There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Going into the playoffs with momentum.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Momentum isn't the problem.

Its going into the playoffs without Justin Smith, Manningham, Kendall Hunter, KW, Jacobs (suspended), and with VD's status still uncertain.

Although the W/L column in the regular season doesn't effect the playoffs, the amount of injuries we piled up here at the end does.

i'll be in the minority but i dont think our injury situation is that bad. so we lost a back up rb and and a couple of wr's, one who was a starter and one who was a part time player on O. justin smith is a big deal but i expect VD back. i'd rather not have the injuries we've had but i dont think its something insane. we just won in new england without most of those guys.
Here's a good breakdown on the myth that is momentum going into the playoffs.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/12/27/the-seattle-seahawks-and-myth-of-momentum-going-into-the-playoffs/
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This s the thing that's kinda annoyed me about this season and the Giants started it.

Everybody's trying to identify the "hot" team just because the Giants lucked up tiwce to win SB's with teams that weren't that good. The whole season everybody gave the Giants the benefit of the doubt because "you don't want to face them in the playoffs"

Though Seattle's been playing well, they will lose one of their away games and I could only hope we get the chance to play those fvckers again.

Our SB chances hinge on whether we beat the Cardinals and whether or not the Vikes beat the Packers. With all the injuries, if we can get a week to catch our breath and play a home game, it will bode well for our chances. Otherwise I don't see us making it.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Its going into the playoffs without Justin Smith, Manningham, Kendall Hunter, KW, Jacobs (suspended), and with VD's status still uncertain.

Although the W/L column in the regular season doesn't effect the playoffs, the amount of injuries we piled up here at the end does.

If I'm not mistaken the team can lift Jacobs' suspension at any time, not that they will. Not sure how he fits into the point you were trying to make. The rest of the players you mentioned were actually contributors, and yes it sucks to lose them.

Ain't Jacobs 260 lbs? We can convert him to DE.
Going back to last year this team, and Harbaugh in particular seem to really respond when they are being doubted. Harbaugh rode that as a rallying cry all the way to OT of the NFC Championship game last year.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

If I'm not mistaken the team can lift Jacobs' suspension at any time, not that they will. Not sure how he fits into the point you were trying to make. The rest of the players you mentioned were actually contributors, and yes it sucks to lose them.
This was a mistake by Harbaugh not to use Jacobs. I think he could have been a solid short yardage back and help convert more 3rd downs, the Niners biggest weakness on offense--along with red zone.

I think the one thing I realize now over what I was thinking last year is Harbaugh is not a Bill Walsh. Last year I was thinking wow--maybe we have the next genious, the next Bill Walsh. But now I realize Harbaugh is his own man, but he is not in the Bill Walsh class. Walsh would have found a way for the stars on offense to be productive--Vernon Davis, Crabtree, Moss, the short passing game using Gore, James and Bruce Miller. Harbaugh has some of that Ditka in him, less flash, less success.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
After the Seattle game many of us thought the season may be lost. This article with Tom Brady helped me chill.

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/brady-momentum-doesnt-carry-over-in-nfl?blockID=817337&feedID=10426

Great article though one thing sticks out like a mofo and that is we dont have a proven QB unlike the QB in those teams and the 9ers really dont fit in any of those SB winning teams mould. We are a momentum team, we play well with it and we cant seem to find a way to come back (apart from the Patriots game) when we lose it. We need that roll on, its just as important as the team preparing for the playoffs.
We are locked in a playoff berth

Don't give a s**t about the 2 seed and a first round bye
It won't help our chances all that much
People on this board talk as if a wildcard game is the end of the world or that the bye is gonna magically give us 20 free point
Niners just need to go out an play good
Just get to January and hit someone in the mouth and they'll have all the momentum they need
even if tom says momentum doesnt matter id rather we smash the cards and start feeling like we have a great team again than stumble into the playoffs after that embarrassing defeat to f**kin seattle