There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does it take so long for the offense to get going!

Other than the New England game our offense has sputtered out of the gate. And it's terribly frustrating to watch. I haven't been impressed with the play calling for several weeks now. We're now a down field throwing team, which is good and bad thing. The running game hasn't been the same, and Kap only throws to Crabtree... We're going to need to start off waaaaaaaaay faster in the playoffs. We're not built to come from behind.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
IMO, we need to get LMJ involved earlier the way we use to use hunter. Love gore to death but he's constantly going up the middle. Very rarely do we use him outside. With Hunter we could go inside or out. Couple that with more down the field passes compared to the conservative stuff Smith throws and there you have it.

Maybe we should come out trying to move the ball methodically first then go for the bigger plays as they come.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Other than the New England game our offense has sputtered out of the gate. And it's terribly frustrating to watch. I haven't been impressed with the play calling for several weeks now. We're now a down field throwing team, which is good and bad thing. The running game hasn't been the same, and Kap only throws to Crabtree... We're going to need to start off waaaaaaaaay faster in the playoffs. We're not built to come from behind.
I think you can thank Ginn for the first quarter offensive struggles yesterday. He gave up field position big time on that first punt, and as well as our defense played, it took some time to overcome the lousy field position--all cause Ginn didn't fair catch the first punt, but let it go past him and get downed inside the 5 yard line. Bad, bad play by him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Simple.

We're an offense that is predicated by our run game, we have to establish any semblance of the run game to get our offense into rhyme. Unless things fall into place perfectly like they did in NE we end up faltering, see the Seattle game and I think the NYG game too - we came out meaning to throw and didn't run at all. Got behind quick and had to abandon the run game in an effort to throw our way back into the game.
It's funny because just before yesterday, I've always liked that our identity is a run first offense. I think it was Kurt Warner who said this team has lost its identity. I agreed with him and I didn't like that the Niners were put in this situation. But, believe it or not, I think this really benefits the Niners coming into the playoffs. We still need to stick with being that same smashmouth football team but I know it's causing opposing teams to pull their hair out because we have a threat to throw downfield now.
[ Edited by YoungWifey on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM ]

Why do people always find something to complain about?
Originally posted by billbird2111:

x2
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I think you can thank Ginn for the first quarter offensive struggles yesterday. He gave up field position big time on that first punt, and as well as our defense played, it took some time to overcome the lousy field position--all cause Ginn didn't fair catch the first punt, but let it go past him and get downed inside the 5 yard line. Bad, bad play by him.

So true... The offense had horrible field posistion to start on both drives. But still doesn't account for the last few games for horrendously slow starts.
starting on your 1" line tends to do that to an offense.
Originally posted by FourNine49:

x2
So you guys are satisfied with the offensive production and flow??? Please tell me more
People need to understand that this team still has a high ceiling. We haven't reached our full potential yet we're still a top team sitting pretty in the 2nd seed. That has to be an encouraging thing for fans. So yes, we start early but we always get it together. Besides, I get the feeling that JH & Co. are still holding a lot of things back and playing it a little safe. Our slow starts shouldn't alarm anyone.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

I can remember plenty of first series 3 and outs when Montana was playing while our defense would let the other team score 3 or 7 points. Both seemed to get it going after that and we were ahead 2 tds by half time.
We've now had two full regular seasons in this offensive system, and teams have had the opportunity to analyze our offense. Some teams are capable of defending it, other teams aren't, hence the up and down performances we've had this season. Sometimes it appears as if we are prepared for a game and other times it appears as if we are totally unprepared. We have many good players and a good coaching staff, I'm glad we have them (for now), but both are not perfect. It is up to us to adjust to the adjustments the opponents have made. The Rams certainly have read the book on us (and have the players to give us fits), which is understandable given that they are a division opponent, and Fisher is a good coach. The book is out on the 49ers in general, and we have yet to fully adjust, I think we have in part, but not to the extent we need to.

I agree, plus this thread is for the offseason
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
People need to understand that this team still has a high ceiling. We haven't reached our full potential yet we're still a top team sitting pretty in the 2nd seed. That has to be an encouraging thing for fans. So yes, we start early but we always get it together. Besides, I get the feeling that JH & Co. are still holding a lot of things back and playing it a little safe. Our slow starts shouldn't alarm anyone.

After 2 full seasons i still wish Jim Harbaugh is holding the "real" good offense back, but i doubt it. Seems like some of us on here have always said that, including me at the start of this year. I just dont know what he could be holding back at this point, feels like if anything he hasn't fully adjusted, but i dont really think its like hes saving something. Just hasn't fully figured it out yet.