There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

For the last 10 years or so..

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
03-04............ 2-14, with both wins over arizona in OT........
I am an old school fan, I have lived through 2-14 three times, hopefully never again.
Direct Thanks: Jed York, Trent Baalke, and Jim Harbaugh.

Indirect thanks to the crap-ness: Nolan, Singletary, and McCloughan.

Getting over the hump thanks: Jim Harbaugh for benching Alex for good.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I figured Rattay would be a game-manager type and Barlow was paid big bucks but instead of power running, he was dancing-with-the-stars in the backfield. Thank goodness Gore showed promise his rookie year and took over the starting role eventually. If anyone deserves a SB title, it's Gore followed by Willis...they've been with us for the longest time.

I agree. I think the year Barlow played well was that year he trained with TO in the offseason. I read a report that he would sneak off to go get bacon and pancakes and TO, of all people, would have to go find him and tell him to get back to working out and his diet...should have been a tell tell sign.

Dont get it twisted. TO had an incredible work ethic throughout his career. Its a shame that some of the silly stuff clouds people's memory of him. He was a great Niner and a much better leader than people remember him being.

I know he did, just look at how quick he came back form that broken leg and you know...but to have him be the responsible one to tell you to tighten up is still pretty funny. I love me some TO but he was a headcase, plain and simple.
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Jan 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM ]
The last 8 or 9 years before Harbaugh came aboard have reminded me of the 70's. A string of poor coaching and failed QB experiments. The only QB that has been any good has been Alex Smith and they almost ruined him with horrible coaching. The end of the string also reminds me of that period - a college coach (from Stanford??!!) comes on and develops his own QB, system and coaching tree.
Originally posted by BobS:
I am an old school fan, I have lived through 2-14 three times, hopefully never again.

Could you imagine if there was "Niner talk" in the 70's??? wow

Doom and gloom squared. There would be talk of suicide. Those were very tough years to be a Niner fan. And, the Raiders were real good which made it even harder.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Doom and gloom squared. There would be talk of suicide. Those were very tough years to be a Niner fan. And, the Raiders were real good which made it even harder.

I was lucky enough to be born in 1980, so all I knew were good times. The terrible stretch we have had has really made me appreciate these last 2 years
Those s**tty maroon uniforms with the black & gold trim are also a bad reminder of those dark days!
What I do not miss is the zoners praising the great stats of Rattay and Dorsery. Both qb's sucked in the first half, the other team switched to a zone defense and gave away everything underneath. The qb's would dink and dunk (which the defense let them to eat up the clock). In the end the niners lost 31 to 14 or 31 to 21, then everyone would come on saying look how good (insert scrub qb here (Rattay, Dorsey, pickett, stenstrom) they went 18 for 31 and got 201 yards, not bad......

I do notr miss those days of wallowing in mediocrity.
I agree, the last two years have been great... such a nice breath of fresh air! I will add this note: I have also noticed that (at least for me) it's more 'stressful' to watch games this season. It's so much easier to get frustrated when you are expected to win and things just aren't clicking. A great example would be last week's 1st quarter against the Cardinals...
I actually thought of making a thread about this, recalling all of the draft talk we had around this time of year leading up the start of the regular season. Boy have we come a long way.

When Erickson was hired, I figured we would be mediocre for a feel years, similar to his Seattle teams before he was eventually fired. With Garcia, TO, Tai Streets, etc, I figured we'd have a pretty decent pass defense.

Then we blew the team up in 2004.

We traded out of a perfect spot to draft Vince Wilfork and picked up Rashaun Woods instead. Funny thing is, the 2004 draft did net us Shawntae Spencer, Isaac Soapoaga, and I think Andy Lee. Not a great draft, but not the bust of 2008 either.

I started following the webzone and Niner Talk around this time, but didn't join until 2007.

I remember the debate of who we should hire as head coach. After the success of Marvin Lewis early on in cincinatti (former Baltimore DC), I figured we were ok with Mike Nolan.

In 2005, I wanted us to go with Braylon Edwards (lol) or Aaron Rodgers. I thought Tim Rattay had a shot to make it if he had SOME kind of offense around him. I assumed Kevan Barlow would bounce back to his play from 2001-2003.

I remember being mad that Mike Nolan wouldn't at least let Jerry Rice try out. That left a bad taste in my mouth early on.

I remember that Mike Nolan had a plan.

I remember how quicky Jamie Winborn fell out of favor. Clean out your locker, right?

I remember the Reggie Bush Bowl. I was in college at the time, speaking of the greatness of the Gore-Bush backfield in 2006.

I remember the discussions about who we should draft in 2006. We knew Bush wouldn't fall that far, but there was a very slight chance we thought we'd get Mario Williams.

We drafted Vernon Davis and I was content however.

