LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

If Smith was starting, then it would be. Now we have an inexperienced qb leading a team to a superbowl run. So idk.
Of course it would be. If we fail to win the superbowl, how can you look at this season and say it was a success?
Also, the fact that we changed QBs midway through the season shouldn't change our expectations except for the better. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to make the change.
[ Edited by TinyHandsBigHeart on Dec 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM ]
If you start rebuilding midway through the season when there is no reason to and you do not improve the team, then I would say that bust is the right word. We will see, though, the season is not over. Harbaugh or Harbust ?
The mentality of the organization is once again as it was during the Super Bowl years, anything less than a Championship is failure.
Yes of course this season would be a bust if we lose this year; you dont have defenses like this stick around that long...

If you think about it though, every year we had Joe Montana/Steve Young and even Jeff Garcia to a degree was considered a bust if we did not go to the Super Bowl and win it.

It's just been so long since we have been this good; regardless this Alex Smith Era has left our franchise so all is not a loss

Either way we got to get it this year...
no because now kaep has experience and everyone knows kaep is gonna get better and better as time goes on now we have a great qb we can concentrate on another aldon smith maybe upgrade at cornerback and wr
Certainly not a bust.

A lesson that I finally got through my head in the 80's was that it's pointless to place concrete expectations on a given season, and it's only become harder since then. The NFL season is perilously short (particularly when you consider the effects of rigged parity) and injury is all too frequent. Complicating matters further is that it's quite clear now that in the playoffs it's better to be the team on a hot streak, rather than the better team on paper. Add it all up, and you just can't make assumptions about how a given season should go. Not then, certainly not now.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Dec 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM ]
No. This is not the '94 season.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by susweel:
No

After 8 years of losing I have changed my opinion on what a successful season is. A winning record and making it to the playoffs is now a successful season for me. A super bowl win is a cherry on top that only one team can claim.

I am just glad, at this point, that we have returned to prominence. However, I will be disappointed if we do not win the Super Bowl as I expected to do so. But what do I know?

As I age, I am just grateful in general. So, here is to this team, at this time, and whatever they accomplish.

• cools
  • Veteran
I dont look at sports like that
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Certainly not a bust.

A lesson that I finally got through my head in the 80's was that it's pointless to place concrete expectations on a given season, and it's only become harder since then. The NFL season is perilously short (particularly when you consider the effects of rigged parity) and injury is all too frequent. Complicating matters further is that it's quite clear now that in the playoffs it's better to be the team on a hot streak, rather than the better team on paper. Add it all up, and you just can't make assumptions about how a given season should go. Not then, certainly not now.
great post, throw in some luck too
If we dont make it, may it be early. I won't be able to stomach or mentally withstand another nfc championship loss. That being said, GO NINERS !!!!!
This season will be a bust if we miss the SB no doubt. We will have no improved from last season in my opinion if we miss out. I have faith we will be there in feb.
Originally posted by SwissNiner1255:
If you start rebuilding midway through the season when there is no reason to and you do not improve the team, then I would say that bust is the right word. We will see, though, the season is not over. Harbaugh or Harbust ?

Lets not exaggerate. We did not start rebuilding.
This year, too many things went wrong for us. I dont know about anybody else, but I'm kind of dissapointed in some of coach Harbaugh's decisions this year. Yes, Kaep should start, but the QB situation needed way more tact, to sell to the "team". This issue might be bigger than some think. Disstractions kill! Our offense took a big nosedive in the run game, we cant get a first down on three runs if the other team is even waiting for it. Plays are being called that make no sense, and most of all, don't compliment our defense, who need off the field to rest their one and only shift, with little or no subs. Kaep can throw, but until we get with the air it out gameplan, our thing is ball control, like Alex ran. Kaep should run this too, with the deep option. Defense had an off week, but they have delivered, but our pass defense is giving up the middle like their not supposed to. Some deep balls getting by as well. A total coming together of the team, to take this thing all the way, with lights out first half New England game play, all the way, could bring us the trophy. we CAN do it!
Share 49ersWebzone