Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Alex is a good QB. Kaepernick is a good QB. Kaepernick is the QB that our team is moving forward with.

That's it. Leave all the petty BS behind and let's just move on, yeah?

You know that's not going to happen......

Probably not, but one can hope
do you think we will address our back up qb issue with a draft pick or a vet. i hope for a vet myself

Tolzien has shown he's a pretty damn good pocket passer...I dont mind him one bit being our backup...maybe draft a project in the 7th for 3rd string??? my two cents

Tolzien has shown as much as any vet I would want. With 15 picks in the draft, I would expect a late round QB

I don't think we bother to Draft a qb. We will hire a fa qb to throw the ball with a chance to push tolzien and be dropped at the cut deadlines.
  • dj43
Larry Krueger, one of the staff at KNBR in San Francisco, had some interesting comments yesterday on Alex Smith's situation with the 49ers. He noted all the back and forth, particularly in the area that "the 49ers should do the right thing by Alex and reward him with a free release so he could find the best possible situation for him." So he decided to "use my sources with the 49ers" to see what their position might be.

What he learned was that Harbaalke is likely to play hardball with Smith in the offseason. They believe he is worth a 1st or at least a 2nd round draft choice and will try to trade him for such. However, they will not trade him to Arizona and would prefer to trade him to an AFC team if possible. If they cannot find a suitable trading partner, they will keep him as backup next season (the last of his current 3 year contract). They believe they can win a Super Bowl with this current roster and Smith as QB though they obviously prefer Kaepernick. They know that most of their key players are at the peak of their careers and the time to win it all is now. Therefore they are not willing to take a chance on Tolzien or some other rookie or FA. Smith's $8MILLION salary is less than over half the starting QBs in the league and roughly $2MILLION more than the backup average. Considering the quality of Alex' potential play in relief of an injured Kaepernick, they believe that keeping him on the roster would be worthwhile investment to assure that they can put a SB ring on the hands of players now on the roster. IOW, they are willing to go all in to win this season and next while Willis, Bowman, Crabtree and friends are healthy and at their prime.
Originally posted by dj43:
Larry Krueger, one of the staff at KNBR in San Francisco, had some interesting comments yesterday on Alex Smith's situation with the 49ers. He noted all the back and forth, particularly in the area that "the 49ers should do the right thing by Alex and reward him with a free release so he could find the best possible situation for him." So he decided to "use my sources with the 49ers" to see what their position might be.

What he learned was that Harbaalke is likely to play hardball with Smith in the offseason. They believe he is worth a 1st or at least a 2nd round draft choice and will try to trade him for such. However, they will not trade him to Arizona and would prefer to trade him to an AFC team if possible. If they cannot find a suitable trading partner, they will keep him as backup next season (the last of his current 3 year contract). They believe they can win a Super Bowl with this current roster and Smith as QB though they obviously prefer Kaepernick. They know that most of their key players are at the peak of their careers and the time to win it all is now. Therefore they are not willing to take a chance on Tolzien or some other rookie or FA. Smith's $8MILLION salary is less than over half the starting QBs in the league and roughly $2MILLION more than the backup average. Considering the quality of Alex' potential play in relief of an injured Kaepernick, they believe that keeping him on the roster would be worthwhile investment to assure that they can put a SB ring on the hands of players now on the roster. IOW, they are willing to go all in to win this season and next while Willis, Bowman, Crabtree and friends are healthy and at their prime.

That sounds fairly reasonable.
The question is whether or not Alex Smith would be OK with that situation. We don't know what is going on inside his head right now. Ironically, I think the better Kap plays, the more likely Smith would be OK with being in a backup role with this team next year, because he won't feel as insulted with losing his starting job.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Larry Krueger got inside sources, lol that's funny.

Smith makes too much money to be on the team next year and his trade value will drop once his $7.5 million contract becomes guaranteed on April 1st.
I think they will release him.
  • dj43
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That sounds fairly reasonable.
The question is whether or not Alex Smith would be OK with that situation. We don't know what is going on inside his head right now. Ironically, I think the better Kap plays, the more likely Smith would be OK with being in a backup role with this team next year, because he won't feel as insulted with losing his starting job.
That seems a reasonable conclusion.

Krueger asserts that given their preferences, both the 49ers and Smith would prefer he be somewhere else...and that is where the hardball stance comes in. They believe that Alex would continue to maintain his very level stance rather than make waves should they tell him "we tried to make a trade that would be acceptable to us but you are more valuable to us as a backup than what others were willing to offer." So they are telling him he has to wait another year to get his free agency status.
Originally posted by 49ermark:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49ermark:
This is halarious why do you as mods find it so gratifying to place a dude on restriction for posting something like that?? The webzone use to be kinda fun thus is borderline rediciulous.

You find permanent argument and b***hing fun? You think going into a thread and posting for no other reason than to wind up other fans and maybe get them banned is fun?

You have a problem, take it up in the proper fashion. Not in a thread about quarterbacks.

Hey man, I'm just pointing out that the MODs are getting Outta hand latley- we are 49er fans and we drink and get emotional I feel we deserve to be a little excited every now and again I don't think I deserved to get suspended for saying a bad word by you in a heated game in NT. I think you're being a little too tick tacky with your suspensions - what that dude said was not banned or suspended worthy. and to answer your question a healthy debate is fine nothing a poster should get banned for. Peace and love bro niner fan for life

You apparently didn't read my post. Please take any such issues out of the football threads and use the pm the mods facility.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Smith makes too much money to be on the team next year and his trade value will drop once his $7.5 million contract becomes guaranteed on April 1st.
I think they will release him.

Did you read the part about the analysis of his contract? Krueger claims the 49er position is that since the AVERAGE backup makes only $2MILLION LESS than Smith would next year, and not be nearly as good, they will not part with him over $2,000,000 and have to go find someone else that could win if Kaepernick goes down. With the current roster and their ages, they are not willing to take that chance.
i wonder if there is any nice qb prospects in the 2013 draft that harbaugh likes as a #3 qb
Did you read the part about the analysis of his contract? Krueger claims the 49er position is that since the AVERAGE backup makes only $2MILLION LESS than Smith would next year, and not be nearly as good, they will not part with him over $2,000,000 and have to go find someone else that could win if Kaepernick goes down. With the current roster and their ages, they are not willing to take that chance.

They have a backup for next year that will make a half million dollars next year and they will not sign a backup for $6 million either IMO. I'd like to see him get a chance elsewhere.

• jdean
  • Veteran

Just curious but how much wil kap make next year? I'm sure it's not even close to what smith makes , so will he want an extension so he can make starters pay. If the niners won't do that will he be upset with being the starter and getting back-up pay?

If true, that's very interesting. If they end up keeping Alex, I wonder if they would try to maneuver to sign Goldson somehow (restructure salaries etc).

A 1st is iffy, but a 2nd is not out of the question. But honestly, a 2nd from a team that needs a QB will be within the first 15 picks of the round, and that's pretty damn good as well.

Now trade that 2nd for a 1st in 2014 and we're in business!!
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not think he is our back up for next year. i think you bring in a vet. if alex was not here and ck got hurt, i would not feel good

Tolzien can handle it. Have you watched him play? There is a reason they call him "baby Drew Brees."
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM ]
Alex should not be here next year and here's why. We need to free up salary to re-sign Hawk and shore up other positions. Also, Smith wants to start and he should start somewhere. Why would he want to be a backup in SF when he can start somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be released or traded and I wouldn't blame him.
Share 49ersWebzone