You can look at numbers all day and make them say what you want them to say. Yes, Kaep has fewer INTs, but he got lucky a few times and Moss helped him out. Alex has more TD's passing, but as I said before Kaep runs them in more and Delanie Walker hasn't really helped him in this regard.
Bottom line here...Kaep is the starting QB. I think it's the right decision and I feel even better about it after yesterday. Some of you will disagree and it's all good. I think we can all get behind Kaep tho hope for the best. ;-)
2) Run Game: I've read people being critical of Kaep because the run game has suffered since he came in....the thought being that he isn't getting the team into the right play. I don't know about that as none of us know what the play calls were at the line. I can say tho that it's pretty normal for Franks numbers to dive at the end of the season. This is one of the reasons that they have been trying to spell him. I think some of this is also the loss of Kendall Hunter. Jacobs played in one game and was completely useless. Its taken the Niners a few games here to get James going, but my hope is that James can provide that same spark that Hunter did.
3) Jenkins: Jeez. I feel bad for the kid. LOL. Finally got a shot to make a big play and he took his eye off the ball. I know peeps are gonna be all over him for lack of production (and I'm not gonna argue this point). I still think he's gonna be a good player, but he needs to do something here in the playoffs.
4) Aldon: I mentioned this several weeks ago in my weekly posts...I'm concerned aboout how much of his sacks come as a byproduct of the guy standing next to him. I still think he's one of the best pass-rushers in the game, but without Justin to eat up blockers, Aldon is getting all of the attention of the other team and he is being neutralized. Some of it is short passes giving him no time to get there. It was disappointing to see him within striking distance of the record with three games and then get shut out for 3 straight games. I also have to give props to JJ Watt. Its unheard of for a 3-4 DE to lead the league in sacks...and he also has an insane number of tackles for loss and batted passes. I love Aldon, but lets give credit where its due...JJ Watt should be defensive player of the year.
5) Justin: Get Healthy. Fast.
6) Crabtree: Its pretty damn rewarding to see im play like this. I have defended him since the beginning and he is finally starting to look like the guy we thought he was at Texas Tech. He's played well all year, but the move to Kaep and his produsction since.has just shown you how much of his production was an issue at QB and not his ability to get open. With Alex, he had 499 yards and 4 TDs in essentially 8.5 games. With Kaep he has 606 yards and 5 TDs in 7.5 games. It becomes even more impressinve as you look at just the last 5 games. Crab has had only a few 100 yard garmes through his entire career including just 1 with Alex this year. He's now had 3 in his last 5 games with Kaep. Bottom line, Crab is the number 1 receiver he was drafted to be with Kaep at QB.
7) Vernon: It wouldn't be fair if I mentioned Crabs spike in production if I didn't also mention Vernon extreme drop in production. I think this is due to a few different factors. I always thought it was interesting how Alex had a problem hitting anyone but Vernon deep. Now it seems that Kaep has the exact opposite problem...he can hit anyone deep BUT Vernon. I think they eventually work this out, but I understand Vernons frustration. He was the man. He was the go-to guy. Now that guy wears #15. I hope they can work this one out in the next few weeks, but I have a feeling Vernon is going to be spending alot of time with Kaep in the offseason. Some of you may not rememer this, but when the Niners first made the switch from Joe to Steve, Rice had some issues catching the ball and his production began to fall off. Why, he was having an issue with the reverse spin on the ball from a left handed QB and because they weren't on the same page. Guess what? They worked it out. Jerry ended up catching ALOT more TDs from Steve than from Montana.
8) Akers: Ouch. I am actually in favor of keeping him, but it wouldn't take much to move me off that position. I just don't like the other guys out there. Something is wrong with him. Its not just his field goals...he's not getting the balls into the endzone either.
9) Ginn: I hope you enjoy the next few games because they will be your last as a 49er. He's on the roster to return punts and nothing else and he hasn't had a big return all year. Add to that the bobbles and that one he let bounce at the 20 yesterday...SMDH. Look for Niners to draft someone or give James alot of practice there.
10) Playoffs: Well, after all of the argument of not wanting a new QB in there learning when these games were really important, look where we ended up. 5-2 with Kaep as a starter and the second seed in the playoffs. Yes, we got lucky that the Vikings beat the Pack, but bottom line is we ended up exacly where we likely would have ended up with Alex. Now we have a young QB with 7 games of experience and still get the week off.
MODS: CAN YOU MAKE THIS OFFICIAL? THANKS.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM ]