There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cowboy Has Partially Torn Tricep

Matt, just a small thing, but xrays don't show tears. MRI's are what made Dx, plus physical exam. This is an extension injury, and I cannot imagine the force that those forearms produce once Justin has his rt hand on 1 DT, and lt hand on the other DTs chest. If you flex your arm and make a bicep muscle stand out, the triceps is used to extend and "push off" the DT's chest, face or forearm. Not knowing how bad the tear is, there is not much you can do to protect it. If justin tied one hand behind his back, he would still block 1 DT, but since he virtually always is doubled, he uses 1 hand per DT.The forces must be immense. At worst he could take on 1 DT with his good arm. Knowing justin , he will probably have the bad tricep in action on the 2nd DT also. No real way to protect this injury as it inserts into elbow at the btm of the humerus and originates up near posterior humeral head AND on the superior-posterior aspect of the clavicle. Wrapping would not do much, unless they put him in a full arm/shoulder cast and that would be one helluva club. Problem would be he couldn't raise arm much, so that wouldn't help. Justin with one good arm can keep out 1 DT. With bad tricep he could probably slow a 2nd DT down. He will need help from DT on side of bad arm. Whatever he does do, once he starts pushing and shoving, that torn triceps is going to feel like he has a hot iron poker on it.

As for recovery time, minor tears may repair themselves. Severe tears are fixed surgically and rehab is usually 4 mos. In Justin's case , I wouldn't expect a minor tear, considering the massive forces in play. To play will undoubtedly make the tear worse, perhhaps even complete. Then the push off a chest wouldn't happen. Just guessing, but I would be inclined to have justin take on 1 DT with good arm and have help with 2nd DT. Once the ball is snapped, guys doing stunts, etc, on the OL, Justin will probably not get much help, especially if other team knows he has only one good arm. Defensive coaching should be directed to protecting justin's bad arm and whereas a wrap won't help, it might make it feel a bit better. Whatever, each play for justin can't be as good as he was before injury. He still has the massive body and legs, but arms are key to a DT.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM ]
said he will play in playoffs
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Matt, just a small thing, but xrays don't show tears. MRI's are what made Dx, plus physical exam. This is an extension injury, and I cannot imagine the force that those forearms produce once Justin has his rt hand on 1 DT, and lt hand on the other DTs chest. If you flex your arm and make a bicep muscle stand out, the triceps is used to extend and "push off" the DT's chest, face or forearm. Not knowing how bad the tear is, there is not much you can do to protect it. If justin tied one hand behind his back, he would still block 1 DT, but since he virtually always is doubled, he uses 1 hand per DT.The forces must be immense. At worst he could take on 1 DT with his good arm. Knowing justin , he will probably have the bad tricep in action on the 2nd DT also. No real way to protect this injury as it inserts into elbow at the btm of the humerus and originates up near posterior humeral head AND on the superior-posterior aspect of the clavicle. Wrapping would not do much, unless they put him in a full arm/shoulder cast and that would be one helluva club. Problem would be he couldn't raise arm much, so that wouldn't help. Justin with one good arm can keep out 1 DT. With bad tricep he could probably slow a 2nd DT down. He will need help from DT on side of bad arm. Whatever he does do, once he starts pushing and shoving, that torn triceps is going to feel like he has a hot iron poker on it.

As for recovery time, minor tears may repair themselves. Severe tears are fixed surgically and rehab is usually 4 mos. In Justin's case , I wouldn't expect a minor tear, considering the massive forces in play. To play will undoubtedly make the tear worse, perhhaps even complete. Then the push off a chest wouldn't happen. Just guessing, but I would be inclined to have justin take on 1 DT with good arm and have help with 2nd DT. Once the ball is snapped, guys doing stunts, etc, on the OL, Justin will probably not get much help, especially if other team knows he has only one good arm. Defensive coaching should be directed to protecting justin's bad arm and whereas a wrap won't help, it might make it feel a bit better. Whatever, each play for justin can't be as good as he was before injury. He still has the massive body and legs, but arms are key to a DT.

An x-ray would have shown the dislodged bone spur, right? I'd have to go read the articles again, but I was under the impression that the bone spur caused the tear. I have no idea how that works out logistically, but if true it might give some insight into the severity of the tear. I dunno, I'm fixated on the bone spur right now for some reason.

