There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do any of u see what i see? is Aldon smith taking plays off?

• titan
  • Veteran
I don't think he is really taking plays off, his lateral movement is not as well when he is chasing a smaller player. Lets not forget he is a tall player.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I noticed he doesn't go all out everytime. Especially, on run plays. He just needs to get his second wind.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
Right now Aldon is a huge beneficiary of Justin Smith because he can take on 2 blockers, which allows Aldon less traffic to get to the quarterback. Worried to see what he could be like when Justin retires in a few yrs. Really hope im wrong though

To be fare, i think he is wore down more than anything. Of course he benefits from cowboy, andy OLB would, but his body being wore down has just been amplified by loseing cowboy.

Everyone is making a big deal out of the no sacks over the last few games. But he almost had two against seattle, that the qb simply wiggled his way out of, He had brady dead to rights twice, one was an obvious hold, and the second he looked like he went for a strip and simply didnt wrap as he was doing so and brady wiggled loose. and he had a nice stuff against AZ.

He has 66 total tackles and 50 solo. He is wore down and besides that, his sacks have always seemed to come in a couple game spurts, and then after that comes a couple off games as far as sacks are concerned.

Like i said previously. Rush OLB's dont really peak at aldons age. They get better as they develope a bit of experiance, stamina, and strength. Need to keep him fresher next year with a solid rotation. This Bye week should help him get fresh, and i expect him to come on stronger in the playoffs.

I haven't checked but if he does have over sixty tackles and almost twenty sacks that's a lot of grabbing of strong people for any type of linebacker, when you have two other guys next to you who have figuratively "hit" the century mark.
I love Aldon but its clear he needs a credible d-lineman in front of him to be effective. Also, I'd like to see our address our LB depth this offseason.

Bring back Manny Lawson?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Are you serious? A huge part of his game is based on Justin Smith. Thats why he stopped getting sacks. Theyre like a 1-2 punch. Smith creates the lane, and Aldon puts the heat on the QB. Hes a free lance pass rusher, so hes looking for a blitzing lane. Theres not much he can do if he gets caught behind good blocking. It makes no sense to call him lazy after 19.5 sacks in 14 games. You could tell immediately in the Pats game when Smith got hurt that it affected him.

A huge part of his game is using his freakish wing span for power and leverage.

Not sure if you are aware but he has an injured shoulder. Prior to the NE game Aldon Smith had not been participating in practices so he could heal. DURING the NE game he clearly injured himself when he hit Brady. They even talked about it during the broadcast and showed a replay.

Aldon hasn't been the same since Justin left because that also happens to be the same time he injured his shoulder.

Aldon Smith can generate pressure without the stunt move. He has steamrolled tackles back all by his lonesome on a few occasions.

Let us all hope his drop-off in production is due to the shoulder and the BYE lets him rest up.
No pass rusher really goes all out on every play in my opinion. First of all, not all plays call for it, he could have been in set the edge mode, or watching for the screen. Secondly sometimes the rush is supposed to be delayed a bit to match up with a stunt and the ball comes out too fast. Thirdly sometimes a guy tries to power rush rather than speed rush and the Tackle picks him up...it looks like he isnt trying since once they lock up its a stalemate.

As to those who say he needs a credible D-lineman. They ALL need credible D-lineman. Thats the entire point of a D-lineman in a 3-4 to eat up blocks and allow the LB's to come one on one or even better against an RB. When that doesnt happen its a losing proposition for any LB...their giving up 50+ lbs.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM ]
Even at the beginning of the season it appeared he was taking plays off. But it looks mostly that way when the run is inside or away from him. But I think he is being coached to no overpursue and seal the backside for cut backs, so he slows up and stays home. The DE is crashing down on inside runs and the OLB is staying home.

But, it has appeared that his shoulder injury has affected him. You just don't see his extension like he used to before the Pats game.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Nice observation by the OP.

This is the reason I hope they bring back Eric Bakhtiari (sp?) at some point these next two weeks.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
No pass rusher really goes all out on every play in my opinion. First of all, not all plays call for it, he could have been in set the edge mode, or watching for the screen. Secondly sometimes the rush is supposed to be delayed a bit to match up with a stunt and the ball comes out too fast. Thirdly sometimes a guy tries to power rush rather than speed rush and the Tackle picks him up...it looks like he isnt trying since once they lock up its a stalemate.

Well-said.

On top of which, even the best players get gassed in the 4th quarter, and pass-rushers are particularly susceptible to the no-huddle offense and/or QBs who can get the ball out quickly like Tom Brady.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, I noticed he doesn't go all out everytime. Especially, on run plays. He just needs to get his second wind.

Agree with this. I think he lacks interest in run stopping inside. If someone bounces outside, he gets excited over the challenge and puts forth effort... but overall, he just wants to rush QBs and beat the OL blocks. When it comes to out-muscling OL to contain the B or C gaps, he isn't all that interested.

( seems that way to me.. not saying I know for sure )
Originally posted by fister30:
He hasn't really looked the same since he injured his shoulder a few weeks ago.

This.

I think he is a lot more injured than most think. He is missing the power he had early season.
I think teams are just getting wise and running the ball right at him. Especially with Justin out, he's just getting swallowed by blockers and frustrated. He just wants hit the QB. Deep down, I bet he wishes he as a 4-3 DE. This LB stuff is cramping his style.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I agree 100%. I have seen it since the Patriots game.
ya, i would be too, 16 games, barely any rotation at my position, now my best DL man is out? give me a break!
u guys sure he's not just holding the edge? U know that's sometimes the job of the DE/OLB.