LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Old Justin Smith Article which side are you on?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Old Justin Smith Article which side are you on?

Remember this article from back in June from J Smith himself. (Damn we've come a long way this year)

I will include the article and his words below, but with the QB change, injuries at WR, HB, the playcalling at times, etc. In a way are we building, or are we focused?

I for one have to say it feels like we are building with soo many situations and injuries as a team.

here's what he said;

"The mindset that I've kind of been spreading a little bit to the guys is, 'You know, your team isn't always stacked forever,'" Smith said. "With free agency, the way drafts are set up – if you have successful seasons you get the lower end of the draft. You have certain windows. And you don't want to get into 'Is this our window? Do have two years, three years?' I wouldn't say that. I know with some of the guys that he we have and with free agency and all that, we're not going to be able to keep this team together forever. "Even age-wise, the whole team won't be the same. I'm kind of stressing, let's go about this in a way that we're kind of focused, we're not building. Let's do it this year and then see what happens next year. Take a year-by-year approach. I think this year, put everything together and work the way that we need to work, hopefully we can accomplish our goal."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/06/14/justin-smith-is-talking-super-bowl-and-this-time-he-means-it/

for the record the only uncertainty is your take of the difference between focused and building.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM ]
He's totally right. There are windows. Justin is now injured. P-Willy is descending, Bowman ascending. Goldson - who knows. Aldon gonna want a big contract. 2 ACLs at WR.

Harbs rolled the dice

They are still moving around at the wall

Are we gonna get a 7 (pardon the pun)

Or Snake Eyes (pardon the pun)
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
He's totally right. There are windows. Justin is now injured. P-Willy is descending, Bowman ascending. Goldson - who knows. Aldon gonna want a big contract. 2 ACLs at WR.

Harbs rolled the dice

Patrick Willis is not declining IMO. He has been asked to fill a different role.

Harbs rolled the dice

P-Willy is descending? Really! his play is not going down!
Originally posted by ninerfan52:

Harbs rolled the dice

P-Willy is descending? Really! his play is not going down!

I'm not saying he is not a great player. Definite HOF bound. But he is not ascending. He's been in the league 6 years, 6 Pro Bowls. I don't know that he'll make the next 6. I know he'll make 10 total for sure. His sacks (.5) and TDs (0) are down. I know that his greatness makes Bowman great.

But, there were games this year where he was human. Prior to this year, saying that he had a "human" game was blasphemous. I'm not basing it on tackles because Bowman gets all those now.
I don't think focused is simplifying your offense at halftime in a game that involves securing the second seed of the playoffs.

We're building into a more balanced, offensively potent team, but picked a terrible time to start the building phase. The top two picks of our draft are examples of that.

Part of me thinks that we overloaded on offensive talent, that Alex Smith wasn't going to be able to utilize, and the potential for locker room turmoil started becoming a possibility. Hence the reason Kaep was named starter before next season.
I'm not saying he is not a great player. Definite HOF bound. But he is not ascending. He's been in the league 6 years, 6 Pro Bowls. I don't know that he'll make the next 6. I know he'll make 10 total for sure. His sacks (.5) and TDs (0) are down. I know that his greatness makes Bowman great.

But, there were games this year where he was human. Prior to this year, saying that he had a "human" game was blasphemous. I'm not basing it on tackles because Bowman gets all those now.

I'll buy that he is at his peak but I don't think he is on the decline at age 27.
He looks more human because of his role change.
  • Ether
  • Veteran

His sacks are down because some scrub on the team has 19.5 sacks. Willis has little responsibility in rushing the passer.
Since when did we start judging Linebackers on the number of TD's they score??
Willis sucks, trade him for tebow now!!!

Originally posted by rxrunner:
Willis sucks, trade him for tebow now!!!

Maybe if we throw in a foot massager with that deal then we can get Darrel Revis... .
Originally posted by bigmur49:

LOL, same thing I thought. Come on son...
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Willis descending? I laugh at this.....Since Bowman started, Bowman now plays the more "roaming" role that PW played with Spikes. Also the use of "lack of TDs" as an argument to say PW is "descending" is very laughable, by that logic PW has been "descending" since his 3rd year in the NFL since he hasn't had a TD since 2009.......

We rarely send our MLBs on blitzes since Fangio has come aboard, both Bowman and Willis totalled 2 sacks each in 2011, Bowman has 2 this season and PW has .5 -- Like others have said our 2 OLBs combine for 25 sacks this season alone, last season Haralson/Aldon/Brooks combined for 23. We put the pass rushing load on our OLBs and DEs and let our MLBs focus on coverage and tackles.

Our coaches can "widen" the window by rotating players more frequently, the fact that all of our defensive starters play 90-95% of the snaps a game is kind of ridiculous. 2013 draft is going to involve 1 WR 1 TE maybe 1 Center but the rest of the picks will be defensive players to load up as our starters are mostly "aging" veterans, excluding Aldon, Bowman, and Culliver the rest of our defensive starters are at least 28(TB turns 28 in a week)
Originally posted by bigmur49:

never in my life have i heard such stupidity
p willy is descending. is this a comedy website. patrick willis wont descend until the day he retires, when you go from having a defense with 1 or 2 stars on it to a defense with all 11 starters being stars, individual players stop getting 100% of the attention. in other words patrick is no longer our only good player on D, at this point their all great thats why they all get attention instead of just patrick. an hes not doin everything he used to cuz he doesnt need to hes got ballers surrounding him to do their jobs that he had to do before.
Share 49ersWebzone