There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does it take so long for the offense to get going!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Why do people always find something to complain about?

I agree, plus this thread is for the offseason
how do you figure that? there are alot of people who have legit concerns about the way our team is playing or the consistency of our offense. while i do not speak for them, i think it is unreasonable to ask them to just put that talk off untill the off season because we may upset people by "complaining"
Despite all our formations and motion, the 49ers run a really basic offense. [Per my post "49ers rudimentary pass offense"]

The poster in this thread that mentioned we need LMJ to establish the perimeter running like Hunter did is exactly right. Although I love Gore, he gets worn down and heavy legged by the end of the season. Defenses don't fear his perimeter runs and know they can crash the middle to stop him.

Combine the above with Goodwin's weakness to hold the point of attack. In watching the Coaches film lately, Goodwin struggles in both run and pass blocking. The most successful runs are when he PURPOSEFULLY passes off the DL block and moves on the LB to block, but this requires one of the guards to block down on the A/B gap pressure for Gore to make it, and that has not been very successful against SEA or even AZ.

Now that the 49ers are getting away from all the jumbo blocking packages and run a more normal NFL offense, the run game has really declined in it's dominance. Essentially, the Oline is good, but frankly not that good. I think they will be looking for a serious upgrade at the center position in the draft.
We suck on opening drives because Roman is overrated.
Didn't they look good at the start of the Bears game too?
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Despite all our formations and motion, the 49ers run a really basic offense. [Per my post "49ers rudimentary pass offense"]

The poster in this thread that mentioned we need LMJ to establish the perimeter running like Hunter did is exactly right. Although I love Gore, he gets worn down and heavy legged by the end of the season. Defenses don't fear his perimeter runs and know they can crash the middle to stop him.

Combine the above with Goodwin's weakness to hold the point of attack. In watching the Coaches film lately, Goodwin struggles in both run and pass blocking. The most successful runs are when he PURPOSEFULLY passes off the DL block and moves on the LB to block, but this requires one of the guards to block down on the A/B gap pressure for Gore to make it, and that has not been very successful against SEA or even AZ.

Now that the 49ers are getting away from all the jumbo blocking packages and run a more normal NFL offense, the run game has really declined in it's dominance. Essentially, the Oline is good, but frankly not that good. I think they will be looking for a serious upgrade at the center position in the draft.

This will sound like blasphemy but Gore actually hurts the offense. We will have to move to a true pistol running scheme like Seattle and Washington to improve, which requires RB's that run faster than 50 second 40.
I don't know, why do they call a fullback dive on 2nd and goal from the 9 yard line?
Originally posted by bigwads:
This will sound like blasphemy but Gore actually hurts the offense. We will have to move to a true pistol running scheme like Seattle and Washington to improve, which requires RB's that run faster than 50 second 40.

They need a speedster, kind of like that guy Alfred Morris in Washington........................wait wut?

Oh, I don't know, could it be that the first quarter absolutely sucked, and against a weak team and a 4th string QB, and we relied too many times on field goals (or field goal attempts anyway)? We need to put together complete games if we're to advance in the playoffs. We can still love the 9'ers and not be blind. Not mutually exclusive.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Other than the New England game our offense has sputtered out of the gate. And it's terribly frustrating to watch. I haven't been impressed with the play calling for several weeks now. We're now a down field throwing team, which is good and bad thing. The running game hasn't been the same, and Kap only throws to Crabtree... We're going to need to start off waaaaaaaaay faster in the playoffs. We're not built to come from behind.

I think a lot has to do with the loss of Manningham, Williams and Hunter. Jenkins has not stepped up his game. Also, special teams has not done well this year, getting points is important. Two field goals vs no points affects ply calling. However, we have never been a fast scoring and high octane team, still the running game has sputtered and that is because as usual Gore is gassed out and losing Hunter hurt a lot more than anyone would like to admit. If the ground game is working then play action and read option become that much more effecient. Still if you are looking at high octane and want to be GB, NO and NE like, remember, they don't rely on the running game. Still, I think it was a big mistake keeping Celek and dumping Reuland. Especially when Celek hasn't done much, need a blocker, just bring in an extra lineman etc. You can't replace pass catching skills and Celek hasn't shown anything.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Oh, I don't know, could it be that the first quarter absolutely sucked, and against a weak team and a 4th string QB, and we relied too many times on field goals (or field goal attempts anyway)? We need to put together complete games if we're to advance in the playoffs. We can still love the 9'ers and not be blind. Not mutually exclusive.

Good teams don't win big/pretty all the time, they just win. Unfortunaetly, we win twice and lose or tie on the third, gotta break that jinx. If they are going to win more than 2 in a row for the first time this season, now is the time.
I think yesterday's game plan started out conservative, it was going to be run Gore up the middle and let the defense win the game. Then not only did the offense sputter but the Cards were moving the ball some and Akers missing field goals. Then the offense opened up some, Crabtree playing superbly at WR and things turned around.

I would prefer a more west coast type offense that uses the pass to set up the run in the first half, get a lead then run the ball in the second half. The short pass is the one area Kaep needs to get better at. Kaep had a similar kind of short pass to Gore yesterday that reminded me of the Manningham pass the week before, he looked at Gore and almost threw it, but instead looked off for a split sec, then threw it to Gore. That could have been dangerous. That is an area he is behind Russell Wilson in development.

Kaep's upside is tremendous though--he has so much yet to learn and already he is effective.
We've been playing much better defenses who were motivated over the past few weeks too. Our line hasn't "mauled" any opponents lately, that has allot to do with it as well.
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
People need to understand that this team still has a high ceiling. We haven't reached our full potential yet we're still a top team sitting pretty in the 2nd seed. That has to be an encouraging thing for fans. So yes, we start early but we always get it together. Besides, I get the feeling that JH & Co. are still holding a lot of things back and playing it a little safe. Our slow starts shouldn't alarm anyone.

After 2 full seasons i still wish Jim Harbaugh is holding the "real" good offense back, but i doubt it. Seems like some of us on here have always said that, including me at the start of this year. I just dont know what he could be holding back at this point, feels like if anything he hasn't fully adjusted, but i dont really think its like hes saving something. Just hasn't fully figured it out yet.
Well I really wasn't referring to a secret playbook full of never before seen plays.What I'm talking about is that I think JH & Co., given the abilities of the depth and talent available, aren't being as aggressive as they can. Now that's no criticism on my part. I cannot disagree with what JH is doing. Just my observation about despite the slow starts and JH's kind of conservative approach we're still a top 4 team. And because of that we aught not worry about slow starts.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home