There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better to move Soap to DE?

I remember back a few years ago Soap played DE and was not too bad for us there. If the Cowboy is unable to go would it be better go make the move for Soap to DE and make Will Tukuafu the DT starter for when Soap was out do to injury this season? Just thought about that as an alternate scenario for the RJF replacement over Justin Smith.
We're adequate with a lineup of RJF--Sopo--RayMac for our base D and then Aldon--RJF--RayMac--Brooks for our Nickel.

Justin's awesome and is an upgrade to RJF, but I think it is silly to blame our recent failures so much on the loss of Justin. Just talking defense on this for now... Aldon was either lazy, tired, or undisciplined in the run game, and that goes for our ILBs as well. Was one of those games that you just shake your head at and know that your team was out-coached.. out-hustled.. out-muscled.. just not bringing their best. There are various other issues going on with this team that have caused us trouble. In other words.. I really think that even with Justin last week, the Hawks would have beaten us soundly anyway.
I think this is a good idea to move Soap to DE and slide RJF inside to NT
I was thinking the same thing myself, and here's a thread on it already.

I like Soap-Williams-RayMac as starters and rotating RJF in (REGULARLY) to keep things fresh and changing. (and anybody else who can contribute)

I think that, at this point, Aldon Smith is mentally dependant on Justin taking up two blockers to free him up and isn't the same. If we keep rotating big bodies in, the opposing OL is more likely to tire late in the game and perhaps AS can pick up some sacks, gain confidence in his ability to reach the QB w/o JS, and become an even greater threat.

Mind you, I think AZ has pretty well given up on the season and should be a pretty straight forward victory at the 'Stick, but they are a big time division rival.

It sure would be nice if we win, Minn beats GB, and we get a week to heal up.
Hell yea, would like to see more BIG ICE on the field.....
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
We're adequate with a lineup of RJF--Sopo--RayMac for our base D and then Aldon--RJF--RayMac--Brooks for our Nickel.

Justin's awesome and is an upgrade to RJF, but I think it is silly to blame our recent failures so much on the loss of Justin. Just talking defense on this for now... Aldon was either lazy, tired, or undisciplined in the run game, and that goes for our ILBs as well. Was one of those games that you just shake your head at and know that your team was out-coached.. out-hustled.. out-muscled.. just not bringing their best. There are various other issues going on with this team that have caused us trouble. In other words.. I really think that even with Justin last week, the Hawks would have beaten us soundly anyway.

nice post. i feel the same way. at points this season we've struggled on D even with justin in there.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I was thinking the same thing myself, and here's a thread on it already.

I like Soap-Williams-RayMac as starters and rotating RJF in (REGULARLY) to keep things fresh and changing. (and anybody else who can contribute)

I think that, at this point, Aldon Smith is mentally dependant on Justin taking up two blockers to free him up and isn't the same. If we keep rotating big bodies in, the opposing OL is more likely to tire late in the game and perhaps AS can pick up some sacks, gain confidence in his ability to reach the QB w/o JS, and become an even greater threat.

Mind you, I think AZ has pretty well given up on the season and should be a pretty straight forward victory at the 'Stick, but they are a big time division rival.

It sure would be nice if we win, Minn beats GB, and we get a week to heal up.

AZ hasnt given up..they play hard still..it's just that they have more problems then just playing hard..there is no doubt they would like to spoil our season and make us a wildcard team

RJF original position is NT as he was AF's back up...not sure why JH put RJF in at End..that's not his natural position.
Don't really think switching the two will make a huge difference.
Ian Williams looks decent in his few snaps last game
Originally posted by Hopper:
Don't really think switching the two will make a huge difference.

yeah me either. there a stunting defense there always moving around,
Sopoaga is much stronger, and I believe more athletic (heck, he caught passes last year). But we don't really have a replacement at NT, and that's the problem. Moving him would negate the benefit because then we'd just have a hole in the middle.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sopoaga is much stronger, and I believe more athletic (heck, he caught passes last year). But we don't really have a replacement at NT, and that's the problem. Moving him would negate the benefit because then we'd just have a hole in the middle.

Which is why I don't agree with the idea. Soap at NT is more crucial to the defense than having him at DE.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Ian Williams looks decent in his few snaps last game

We were all high on RJF too before he played a game in the regular season.
I was never high on RJF. Put Aldon on the line and put another LB to work. We dont have Aldon at LB for his coverage and our backup LBs can blitz.
i think it will be a rotation of rjf and soap from nt to dt and ian williams coming in at nt also