I have no idea what kind of pain Justin is going through right now, but I do know that I shattered my left elbow as a child and the doctor put it back together without opening me up... non-invasive surgery the right term? Anyway, I have bone chips and tendons or whatever moving around in that elbow all the time. When I do push-ups (or rather, when I did years ago, lulz) there is some kind of ligament that snags on a bone and slips off... it doesn't hurt that bad, but it sure bothers me enough to stop the activity. Basically, that was a long way of saying Justin Smith is a beast for even trying.

Could that bone spur cause further damage?

Do ligaments strengthen after healing like muscle?

I wish I could just know everything.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
An x-ray would have shown the dislodged bone spur, right? I'd have to go read the articles again, but I was under the impression that the bone spur caused the tear. I have no idea how that works out logistically, but if true it might give some insight into the severity of the tear. I dunno, I'm fixated on the bone spur right now for some reason.

I have no idea what kind of pain Justin is going through right now, but I do know that I shattered my left elbow as a child and the doctor put it back together without opening me up... non-invasive surgery the right term? Anyway, I have bone chips and tendons or whatever moving around in that elbow all the time. When I do push-ups (or rather, when I did years ago, lulz) there is some kind of ligament that snags on a bone and slips off... it doesn't hurt that bad, but it sure bothers me enough to stop the activity. Basically, that was a long way of saying Justin Smith is a beast for even trying.

Could that bone spur cause further damage?

Do ligaments strengthen after healing like muscle?

I wish I could just know everything.

The muscle proabably tore off the bone and ripped some bone off.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
If Smith plays during the playoffs he'll go down as probably my all time favorite Niner...

GET US THAT RING COWBOY!!!

Reggie White played with a full cast on his hand for like half a season, and he was still dominant. He just used it as a club.

There are many groovy things you can do with crippled limbs...

jack youngblood played the playoffs after the 1979 season with a broken leg, played in the super bowl which his team lost, then went to the pro bowl the next week
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The muscle proabably tore off the bone and ripped some bone off.

No idea... it was his tendon and not muscle, though. Must hurt like a b***h.

I never thought I'd see Cowboy take himself out of a game. I was shocked.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
jack youngblood played the playoffs after the 1979 season with a broken leg, played in the super bowl which his team lost, then went to the pro bowl the next week

Meh, if he was a real man he'd have just cut the leg off. Probably would have won the Super Bowl.

Was it Leftwich that had his linemen carry him downfield after breaking his leg to finish the comeback drive to win a big game in college?

The human body is capable of some pretty crazy s**t.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Ronnie Lott-esque. Smith is a badass!
On CSNBA this morning, was reported that this injury would take about 12 weeks to heal on its own. I don't know what that translates to in terms of how much pain he'd have to play through, or if it translates at all. Doesn't sound good though. Harbaugh said he would have surgery on it after the playoffs.

The muscle inserts to the bone via the tendon.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

The muscle inserts to the bone via the tendon.

My bad, I read it wrong. Thought you wrote the muscle tore, but you wrote the bone tore off.

We'd have to look at x-rays or something to get a better idea, I guess. No clue where the spur was located.

Isn't tendon tougher than muscle? You'd think the muscle would tear first.

I wonder if his doc even knows exactly how it happened.
In this article there are even better pictures of Justin "holding up" two defenders, creating an easy path to the QB for a sack (last year's Browns game).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2012/film-room-packers-niners
Justin could have a "torn" spinal cord and you are not going to keep him out of the playoffs

If the reports are accurate that it is a bone spur that came lose, that he is going to need offseason surgery anyway, and that he cannot make it worse, then I'm sure #94 will be there come playoff time. They'll shoot that thing up with pain killers and he'll fight. Give me .75 Justin Smiffs and that is still 1.5 of a DL
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Ronnie Lott-esque. Smith is a badass!

Cut that Mutha off

Hacksaw style
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Justin could have a "torn" spinal cord and you are not going to keep him out of the playoffs

If the reports are accurate that it is a bone spur that came lose, that he is going to need offseason surgery anyway, and that he cannot make it worse, then I'm sure #94 will be there come playoff time. They'll shoot that thing up with pain killers and he'll fight. Give me .75 Justin Smiffs and that is still 1.5 of a DL

Exactly, which is why I think he plays, as well. -They're gonna rig him up with J.J. Watt's mechanical arm brace (with plating over the elbow) so it doesn't get hit/extend.