LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Kaepernick vs RGIII and others - Statistical Comparison...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes, I know there is a Kaep thread already but that is mostly about who should be the starter in SF, Kaep or Smith. I wanted to do something different here.

My father is a Washington Redskins fan. It is a source of shame for me, so please...be kind.

Anyway...we got into a talk in regards to RGIII. He loves the guy. Seeing what he has done so far I have to say I can see why. It did make me think tho. My father, most Redskins fans and the media in general are all going crazy for this guy. I was curious...so I wanted to see how he stacks up to our own young signal-caller.

To make the numbers work, I divided Kaeps numbers by 7 (I only added the numbers from his starts so his rushing statistics are dramatically lower) and then multiplied them by 15 (the number of starts for RGIII this year). When there was a fraction result I rounded up or down to the closest whole number. I think you guys might be interested in the results.

RGIII:
65.6 Comp%, 213.3 Passing YPG, 3200 Passing Yards, 8.1 YPA, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 47 20+ yard plays, 6 40+ yard plays, 102.4 Rating, 815 rush yards, 6.8 per carry, 7 TDs

Kaep:
62.4 Comp%, 229.7 Passing YPG, 3446 Passing Yards, 8.3 YPA, 21 TDs, 6 INTs, 68 20+ yard plays, 13 40+ yard plays, 98.3 Rating, 510 rush yards, 5.6 per carry, 4 TDs

That makes me pretty damn happy.

Obviously, there is no way to know how the exact number would work out. Maybe Kaep struggles down the stretch of a full season. Maybe his numbers go NUTS the way Wilsons have. Come to think of it...lets add Wilson over his 16 games....

Wilson:
64.1 Comp%, 194.9 Passing YPG, 3118 Passing Yards, 7.9 YPA, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 42 20+ yard plays, 11 40+ yard plays, 100.0 Rating, 489 rush yards, 5.9 per carry, 4 TDs.

Not bad.

How about Andrew Luck?

Luck:
54.1 Comp%, 273.4 Passing YPG, 4374 Passing Yards, 7.0 YPA, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 68 20+ yard plays, 11 40+ yard plays, 76.5 Rating, 255 rush yards, 3.9 per carry, 5 TDs.

I give Andrew a bit of a pass on this one though as he is the ONLY thing on that team and he is forced to throw...ALOT.

What else do these young QBs all have in common? ALL of them are in the playoffs.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
CK7 >>>> RG3
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Yes, I know there is a Kaep thread already but that is mostly about who should be the starter in SF, Kaep or Smith. I wanted to do something different here.

My father is a Washington Redskins fan. It is a source of shame for me, so please...be kind.

Anyway...we got into a talk in regards to RGIII. He loves the guy. Seeing what he has done so far I have to say I can see why. It did make me think tho. My father, most Redskins fans and the media in general are all going crazy for this guy. I was curious...so I wanted to see how he stacks up to our own young signal-caller.

To make the numbers work, I divided Kaeps numbers by 7 (I only added the numbers from his starts so his rushing statistics are dramatically lower) and then multiplied them by 15 (the number of starts for RGIII this year). When there was a fraction result I rounded up or down to the closest whole number. I think you guys might be interested in the results.

RGIII:
65.6 Comp%, 213.3 Passing YPG, 3200 Passing Yards, 8.1 YPA, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 47 20+ yard plays, 6 40+ yard plays, 102.4 Rating, 815 rush yards, 6.8 per carry, 7 TDs

Kaep:
62.4 Comp%, 229.7 Passing YPG, 3446 Passing Yards, 8.3 YPA, 21 TDs, 6 INTs, 68 20+ yard plays, 13 40+ yard plays, 98.3 Rating, 510 rush yards, 5.6 per carry, 4 TDs

Obviously, there is no way to know how the exact number would work out. Maybe Kaep struggles down the stretch of a full season. Maybe his numbers go NUTS the way Wilsons have. Come to think of it...lets add Wilson over his 16 games....

Wilson:
64.1 Comp%, 194.9 Passing YPG, 3118 Passing Yards, 7.9 YPA, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 42 20+ yard plays, 11 40+ yard plays, 100.0 Rating, 489 rush yards, 5.9 per carry, 4 TDs.

Not bad.

How about Andrew Luck?

Luck:
54.1 Comp%, 273.4 Passing YPG, 4374 Passing Yards, 7.0 YPA, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 68 20+ yard plays, 11 40+ yard plays, 76.5 Rating, 255 rush yards, 3.9 per carry, 5 TDs.

I give Andrew a bit of a pass on this one though as he is the ONLY thing on that team and he is forced to throw...ALOT.

What else do these young QBs all have in common? ALL of them are in the playoffs.

No offense but it's not really fair to compare Kaep to those other QBs right now. They had training camp to prepare before their first start. Kaep had a season and a half to prepare before his first. That is a huge advantage......
Originally posted by aTx49er:

RGIII:

Kaep:

Wilson:

Not bad.

How about Andrew Luck?

Luck:

No offense but it's not really fair to compare Kaep to those other QBs right now. They had training camp to prepare before their first start. Kaep had a season and a half to prepare before his first. That is a huge advantage......

I understand your point, but Kaep didn't even get a Training Camp last year (Lockout) and all of those guys have had twice as many starts THIS year.

Yes, he's had more time to absorb the offense and to sit behind Alex for a year, but I think too many people put to much emphasis on time sitting on the bench as "experience".
Here we go again....
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Here we go again....

?
Both players are 1st year QBs. Kaepernick and the Niners will be competing with RG3 and Wilson in the NFC for the next 10 years. I think the comparison is fair. Nice work Marvin.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Wow...I never thought to compare CK7 to RG3
Andrew Luck is also on the worst team of them all.

Washington traded up to the #2 spot and already had an average team in place. Sea obviously had a lower round pick and scored with Wilson in the third round.

CK7 is on the best team.
Originally posted by Antix:
Wow...I never thought to compare CK7 to RG3

Not sure if serious...

CK7 gained all his stats in only 7 starts, it took all those rookies 16 games. -Of course those guys are rookies... but Kaep is still classified as a 'rookie' (despite his second year); sure Kaep plays on the best team of all those QBs (and had a year under a great system/head coach), but I think Kaep is the best young starter entering the post-season.

Kaep will be the first, and possibly only QB from the 2011 class to get a ring within the next five years (unless Cincy finally trashes Marvin Lewis).
But kaep is 3 years older
Here we go again....

?

i appreciate looking at your statistics marvin, its really interesting! alot of posters here (one example above) really make us look stupid as a fan base and provide no feedback.

but anyways, i think this will be the "big 4" qb list in a couple years. when theres no brady/brees/manning(s). mobility is becoming a huge thing now, almost all of the best young QBs are mobile, including aaron rogers. I think throwing for 5000 yards is going to be a thing of the past, and you'll start to see things like 3500 yards throwing and 5-700 yards rushing very normal.
Here we go again....

?

Unfortunately, this will turn into a Kap vs. Alex thread and it shouldn't because you bring up legit points.
Unfortunately, this will turn into a Kap vs. Alex thread and it shouldn't because you bring up legit points.

lol you're the first person who mentioned alex. stay on topic please
Share 49ersWebzone