Alex should be starting. I've been defending Alex in this forum since the day he was drafted. I never wavered. I've argued with alot of people in the 'zone about it and I'm sure they would agree with me on that.

Kaep is just a whole different animal.

This absolutely sums it up.

Alex could not...or more accuratly, WOULD NOT have made those throws. The second TD to Crab? Alex wouldn't have thrown it. SEVERAL of the passes that he threw to Crab...along the sideline on a back shoulder throw, on a deep out, on an out for a first down...Alex simply would not have made those throws. Its not because he lacks the arm (although there are some of those too), its because he won't throw to a guy if he isn't wide open.

It isn't a wild coincidense that Crabtree is playing like he did when he was at Texas Tech now with a different QB. The reason is because he is getting his chances to make a play on the ball because the QB is giving him his chances.

I also hate the "until he gets farther than Alex" theory. Its flawed from the start.

The D was playing better at the end of the year last year and the special teams was playing FAR better last year.

What Kaep did on Saturday was WIN the game. He wasn't a guy who played well and let the Defense and Special Teams win. Kaep grabbed it by the reigns and WON THE FREAKIN' GAME.

I'll stop with the comparisons when people stop saying Alex should be starting. I've been defending Alex in this forum since the day he was drafted. I never wavered. I've argued with alot of people in the 'zone about it and I'm sure they would agree with me on that.

Yep, its is absolute fact as to what all of us have seen that Alex just doesn't hit those back shoulder throws to crabs, and i dont see him make throws like the second TD to crabs, maybe the long bomb to Vernon. But i think Marvin is correct in his assessment. Especially after a costly mistake kaep stayed agressive, thats something you dont see form half the QB;s in the league. Guys like Schaub, and others need things to be going perfectly with little to no bumps in the road, i was very impressed with Kaeps ability to lead the team from early adversity, its the main thing i saw this team struggle with at times this year, but he has answered adversity with a resounding thump to its head.

I think we gotta feel good about going to ATL, if we dont make mistakes, i think it should be easier than GB. GB has Rodgers and several great WR's, and lets remember Julio Jones is tall and big, but ROddy is onyl as tall as Crabs, Tony Gonzales is tall and big but we have contained these WR's pretty well, with CJ etc. The score may not be a blowout in the end like Saturday, but i think we can control the game without even showing our full hand before the SB. (Lets hope for a clean, no mistakes, fairly referee'd game.)

I agree Smith may have not made those throws, but don't say he can't. Because he has made similar throws in his career. What I'm simply saying is that there is no reason to even mention Smith and make an argument that he couldn't have done this or couldn't have done that. Why even do that? It's not necessary. You can't say that Alex Smith couldn't have won these games as well. We went 13-3 and also got to the NFC championship last year during a lockout year in the first year under the offense with Smith. Smith was only improving. We don't know what would be happening with Smith, so you can only assume that the decision was absolutely correct if we get farther than we did last year.. because that way you have improved on your total circumstances from last year. Also, Crabtree was coming on in the beginning of the year with Smith at qb. He has gotten even better as the year went on. He has been Kaps primary target, where smith spread it around a bit more. I just think we should keep smith out of it and not state that he can't do this or that and let's appreciate what is going on.
All i'm gonna say is nobody wanted that win more than Frank Gore.

Considering how great the entire team played, that says a lot.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
All i'm gonna say is nobody wanted that win more than Frank Gore.

Considering how great the entire team played, that says a lot.

Frank is the man. We need to get #6 for him!!
Originally posted by jcashen87:

Yep, its is absolute fact as to what all of us have seen that Alex just doesn't hit those back shoulder throws to crabs, and i dont see him make throws like the second TD to crabs, maybe the long bomb to Vernon. But i think Marvin is correct in his assessment. Especially after a costly mistake kaep stayed agressive, thats something you dont see form half the QB;s in the league. Guys like Schaub, and others need things to be going perfectly with little to no bumps in the road, i was very impressed with Kaeps ability to lead the team from early adversity, its the main thing i saw this team struggle with at times this year, but he has answered adversity with a resounding thump to its head.

I think we gotta feel good about going to ATL, if we dont make mistakes, i think it should be easier than GB. GB has Rodgers and several great WR's, and lets remember Julio Jones is tall and big, but ROddy is onyl as tall as Crabs, Tony Gonzales is tall and big but we have contained these WR's pretty well, with CJ etc. The score may not be a blowout in the end like Saturday, but i think we can control the game without even showing our full hand before the SB. (Lets hope for a clean, no mistakes, fairly referee'd game.)
Sigh, it's an absolute fact? I can cite an example contradicting this.. Smith made a much deeper back shoulder throw to Kyle Williams vs Bills this year. Smith is a good quarterback that can make great throws too. Can we please stop claiming that he can't make throws. No need to even talk about Alex Smith. Let's enjoy what Kap did and strictly talk about his talent and the game he played, without throwing out these comparisons and saying Smith can't do this or that which Kap did. How about we say what Kap did was awesome and leave it at that..
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I cant remember when it happened but LMJ was in the play and it was a pass play and LMJs was blocking. Kapp snaps the ball and LMJs tracks a LB(?) going from right of the line to left coming in on a blitz. And LMJs picks him up, Kapp steps up and I really cant remember if it resulted in a TD or what. But I was really impressed for LMJs, the dude stepped up in a big game, im sure Gore would have been proud to see that. I know Gore will be gone soon (a sad day indeed) but the RBs we have post Gore are going to do fine thanks to the 49ers all time rusher.

I know what play you 're talking about, it jumped off the screen to me as well. Pretty darn impressed with LaMike's pass protection, not just knowing his assignment but really sticking his face in there and being physical too.

Although I shouldn't be too surprised, he is learning from one of the best in the biz.
Sure was a good thing that the Packers got to face Joe Webb in the wild card round. Sure helped them prep for Kaep. Was that McCarthy who said that? Thought it was a slap in the face to Kaep when it was said. After watching Kaep destroy the Peckers, it REALLY seems like slap in the face. Kaep certainly got the last laugh!
One crazy thing about the game is trying to remember all the big plays, there was so many of them!!!

Kap had so many big runs, Gore had some big plays, Crabs was awesome, VD had one huge catch, the throws were amazing, the ST had a fumble recovery, then the next punt was at the 10, the D had the huge INT with a good runback, the D made some huge stops on 3rd, the list goes on and on....
Kap just has QB swag. He has that 'don't mess w/ me bro' look that not all QBs have. Tom Brady has it. Aaron Rodgers has it. And Kap has it.

It's the swag that makes you as a fan believe in him even after he effs it up, like that pick on the first drive. That's why a lot of us were thinking, he probably has a major chip on his shoulder now. Go out and get it back, and wow.