There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better to move Soap to DE?

Originally posted by Hopper:
Don't really think switching the two will make a huge difference.

I do ...Isaac has the power to free up space for Aldon to rush the passer

if we put Sopoaga in front of Aldon at DE , it would toughen up our Defense ...RJF can play NT
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
We're adequate with a lineup of RJF--Sopo--RayMac for our base D and then Aldon--RJF--RayMac--Brooks for our Nickel.

Justin's awesome and is an upgrade to RJF, but I think it is silly to blame our recent failures so much on the loss of Justin. Just talking defense on this for now... Aldon was either lazy, tired, or undisciplined in the run game, and that goes for our ILBs as well. Was one of those games that you just shake your head at and know that your team was out-coached.. out-hustled.. out-muscled.. just not bringing their best. There are various other issues going on with this team that have caused us trouble. In other words.. I really think that even with Justin last week, the Hawks would have beaten us soundly anyway.

No we are not, Aldon has been without a sack in this line up, and we have given up 170+ yards rushing in 6 quarters of football! We needed depth at DE and we drafted poorly, and now we pay the price! The offense will have to carry us, we will be in boat races and track meets from here on out! Unless Lord Fangio can come up with a better line up than what we have seen lately. Perhaps, Soap and Mac as DE and Williams at NT? With a steady rotation to keep legs fresh...I don't know the answer, but I hope like hell the coaches figure this out...quick, or it will be a short post season!
I'm glad a thread was made on this topic. I brought it up in the pre-game thread and it didnt get much response. Anyway, I think this would be the smartest thing Fangio could do to somehow free up Aldon on the edge. Sop is not Justin Smith when you compare their technique and experience, but he is every bit as strong which means its very likely that they will have to double him on the left side in a very similar way out he will push the tackle into the QB. That means Aldon will have less attention and might be able to attack a little better.

RJF is decent inside and I think it would balance out the defense. For anything that he lacks in the middle, Willis and Bowman can pick up the slack by filling gaps. Also, at very least, it gives a completely different look to OCs and makes them think about how they attack us a little differently because they haven't seen it on film.

Arizona is going to come out swinging. Their OL hasn't been nearly as bad as early on. I think Massie has gone eight games without giving up a sack. It would be a great game to try out the new strategy.
It's kind of shocking how bad this defense is without Justin Smith.
Maybe Soap gets more nickle snaps at DT???
Originally posted by bzborow1:
It's kind of shocking how bad this defense is without Justin Smith.

Yeah it's worrisome. I'm hoping it has more to do with the traveling to NE then to Seattle with no gap in between. The D just looked a step slow.

It might also have to do with the offense not keeping them off the field long enough. In New England, our drives were ending quickly with scores so it worked out. In Seattle, the drives ended quickly without scores.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I do ...Isaac has the power to free up space for Aldon to rush the passer

if we put Sopoaga in front of Aldon at DE , it would toughen up our Defense ...RJF can play NT

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I think RJF does fine as a NT. I wonder if Harbaugh will make this change against AZ. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.
I say we switch back to the 4-3 defense! Ha ha jk, I remember seeing those posts nonstop for the last few years. The fulcrum of our D is at the NT position so if you move that piece it will make it harder for Willis and Bowman to operate. Although I'm not so sure there is a huge drop if you move Soap from NT to DE and move RJF to NT. I'm sure the D will be just fine either way you slice it.