There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

This is funny because me and Marv used to have the same arguments. lol
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
That's fine, post as you want to post. I enjoy your posts. But I don't agree with bringing up Alex Smith and saying that teams were saying "oh s**t they have a qb now too", that statement is bashing Alex Smith whether you intended it or not. It's not fitting for the thread. That is not a comparison between Kap and Smith. You are slighting Smith by saying that. Like I said before, with that statement you are praising one guy, and taking a jab at another guy at the same time. It's really not necessary as it'll just rile people up.

No one is calling for Smith. You're just adding fuel to the fire. Let's just talk about Kap and enjoy his success! But it's whatever, do what you want. Just my opinion and a little advice. Keep up the good post-game posts.

Why is it that everyone is ok and can accept constructive criticism about any other player, but when it comes to Alex Smith AND ONLY Alex Smith, people get warnings?

Like his name is becoming forbidden and its sinful and blasphemous to talk about him. lol...good grief.
Originally posted by verb1der:
That's fine, post as you want to post. I enjoy your posts. But I don't agree with bringing up Alex Smith and saying that teams were saying "oh s**t they have a qb now too", that statement is bashing Alex Smith whether you intended it or not. It's not fitting for the thread. That is not a comparison between Kap and Smith. You are slighting Smith by saying that. Like I said before, with that statement you are praising one guy, and taking a jab at another guy at the same time. It's really not necessary as it'll just rile people up.

No one is calling for Smith. You're just adding fuel to the fire. Let's just talk about Kap and enjoy his success! But it's whatever, do what you want. Just my opinion and a little advice. Keep up the good post-game posts.

Why is it that everyone is ok and can accept constructive criticism about any other player, but when it comes to Alex Smith AND ONLY Alex Smith, people get warnings?

Like his name is becoming forbidden and its sinful and blasphemous to talk about him. lol...good grief.

thou shalt not speak of his name in vain
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by verb1der:

thou shalt not speak of his name in vain

I don't see any posts about the thread subject lately.
Did GB spy Kaep? Numerous articles said they did leave a LB to spy, but got beat frequently. Is this something defense will be able to remedy or was Kaep just all-out gaming last saturday?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Did GB spy Kaep? Numerous articles said they did leave a LB to spy, but got beat frequently. Is this something defense will be able to remedy or was Kaep just all-out gaming last saturday?

i'm guessing the weakside LB was the spy...but there's no way he can take the RB/QB at the same time
Hey Mar,

Keep up the fine work. And as a SUGGESTION. Avoid even mentioning Alex so the hijackers will have less to whine about.
Forgot which radio interview said it but with Kaep, it is more of a thinking of not to stop him, but simply contain him.

Prior to that, our QB contained himself.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

i'm guessing the weakside LB was the spy...but there's no way he can take the RB/QB at the same time

There where a few occasions I noticed a spy on him but he was just able to out sprint them every time.
Geez I wonder what the talk in the WZ would have been if we had Internet back in the Montana Young days....
Originally posted by susweel:
This is funny because me and Marv used to have the same arguments. lol

lol.

Sorta....I never told peeps that saying somebody was better was taking a swipe at Alex tho.

That's lunacy to me.

All of this.

No need to knock one guy down to pump up the other guy. The other guy is doing very well and doesn't need you to push down the prior guy.

Not complicated. You can "post how you want to post, Marv"... but then don't in turn get all bent outta shape when people think less of your posts and intentions when you do so.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

All of this.

No need to knock one guy down to pump up the other guy. The other guy is doing very well and doesn't need you to push down the prior guy.

Not complicated. You can "post how you want to post, Marv"... but then don't in turn get all bent outta shape when people think less of your posts and intentions when you do so.

Sigh.

Still don't get it.

My issue with this is that it seems that almost ANYTHING I say, factual or not, bends YOU out of shape.

Look, I'm tired of this. I'm not gonna comment on this crap again...but the bottom line for me is that anyone who has an issue with what I'm sayin in regards to Alex needs to get a much thicker skin. Alex sure as hell has one...try taking his lead.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I agree Smith may have not made those throws, but don't say he can't. Because he has made similar throws in his career. What I'm simply saying is that there is no reason to even mention Smith and make an argument that he couldn't have done this or couldn't have done that. Why even do that? It's not necessary. You can't say that Alex Smith couldn't have won these games as well. We went 13-3 and also got to the NFC championship last year during a lockout year in the first year under the offense with Smith. Smith was only improving. We don't know what would be happening with Smith, so you can only assume that the decision was absolutely correct if we get farther than we did last year.. because that way you have improved on your total circumstances from last year. Also, Crabtree was coming on in the beginning of the year with Smith at qb. He has gotten even better as the year went on. He has been Kaps primary target, where smith spread it around a bit more. I just think we should keep smith out of it and not state that he can't do this or that and let's appreciate what is going on.

Great post. There was no reason to throw Alex into the OP and try to minimize him. Doing that just lessens your whole post, and makes all of your "positive" remarks of # 11 (new or old) look shallow and empty.

Ck7 is a whole different animal, and much props to him for that. He's really good, and much better than I expected at this point. So really... he doesn't need you to cut down the other guy in order to prop him on your shoulders.

Dude. Chill.

Seriously.

