LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 303 users in the forums

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hofer36:
cant imagine what the outcry would be on this board had alex smith missed 3 passing attempts from the 5 yard line and niners lost the superbowl

alex would never have us in that position so the point is moot.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Why is that crap?

Hmm...

1) Alex Smith has played 80 games. The starter has played 10. The expectations for Smith are higher as he has more experience and should not make the same inexperienced mistakes a 1st year starter would. Some here seem to struggle with this. If the current starter is in his 8th year and can't throw a fade or goes 1-15 on 3rd down I will bet my life savings that he will be critiqued just as harshly or even worse than Smith has.

2) Out of the 3 passes, one was a clear hold and the other was a drop by Crabs. I would love to hear the excuses if Smith was in this situation.

3) Smith would not have had us 5 yards from winning a Super Bowl.

4) The poster I responded to has had a hard time dealing with Smith being benched.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
30 more days...

Until Alex is no longer a niner!

You don't know this, so don't post it.

And as a general comment I am quite happy to move to Plan B which is anyone who cannot post with class on the subject gets an ongoing suspension until the Smith situation is resolved.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
cant imagine what the outcry would be on this board had alex smith missed 3 passing attempts from the 5 yard line and niners lost the superbowl

Not this crap again.

Why is that crap?

because he doesnt like anything he thinks reflects poorly on kaepernick -apparentlyit is like touching an exposed nerve
and the funny thing is im not being crticial of kaepernick at all--he brought the niners back in the game...im pointing out that prior criticsm of smith derives from a different standard than how kaepernick is viewed
Originally posted by SJniner7:
30 more days...

Until Alex is no longer a niner!

He's still under contract...You're PROBABLY right...but with Baalke, I wouldn't want to bet.
Why is that crap?

Hmm...

1) Alex Smith has played 80 games. The starter has played 10. The expectations for Smith are higher as he has more experience and should not make the same inexperienced mistakes a 1st year starter would. Some here seem to struggle with this. If the current starter is in his 8th year and can't throw a fade or goes 1-15 on 3rd down I will bet my life savings that he will be critiqued just as harshly or even worse than Smith has.

2) Out of the 3 passes, one was a clear hold and the other was a drop by Crabs. I would love to hear the excuses if Smith was in this situation.

3) Smith would not have had us 5 yards from winning a Super Bowl.

4) The poster I responded to has had a hard time dealing with Smith being benched.

ironic you say "I would love to hear the excuses if Smith was in this situation", such comments being preceeded by excuses for kaerpnick i.e. a drop by crabs (at the 2 yard line--if caught it wouldnt have made a difference, a clear hold (on a pass that was arguably uncatchable as it was out of bounds)--

as for #4 you obviously have a hard time dealing with any criticsm of kaerpernick--when his play is lacking it is fair to note that, whether you can bear it or not---kaerpnick froze on the 2nd down play and did not get rid of the ball quickly enough--that is a fact whteher he has 8 year expereince or 10 games experience

as for whether smith would have had niners within 5 years, i'll offer the same response you did to those who said that niners would have won if smith had been playing--no one can say for certain
ironic you say "I would love to hear the excuses if Smith was in this situation", such comments being preceeded by excuses for kaerpnick i.e. a drop by crabs (at the 2 yard line--if caught it wouldnt have made a difference, a clear hold (on a pass that was arguably uncatchable as it was out of bounds)--

as for #4 you obviously have a hard time dealing with any criticsm of kaerpernick--when his play is lacking it is fair to note that, whether you can bear it or not---kaerpnick froze on the 2nd down play and did not get rid of the ball quickly enough--that is a fact whteher he has 8 year expereince or 10 games experience

as for whether smith would have had niners within 5 years, i'll offer the same response you did to those who said that niners would have won if smith had been playing--no one can say for certain

I don't have a hard time dealing with criticism of Kaepernick. There are things he needs to improve on. But to compare his criticism to what Alex gets makes no sense. Experience is paramount. I'm really tired of hearing the "Alex would have..." or the "If Alex..." It is crap. Kaep's mistakes were based on EXPERIENCE. Why is this so hard for you and some others to understand? We get to a play away from winning the Super Bowl and you're talking about what the backup (who was benched btw) could have done? Laughable.

Smith would not have gotten us this far. Smith would have won shootouts against the Packers, Falcons and Ravens while being down 17 and 22 points in two of those games? C'mon!

You can point out areas where he needs to improve, sure. But when you criticize him about plays where clearly his inexperience was to blame and then compare that to an 8 year vet you lose credibility.

You're just going to have to deal with the fact that Smith is no longer the starter and will likely be moved.
because he doesnt like anything he thinks reflects poorly on kaepernick -apparentlyit is like touching an exposed nerve
and the funny thing is im not being crticial of kaepernick at all--he brought the niners back in the game...im pointing out that prior criticsm of smith derives from a different standard than how kaepernick is viewed

That standard is experience! Being critical is one thing. Comparing the level of criticism of a 1st year starter who got us to 5 yards away from a Championship to a guy who has been poor for 75% of his 8 year career is unfathomable.

I don't have a hard time dealing with criticism of Kaepernick. There are things he needs to improve on. But to compare his criticism to what Alex gets makes no sense. Experience is paramount. I'm really tired of hearing the "Alex would have..." or the "If Alex..." It is crap. Kaep's mistakes were based on EXPERIENCE. Why is this so hard for you and some others to understand? We get to a play away from winning the Super Bowl and you're talking about what the backup (who was benched btw) could have done? Laughable.

Smith would not have gotten us this far. Smith would have won shootouts against the Packers, Falcons and Ravens while being down 17 and 22 points in two of those games? C'mon!

You can point out areas where he needs to improve, sure. But when you criticize him about plays where clearly his inexperience was to blame and then compare that to an 8 year vet you lose credibility.

You're just going to have to deal with the fact that Smith is no longer the starter and will likely be moved.

This is the Alex Smith thread so why can't he talk about what ifs with Smith? I don't understand why some people get upset because others don't have the same opinion of Smith as them.

The offense is explosive and more dynamic with Kaep but to say Alex wouldn't have gotten us this far is speculation. No one knows for sure what would have happened if Alex stayed the starter.

That standard is experience! Being critical is one thing. Comparing the level of criticism of a 1st year starter who got us to 5 yards away from a Championship to a guy who has been poor for 75% of his 8 year career is unfathomable.

Why are you bringing up experience? This team was Superbowl or bust this year and everyone knew it including our HC. Now, he put Kaep in there cause he said he gave us the best chance to win the Superbowl in his opinion (and many in here). There is no excuse for inexperience, period, otherwise you never, ever make that switch. Why is that so hard to understand.

experience is just an alexscuse for kaepernick-in my opinion---and we are allowed to have opinions even if they differ from yours without a hissy fit being thrown by you
Originally posted by rk1642:
Why are you bringing up experience? This team was Superbowl or bust this year and everyone knew it including our HC. Now, he put Kaep in there cause he said he gave us the best chance to win the Superbowl in his opinion (and many in here). There is no excuse for inexperience, period, otherwise you never, ever make that switch. Why is that so hard to understand.

Pretty sure the switch was the right move.
experience is just an alexscuse for kaepernick-in my opinion---and we are allowed to have opinions even if they differ from yours without a hissy fit being thrown by you

You are welcome to your opinion. Funny thing is if I give my opinion I'm called a "hater". Love how that works. It is weird how "experience" can't be applicable to a 1st year starter.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
F### sake people. How many times?
Share 49ersWebzone