2006 brought a lot of optimism. We looked competitive, the defense was shored up in the second half of the season, boasting stars such as the great Brandon Moore (remember him?). We hoped that Manny Lawson would be the next Julian Peterson. We watched Alex Smith look like an actual starting QB under Norv Turner. We watched Frank Gore run all through defenses, with a ridiculous ypc in many games, only to be pulled many times because we were down by so many points. We watched Mike Nolan elect to not go for it on 4 and 1 against the Rams, and that spelled the end to our hot streak. Then I believe at the end of the season, we knocked the Broncos from playoff contention. Yes, we were very optimistic in 2006.

Then Norv left.

We promoted Hosteler to keep continuity within the same system.

We won the free agency Super Bowl with Michael Lewis, Nate Clements, Tully Banta Cain, Ashley "Free Ashley" Lelie, and some Baltimore scrub named Aubrayo Franklin.

The draft came. Most wanted Patrick Willis. Some wanted Adam Carriker. Most were right. I choose not to recall the events that transpired after May 2007.

Boy have we come a LOOOOONG way.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I actually thought of making a thread about this, recalling all of the draft talk we had around this time of year leading up the start of the regular season. Boy have we come a long way.

When Erickson was hired, I figured we would be mediocre for a feel years, similar to his Seattle teams before he was eventually fired. With Garcia, TO, Tai Streets, etc, I figured we'd have a pretty decent pass defense.

Then we blew the team up in 2004.

We traded out of a perfect spot to draft Vince Wilfork and picked up Rashaun Woods instead. Funny thing is, the 2004 draft did net us Shawntae Spencer, Isaac Soapoaga, and I think Andy Lee. Not a great draft, but not the bust of 2008 either.

I started following the webzone and Niner Talk around this time, but didn't join until 2007.

I remember the debate of who we should hire as head coach. After the success of Marvin Lewis early on in cincinatti (former Baltimore DC), I figured we were ok with Mike Nolan.

In 2005, I wanted us to go with Braylon Edwards (lol) or Aaron Rodgers. I thought Tim Rattay had a shot to make it if he had SOME kind of offense around him. I assumed Kevan Barlow would bounce back to his play from 2001-2003.

I remember being mad that Mike Nolan wouldn't at least let Jerry Rice try out. That left a bad taste in my mouth early on.

I remember that Mike Nolan had a plan.

I remember how quicky Jamie Winborn fell out of favor. Clean out your locker, right?

I remember the Reggie Bush Bowl. I was in college at the time, speaking of the greatness of the Gore-Bush backfield in 2006.

I remember the discussions about who we should draft in 2006. We knew Bush wouldn't fall that far, but there was a very slight chance we thought we'd get Mario Williams.

We drafted Vernon Davis and I was content however.

2006 brought a lot of optimism. We looked competitive, the defense was shored up in the second half of the season, boasting stars such as the great Brandon Moore (remember him?). We hoped that Manny Lawson would be the next Julian Peterson. We watched Alex Smith look like an actual starting QB under Norv Turner. We watched Frank Gore run all through defenses, with a ridiculous ypc in many games, only to be pulled many times because we were down by so many points. We watched Mike Nolan elect to not go for it on 4 and 1 against the Rams, and that spelled the end to our hot streak. Then I believe at the end of the season, we knocked the Broncos from playoff contention. Yes, we were very optimistic in 2006.

Then Norv left.

We promoted Hosteler to keep continuity within the same system.

We won the free agency Super Bowl with Michael Lewis, Nate Clements, Tully Banta Cain, Ashley "Free Ashley" Lelie, and some Baltimore scrub named Aubrayo Franklin.

The draft came. Most wanted Patrick Willis. Some wanted Adam Carriker. Most were right. I choose not to recall the events that transpired after May 2007.

Boy have we come a LOOOOONG way.

Hard for me to admit but I wanted Braylon too . My argument was he would make any QB better. I guess that is why I am not an NFL GM! (I do put amazing teams together on Madden 13 though )
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Yes, we were very optimistic in 2006.

Then Norv left.

I still hold a grudge.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Direct Thanks: Jed York, Trent Baalke, and Jim Harbaugh.

Indirect thanks to the crap-ness: Nolan, Singletary, and McCloughan.

Getting over the hump thanks: Jim Harbaugh for benching Alex for good.

this
  • ace52
  • Veteran
The last 2 years have provided, for me, some of the most exciting (and nerve-wracking!) 49ers games of the last decade. I thank the new JH regime for that.
IMO, the 2 most important events that have happened to the 49ers since the end of the Steve Young era are:
1) The hiring of Harbaugh
2) The promotion of Kaepernick to starting QB (I may be premature in saying this, but I really believe that this move will prove to have a strong, positive impact on the 49ers' future for many years to come).