As long as there are people here who say that Alex should remain the starter, I'm going to draw the comparison. Illustrating the difference between the two isn't "minimizing him". Its taking a look at the reasons Harbaugh made the switch.

If you think my defense of Alex was "hollow and empty" then you simple don't have any clue what I'm talking about. It "lessens the post"? Then move on and read a different one. I'm really kinda tired of peeps making this same argument every week that I am throwing Alex under the bus by making the comparison. No. The comparison of both players play on the field is what is throwing him under the bus. If Alex could live up to the comparison, then we wouldn't have an issue and he would still be the starter.

I like Alex. I always have. He has ALWAYS been a much better player than most people gave him credit for. That doesn't mean tho that I didn't recognize his limitations as a player. It doesn't make me a "hater" or mean I'm throwing him under the bus. It means I am capable of admitting that I was WRONG initially when I thought that Kaep should sit for at least another year. It means I am capable of admitting that I was WRONG when I said he was too raw.

Too often peeps in this forum grab ahold of their position and then will stubbornly defend it...forever. Even in the face of insurmountable evidense, they will defend their position because they don't want to be wrong.

So...let me say that again. I was WRONG about Kaep (especially in the preseason). When I write these posts I am still explaining WHY I was wrong.

You don't like how I do that? Move on.

Well quite frankly you can post whatever you'd like. I was wrong about Kap too. I didn't think he was the right guy to put in at this point in time. I thought it was a gamble that we didn't have to make. So far, Harbaugh and Kap have proven me wrong and I'm very glad about that.

Again though, there is no reason to mention Alex Smith. There is no reason to mention his limitations and say he simply can't do these things. I don't think anyone at this point in time is calling to start Alex Smith now. All you are doing by mentioning Alex Smith is antagonizing his fans and in a way 'rubbing it in', like "See Alex Smith could never do that. He simply doesn't have the skill set and couldn't make these throws".

When you said that teams now say "oh s**t they have a quarterback now too", that is in a way bashing Alex Smith by implying he really isn't much of a qb. Alex Smith can't break off those runs, but he is a good quarterback and has made great throws himself. Let's just leave him out of it as he didn't play in the game. I know you've stated time after time that you have always been an Alex Smith fan, so out of respect for him let's praise Kap and leave Smith alone. By mentioning Smith and saying he can't do this or that, you just rile the Smith supporters up. We have two very good quarterbacks, let's be happy with that!

Like I said though, you can post whatever you'd like, I just don't agree with having to draw out these 'comparisons' and saying that Smith can't do some of these things that Kap can and saying things like teams fear us because we actually have a qb now. I don't think this is necessary. I think we should talk about the positives and also the negatives of players that have played in the game each particular week. I don't think anyone is saying to put Alex Smith back in there now. We should also appreciate what we have with our qb situation. Just my opinion.

Well...let me say it like this....

If nobody is going to be all over this board saying Alex Smith should be the starter should Kaep lose, then I'll never make the comparison again. Sadly, my experience is that those peeps are just being silent right now just waiting for the chance to jump in (which I think is kinda sad).

I experienced the EXACT same phenomenon when Alex played well and then had an off game.

As for the "oh sh*t" part, do you really think that players around the league aren't thinking that? Do you really not think that players would much rather play Alex than Kaep? I'm not trying to insite anything, but I think people need a little infusion of reality here.

Alex is a good QB on a team that has no right to be a talented as it is. He has been the weakest link on a team without weaknesses. The "chunk plays" in the passing game are the one piece that was missing.

I guess the genesis of that saying was something Tom Tolbert once said in regards to Michael Jordan. When he came into the league he was an unfinished player. Every offseason he would come back and would have added something to his game. He's come back and they'd be like "oh crap, he can play defense now too!?!". I'm not trying to rip on Alex...I'm trying to say the rest of the league knows how good this team is...and then a star was born at the QB position on Saturday Night.

They may fear Kap more than Smith because of his big play ability. But at the same time, I don't think any team was passing off Smith as not being a threatening qb, such as you implied. Smith is a top qb in this league. He was playing as a top 10 qb. He's no slouch and has a ton of talent in his own right. Many teams will show interest in him this offseason. We just happen to have another quarterback who Coach Harbaugh believed was even better.

Ummmmmmm.........as I recall every team we faced when straight man-to-man, brought everyone else in the box and dared Alex to beat them. What Alex became very adept at was making small adjustments at the line to create some space in those short-medium passing situations which enabled him to be more effective. Is he a top 10? I suppose so. But is he someone a team is going to trade for at years end and the 49ers can expect to get a lot in return (a la Matt Schaub to Texans)? I doubt it.

Having said that, if I'm the Jets, the Jaguars, the Titans or even the Arizona Cardinals I'm taking a long look for a QB for the next 3 years of re-tooling.

Perhaps a better question is, would you - right now - build a franchise around Alex Smith? I wouldn't, but I would bet more than a few would answer yes to that question if the QB was Kaepernick.

Incidentally, what is happening now with Kaepernick is an example of what happens when a QB is brought along the right way. Perhaps things would have been different for Alex had he been afforded that same opportunity years ago, but that is in the past and of no consequence now. I would feel sorry him because I like the guy, but understand this man has also walked away from the 49ers with about $50 million in his pocket.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]