LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by crabman82:
calvillo just signed for 2 years, if trestman isnt offered a HC gig, i dont think hes leaving

If he gets a chance as an offensive coordinator for an NFL team, he's not passing that down, are you kidding? BRB, refusing to be a 3rd base coach in major league baseball so you can manage Double AA. Getting that coordinator position is a stepping stone to a head coaching gig, especially on a highly talented winning team.

In anycase, he's still one of the best candidates out there, he's an absolute genius when it comes to the WCO and there is basically nothing that he hasn't seen in his time in football. He has a prior relationship with Harbaugh and has had tremendous success all throughout his career with young quarterbacks. If there's a chance of it happening, I'd love to see him come back to the 49ers.

hes already been one at multiple spots. the allure isnt the same as someone who hasnt done it before. i'd be shocked if he left for an OC gig, we'll see i suppose.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Agreed.

Anyone who wants Norv, after seeing how different and flat out BETTER our offense is with Greg Roman, is a moron.

Norv is not going to match the kind of creativity that is helping us win games at the moment.

What creativity????? He runs a bunch of gimmicks that 90% of the time don't work. He was a college running game coordinator, he does fine with the running game, he's absolute s**t when it comes to the passing game. At least Turner is an accomplished guy who can call both the run and the pass.

How did that creativity help against the Vikings, the Rams(both games), the Seahawks, the Giants....etc. He has no balance, no idea of how to properly call a game, he runs when he should pass, he passes when he should run, like in the Minnesota game. In the Rams game, the cornerbacks were playing off the WR's by about 10 yards, so what does he do? Runs the ball up the middle over and over so Gore can get his ass kicked. BRB, call an option play with Ted Ginn who has caught 1 pass the entire year, at the end of the game, up by 8, backed up against your own endzone.

This team is winning and has been winning largely as a result of their defense, when the defense isn't up to the task, the 49ers get slaughtered because the offense can't handle the burden because the playcalling is garbage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Geep Chryst. Knows the system.

Wasn't he a failure In San Diego?
Originally posted by Sourball:
Wasn't he a failure In San Diego?

Understatement, even in 1999 when he had Harbaugh and Kramer, the playcalling was just plain awful.
people are saying steve young and he is my favorite niner of all time...is there any chance he could have the potential to be a OC? i mean Kap is a similar QB to young.....mobile, smart, and big arm. so maybe he can find success with Kap by looking in his own past and what made him so successful
Ken Whisenhunt
Pep Hamilton Stanford's OC
Originally posted by dhp318:
Jim Hostler?

Thats funny
Originally posted by Ohio49ersfan:
Thats funny

Why not? He certainly didn't do much worse as an offensive coordinator than Chryst did and people seem content with that choice.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Understatement, even in 1999 when he had Harbaugh and Kramer, the playcalling was just plain awful.

No one should be worried about what happened in 1999. The league has changed a lot since then.

If Roman does leave, and you want to know who our next Offensive Coordinator is going to be, turn on the Rose Bowl. He's currently calling the plays for Stanford (no, not Shaw).
Originally posted by Robj49er:

Damn! You beat me to the punch! I feel the same way...
Originally posted by Robj49er:

Stanford has become our coaching farm system.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
If Roman does leave, and you want to know who our next Offensive Coordinator is going to be, turn on the Rose Bowl. He's currently calling the plays for Stanford (no, not Shaw).

If Shaw leaves Stanford he'll be the HC for San Diego
Originally posted by SFrush:
No one should be worried about what happened in 1999. The league has changed a lot since then.

LOL....that worked out so well with Jimmy Raye right??

But since you know what you're talking about, please explain to me how Chryst's vanilla playcalling has been fixed through rule changes? Growing up, either the 49ers or the Chargers were always on in my home, and Chargers fans look at Chryst much as 49ers fans look at Hostler.

If the guy had some sort of potential, SOMEBODY across the league would have offered him a coordinator position sometime in the ensuing 12 years afterwards.
Share 49ersWebzone