There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do any of u see what i see? is Aldon smith taking plays off?

I have also noted it. I believe it's a combination of all the factors listed above; fatigue, the loss of Justin, learning a new position and sometimes being confused, his injury, etc. However, I don't think there's any question that he is taking plays off. With another year's experience and better conditioning, not to mention the return of Cowboy, hopefully we'll see more consistent effort in 2013.
cut him nao
He's tired.

A long, tough season, PISS POOR rotation, and no Justin.

The D is on the field longer which combined with the above impacts his performance.
I think people are overreacting. DE pass rushing is one of the most exhausting positions in football. Every play you are going max effort trying to shed the blocker and chase the QB. Its impossible to go 100% every single play. Just having a blocker in your face at all times can really drain you if you dont conserve your energy and pace yourself.

This is in contrast to other positions like safety and linebacker where you are not necessarily active in every single play. In addition, you dont have a 300 lb lineman in your face every play.

Give Aldon a break, guys. His overall production has been good.
[ Edited by Carhanu21 on Jan 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM ]
His production has really not been impressive in the last few weeks. 0 sacks vs AZ? Against Seattle he was many times swallowed by Okung -- who is in fairness all pro caliber player. If he is hurt, that explains a lot. Shame on JH for not fielding depth at the position, not having a sound rotation etc etc. Oh well, that's life under the salary cap I guess. Why not move Aldon around, swap with Brooks, put him in coverage once in a while... i.e. just change the looks for Aldon? Couldn't hurt at this point. The 10 days off will help.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he is finding out that having justin in there is a huge plus. i was afraid he would be less productive without justin. regardless of whether or not justin comes back next year and is one hundred per cent this has to be addressed in the draft. the loss of justin has made us understand we need a quality pass rusher who can take up two people. we had not much of a pass rush with justin this year and without him, it is horrid. i hope the team spends the first two picks on some d line help this year and not a over rated under achieving wide out
I knew it was a wasted pick
Quinn >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aldon
Its his first year as a full time LB. probably just wore down as the year went along

Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch On @KNBR, #49ers Jim Harbaugh suggested Aldon Smith will particularly benefit from bye: "He's someone that can use it, that needs it."
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch ... #49ers Aldon Smith had 0 sacks in final 3 games (15 in previous 7).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
I knew it was a wasted pick

Ha! I will say that this excuse of him being tired is not an excuse in my opinion. everyone is tired at this time of the year, he is 23 and has all off season to rest. i am not going to give him a pass for lack of production by saying he is tired. Now if he is, that is the fault of the coaches for having a terrible game plan in terms of depth and rotation.
I disagree that he's taking plays off. I think the reason he is not as effective is because of Justin Smith not being next to him. The entire defense is suffering since Cowboy has been out. Willis and Bowman know that their jobs got harder without Smith. Baalke is going to have to find Smith's replacement on the roster. I like RJF but he's not the Cowboy. It seems as if Fangio's defense is based on what the Cowboy does: occupy as many defenders as you can to let the LBs make plays.
I think it was remarkable just how good Justin is, which showed up the moment he had to leave the game. That just about nullified aldon. That was impressive, tho in a negative sens. Chaz's comment is on the mark also, in that there have been times when aldon got beat around the edge because he was too aggressive, so Chaz may very well have explained a large part of what is missing in aldon's pursuit of ball carriers. A final note would be the play in SEA where Aldon and Brooks(maybe) were trying to run down russ wilson. Neither guy could or did get near wilson and it was embarrassing to see wilson hold the ball for 10 seconds( maybe longer), as he outran aldon and out other LB. That was a case of aldon just being gassed, because he can run down guys a lot faster than that. So there are probably 3 or 4 things in play here, but my money is mostly on the absence of Justin.
pasdoc9er: We have solved this question. NEXT!
I'm guessing he is suffering through the shoulder injury. Also he's been dealing with a many more double teams without Smith in. But the sacks have been coming from elsewhere and Smith has played well. The whole D should benefit from a week of rest.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by detroitniner:
pasdoc9er: We have solved this question. NEXT!
was just wondering why the wolves of the webzone like to surround the doc whenever he gives an opinion on anything? what did he say that was wrong?