There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do any of u see what i see? is Aldon smith taking plays off?

I love Aldon smith but honestly as of late he looks very lazy like he just takes ALOT of plays off. Not even 1 sack in the last 3 games which would be ok if he tried hard but I see him stop mid play and a lot of times not even go after the running back etc. almost like he's waiting for someone else to tackle like he's a spectator on the sideline. it's really bothering me. I always watch the niners with a big group and they all saw the same thing. What do u all think.
I think he is wore down. He has had a long season, and very little rotation at the position at all. He has to ork on his stamina, but yes the last fe games he has taken plays off here and there, especially on run plays. I think the entire OLB group ould benefit from getting the rotation going again next season, and we really missed haralson, which was extremely underrated against the run. He as a huge reason hy the run d as so successful last season. Him and brooks would set the edge and force everything inside where the safetys and ILBs would clean house.
Yeah maybe your right. I guess I just expect him to have the heart and motor of Justin smith especially since he's 10 yrs younger. Like I saiid love Aldon and think he's a beast but I hope he doesn't do that in the playoffs cause we desperately need him to go into beast mode
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think he is wore down. He has had a long season, and very little rotation at the position at all. He has to ork on his stamina, but yes the last fe games he has taken plays off here and there, especially on run plays. I think the entire OLB group ould benefit from getting the rotation going again next season, and we really missed haralson, which was extremely underrated against the run. He as a huge reason hy the run d as so successful last season. Him and brooks would set the edge and force everything inside where the safetys and ILBs would clean house.
This, he's held up pretty well for the most part but considering he went from being a 3rd down pass rusher to full-time player, its been pretty rough on him. I really would like to see some sort of upgrade or integration of someone like Cam Johnson to give Aldon some plays off, to be able to sub in and rotate, maybe have him come in on 3rd downs only at some points just to keep him fresh, the loss of Haralson really hurt in that regard, especially with how strong he was against the run.
  • mod
  • Veteran
would you say... his hands were placed on his hips?
Originally posted by modninerfan:
would you say... his hands were placed on his hips?

He hasn't really looked the same since he injured his shoulder a few weeks ago.
Originally posted by asyouwerebanddotcom:
Yeah maybe your right. I guess I just expect him to have the heart and motor of Justin smith especially since he's 10 yrs younger. Like I saiid love Aldon and think he's a beast but I hope he doesn't do that in the playoffs cause we desperately need him to go into beast mode

Very few players in the NFL have the stamina Cowboy has. Thats what makes him Cowboy, but yes he needs to work on that in the offseason, and regardless of being ore down, he needs to ork on giving it all on every play. He is young, and the NFL is a greuling long season compared to college, and he as just a third down back for the most part last season. OLB's also typically peak later in their careers as well. Its not really a kids position. His stamina will get there, but regardless we need to have a better rotation, and a beter insurenace policy should e lose an OLB due to injury like e did haralson this season.

PS...Sorry for my missing "w" on recent posts. My "w" key is taking a s**t on me.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM ]
More like frustration and fatigue. We've worked this D over due to the unfortunate injuries we had at OLB, Haralson and the two rookies.

The frustration comes from not having a guy next to you that everyone on the OLine is afraid of,
I love Aldon smith but honestly as of late he looks very lazy like he just takes ALOT of plays off. Not even 1 sack in the last 3 games which would be ok if he tried hard but I see him stop mid play and a lot of times not even go after the running back etc. almost like he's waiting for someone else to tackle like he's a spectator on the sideline. it's really bothering me. I always watch the niners with a big group and they all saw the same thing. What do u all think.

Exactly how i have felt. I don't see him running to the ball. I understand that he maybe worn down, but at least look like you're running to it.
It's almost like at times he doesn't know quite what to do. Like he sees what's happening and isn't sure how to react.
Right now Aldon is a huge beneficiary of Justin Smith because he can take on 2 blockers, which allows Aldon less traffic to get to the quarterback. Worried to see what he could be like when Justin retires in a few yrs. Really hope im wrong though
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
Right now Aldon is a huge beneficiary of Justin Smith because he can take on 2 blockers, which allows Aldon less traffic to get to the quarterback. Worried to see what he could be like when Justin retires in a few yrs. Really hope im wrong though

To be fare, i think he is wore down more than anything. Of course he benefits from cowboy, andy OLB would, but his body being wore down has just been amplified by loseing cowboy.

Everyone is making a big deal out of the no sacks over the last few games. But he almost had two against seattle, that the qb simply wiggled his way out of, He had brady dead to rights twice, one was an obvious hold, and the second he looked like he went for a strip and simply didnt wrap as he was doing so and brady wiggled loose. and he had a nice stuff against AZ.

He has 66 total tackles and 50 solo. He is wore down and besides that, his sacks have always seemed to come in a couple game spurts, and then after that comes a couple off games as far as sacks are concerned.

Like i said previously. Rush OLB's dont really peak at aldons age. They get better as they develope a bit of experiance, stamina, and strength. Need to keep him fresher next year with a solid rotation. This Bye week should help him get fresh, and i expect him to come on stronger in the playoffs.

Are you serious? A huge part of his game is based on Justin Smith. Thats why he stopped getting sacks. Theyre like a 1-2 punch. Smith creates the lane, and Aldon puts the heat on the QB. Hes a free lance pass rusher, so hes looking for a blitzing lane. Theres not much he can do if he gets caught behind good blocking. It makes no sense to call him lazy after 19.5 sacks in 14 games. You could tell immediately in the Pats game when Smith got hurt that it affected him.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I agree, he should be reenergized for the playoffs with the added rest. Haralson is a key guy, he falls into the category you don't know what you have until it's gone.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home