There are 168 users in the forums

Kaepernick vs RGIII and others - Statistical Comparison...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by denali22:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Unfortunately, this will turn into a Kap vs. Alex thread and it shouldn't because you bring up legit points.

lol you're the first person who mentioned alex. stay on topic please

lol....it was a pre-emptive strike.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
if I had a choice between the two I would take CK over rg3 right now.
Originally posted by susweel:

Me too especially with RG3's knee the way it is
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

his smallish build and the way he plays I see him getting injured often.
Why not just compare the games they both started?
Love them both, but I'd give RGIII the edge. It's great that Kaepernick, being a 2nd round pick, has even made this a debate/topic. I'm digging the future with Kaepernick at the helm.
At the end of the day Kaep's in the ballpark statistically with the QB's many are calling the future of the NFL at the QB position. That makes me happy, even if they don't spend any time talking about Kaep on national networks.

Fun fact, Kaep is also the only player in your analysis with his feet up on the couch Sunday. :)
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
Arm Strength: CK > RG3
Accuracy: CK > RG3

as far as mobility and speed i think its up in the air...
Originally posted by bzborow1:
At the end of the day Kaep's in the ballpark statistically with the QB's many are calling the future of the NFL at the QB position. That makes me happy, even if they don't spend any time talking about Kaep on national networks.

Fun fact, Kaep is also the only player in your analysis with his feet up on the couch Sunday. :)

From what I read about him, he'll probably be running on a treadmill or lifting weights while he's watching. He's a maniac.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Yes, I know there is a Kaep thread already but that is mostly about who should be the starter in SF, Kaep or Smith. I wanted to do something different here.

My father is a Washington Redskins fan. It is a source of shame for me, so please...be kind.

Anyway...we got into a talk in regards to RGIII. He loves the guy. Seeing what he has done so far I have to say I can see why. It did make me think tho. My father, most Redskins fans and the media in general are all going crazy for this guy. I was curious...so I wanted to see how he stacks up to our own young signal-caller.

To make the numbers work, I divided Kaeps numbers by 7 (I only added the numbers from his starts so his rushing statistics are dramatically lower) and then multiplied them by 15 (the number of starts for RGIII this year). When there was a fraction result I rounded up or down to the closest whole number. I think you guys might be interested in the results.

RGIII:
65.6 Comp%, 213.3 Passing YPG, 3200 Passing Yards, 8.1 YPA, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 47 20+ yard plays, 6 40+ yard plays, 102.4 Rating, 815 rush yards, 6.8 per carry, 7 TDs

Kaep:
62.4 Comp%, 229.7 Passing YPG, 3446 Passing Yards, 8.3 YPA, 21 TDs, 6 INTs, 68 20+ yard plays, 13 40+ yard plays, 98.3 Rating, 510 rush yards, 5.6 per carry, 4 TDs

That makes me pretty damn happy.

Obviously, there is no way to know how the exact number would work out. Maybe Kaep struggles down the stretch of a full season. Maybe his numbers go NUTS the way Wilsons have. Come to think of it...lets add Wilson over his 16 games....

Wilson:
64.1 Comp%, 194.9 Passing YPG, 3118 Passing Yards, 7.9 YPA, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 42 20+ yard plays, 11 40+ yard plays, 100.0 Rating, 489 rush yards, 5.9 per carry, 4 TDs.

Not bad.

How about Andrew Luck?

Luck:
54.1 Comp%, 273.4 Passing YPG, 4374 Passing Yards, 7.0 YPA, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 68 20+ yard plays, 11 40+ yard plays, 76.5 Rating, 255 rush yards, 3.9 per carry, 5 TDs.

I give Andrew a bit of a pass on this one though as he is the ONLY thing on that team and he is forced to throw...ALOT.

What else do these young QBs all have in common? ALL of them are in the playoffs.

No offense but it's not really fair to compare Kaep to those other QBs right now. They had training camp to prepare before their first start. Kaep had a season and a half to prepare before his first. That is a huge advantage......

I understand your point, but Kaep didn't even get a Training Camp last year (Lockout) and all of those guys have had twice as many starts THIS year.

Yes, he's had more time to absorb the offense and to sit behind Alex for a year, but I think too many people put to much emphasis on time sitting on the bench as "experience".

agreed plus Kap didnt even get the majority reps in his NFL career til after the rams game.

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

his smallish build and the way he plays I see him getting injured often.

THIS.

I think RGIII is going to get killed if they keep running him like that. He's an incredible athlete, but he doesn't have the frame to absorb that workload for long.

Kaep isn't as fast or nimble, but he's MUCH bigger and more capable of taking the punishment. I also think that while they run some pistol formations, they aren't using that nearly as much as Washington is. RGIII carries the ball alot more often than Kaep does.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Arm Strength: CK > RG3
Accuracy: CK > RG3

as far as mobility and speed i think its up in the air...

I'd give both speed and mobility to RG3...but he's also smaller and thinner. I think he's gonna get crushed if they keep running him the way they do.
You area already wrong. Kaep plaed like 7 3/4 games. Not 7.0. So your statistical analysis is already off. Didn't Smith get knocked out pretty early in that game? Kaep played most of it. Kaep played close to 8 full games. Just about 1 quarter short of that. So 7.0 would not be accurate.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You area already wrong. Kaep plaed like 7 3/4 games. Not 7.0. So your statistical analysis is already off. Didn't Smith get knocked out pretty early in that game? Kaep played most of it. Kaep played close to 8 full games. Just about 1 quarter short of that. So 7.0 would not be accurate.

Really? Thats how you are gonna come at me? "You are already wrong"? Dude...come on, gimme a little credit here. Of course he played LESS than 3 quarters of the first Rams game (Smith threw his TD to Crab in the second Quarter).

Thats probably why I tallied his totals only in the games that he STARTED. I didn't just take all of his stats and divide them by 7. For example (and I don't have the numbers in front of me), I did my math based on just over 1600 yards, not the 1814 he had on the year and I didn't give him credit for the TD he scored on the ground or the yards he gained against the Rams in that first game.

RGIII started 15 games so I did my analysis only on STARTS. IMO, it's only fair to compare games they prepared for as the starter.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Really? Thats how you are gonna come at me? "You are already wrong"? Dude...come on, gimme a little credit here. Of course he played LESS than 3 quarters of the first Rams game (Smith threw his TD to Crab in the second Quarter).

Thats probably why I tallied his totals only in the games that he STARTED. I didn't just take all of his stats and divide them by 7. For example (and I don't have the numbers in front of me), I did my math based on just over 1600 yards, not the 1814 he had on the year and I didn't give him credit for the TD he scored on the ground or the yards he gained against the Rams in that first game.

RGIII started 15 games so I did my analysis only on STARTS. IMO, it's only fair to compare games they prepared for as the starter.

Is SD. Please don't take anything he says serious. As a matter of fact, you should just ignore anything that he posts in any thread. You/everybody will be much better off.
Share 49ersWebzone