There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

ONCE AGAIN - we drift into the terrible Alex/Kap takeover of an excellent thread.

We should be VERY concerned about our DLine.

63 points on the D since Justin went out, not including the TD on the blocked FG.

Most of the D was on the field the whole game and were gassed. We better worry about this in the playoffs.

Ray Mac has almost disappeared, our rotation sucks!

We were ZERO in the Red Zone - I blame play calling.

If we don't do something about our pass rush we aren't going to the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
ONCE AGAIN - we drift into the terrible Alex/Kap takeover of an excellent thread.

We should be VERY concerned about our DLine.

63 points on the D since Justin went out, not including the TD on the blocked FG.

Most of the D was on the field the whole game and were gassed. We better worry about this in the playoffs.

Ray Mac has almost disappeared, our rotation sucks!

We were ZERO in the Red Zone - I blame play calling.

If we don't do something about our pass rush we aren't going to the Super Bowl.

We're all discussing our post-game review thoughts. We are concerned about many positions, not just QB. QB just happens to be one.

And I'm not sure what you mean with RayMac. He had two sacks after Justin went out against the Patriots, and he was one of the only ones getting pressure against the Seahawks. He helped open things up a few times for Aldon and Brooks but they just couldn't make the play. RJF, however, good heavens he just embarrassed himself out there. Dobbs on IR REALLY hurts us. He is a better pass-rusher than Jean-Francois.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM ]
RJF had a very rough game. That was the first time we've really seen him get extended playing time at DE, and hopefully its the last. He's done a nice job starting at NT for Soap. He just doesn't have the combination range and strength needed to play DE for long stretches.
Originally posted by RussellWilson:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Harbaugh/Caroll/Sherman: I've had just about enough of this. I dunno if Harbaugh honked at the bus at the 'stick. Frankly I don't care. I can tell you this though...I CAN'T STAND Richard Sherman. His big beef with Harbaugh is that Harbaugh switched him to DB when he wanted to play WR. Yeah...looks like Harbaugh was WAY off the mark on that one SMDH. That dude had a very good game last night and has turned into a very good player...but he needs to shuit the hell up. I never advocate hurting players, but I have to admit I wouldn't shed a tear if someone took out his knees. I guess I can just enjoy the knowledge that he'll be sitting at home when his team is eliminated from the playoffs. I am really annoyed tho that he was even allowed to play in the game. Its a joke that he'll play 3 fulkl games while appealing his suspension. JOKE. As for Carroll, him being portrayed as having class is another big joke. The guy jumped ship from USC just before they were hit with sanctions. Coincidense? I think not. He just ran up the score last week. This thig is going to get ugly at some point and I hope we see that team again in the playoffs...AT THE 'STICK. That stadium is a crazy homefield advantage. Gratz to them for having that, but the Super Bowl is on a neutral Field...so good luck with that.

Stay classy Niner fans.

Sherman is a s*it talker. That's his game. You guys have had several of those, its just different when that type of player is on a division rival. LOL at hoping someone seriously injures the guy though. Is that the Niner way now? Such a classy fan base here.

FYI - It was Sherman's decision to move to DB because Harbaugh buried him on the depth chart. That's how Harbaugh forced Sherman to make the position switch, and the dude would find an axe to grind with any coach or team.. that's who he is.

That's rich. Stay classy in regards to Sherman? Sherman is a punk of the first order and I can't wait till he gets his...because its coming. I'm not talking about injury. He is NOWHERE near as good as he imagines he is. I don't care what you say, I can't stand the guy and I don't think Niner fans are alone in this.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
First of all, i am stating an opinion...Second of all, I am still rooting for the team like always but i don't see them going far..kaepernick is not Aaron Rodgers..and Greg Roman is not Mike McCarthy..So please..shut up.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Stay classy Niner fans.

Sherman is a s*it talker. That's his game. You guys have had several of those, its just different when that type of player is on a division rival. LOL at hoping someone seriously injures the guy though. Is that the Niner way now? Such a classy fan base here.

FYI - It was Sherman's decision to move to DB because Harbaugh buried him on the depth chart. That's how Harbaugh forced Sherman to make the position switch, and the dude would find an axe to grind with any coach or team.. that's who he is.

Sorry Russell, but it's your team who lacks class. We beat you guys three straight times heading into that game. Not once did any of our guys disrespect a member of your team. Your team has done nothing but talk s**t after the game. That's fine. It will make it all the more sweeter when you go one and done in the playoffs. Sunday is your last game at home. Enjoy it.

...lol. And it's coming from a fan of a team with total slime as a Head Coach. Mr "Oh, NCAA sanctions are coming, time to leave now"!!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
RJF had a very rough game. That was the first time we've really seen him get extended playing time at DE, and hopefully its the last. He's done a nice job starting at NT for Soap. He just doesn't have the combination range and strength needed to play DE for long stretches.

I think he started off rough, but looked to improve as the game went on...or at least didn't look as bad as he started...lol. But I saw him get penetration a couple of times on passes. But yeah you can tell there is a big difference.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Was waiting for this post so I could add my own thoughts:

The defense was definitely gassed, you could see it in Aldon chasing Russell - he just didn't have the energy on a lot of those plays. It was not helped by the loss of Cowboy, but beyond that we have some real issues in terms of depth and strategy. We don't seem to blitz nearly enough, we've got great man coverage but we don't keep the opponent honest enough by committing more to the blitz. We stayed with 3-4 and let Wilson scramble around with minimal pressure on most downs and he's more than good enough to scramble or find the open receiver.
Leaving the same guys on the pitch for the full season is really having an impact, especially with back to back road games like we've just played - particularly after the NE game where the defense was on the field for so long, they were tired at the end of that game and flat/tired at the start of this. Not sure what practice was like mid week, I would have hoped it was light though to let them recharge. Either way we need to address this for the play offs, not only does it tire the regular starters but it means guys coming in to replace injuries are not at match pace or even fitness.

On the offense side, there are two things that stick out to me - play calling by Roman is far too up and down and more importantly our O-line is not up to the standard needed. This latter is really becoming apparent, how many times have we seen the QB (Kaep or Alex) sacked from someone coming in completely untouched from the D-Line - it's embarrassing and should not happen. It's unacceptable to have def pass rushers not being picked up by anyone and getting a free hit.

I think the pass blocking is terribly shocking. The amount of times Goodwin, Davis and Staley seem to give up on their blocks after a second or 2 (or get beat fast) is again unacceptable, it's contributing to the sack count against us and massively hurting the O. Look at the time that Brady, Big Ben and Rodgers are given in the pocket to find a pass and extend the play - something that just doesn't happen for us at all. This is why Alex and Kaep are getting sacked or flushed so many times, particularly when we get blitzed which is exacerbated by Roman's utter lack of screen plays.

Beyond this, Roman doesn't seem to know what he is planning for - we're either a run away success or a dead failure, we're not consistent at all and that tells me we're not planning properly and when we do excel it's because we've good match ups and playing to our strength. It's becoming clear that we struggle in any match up that's even or slightly against us, and we go out with nothing when we've a bad match up. It all suggest an inability to plan for the team we are playing - if we were consistently scoring 20+ even in bad games I would take that as a sign we know what we need to do, however the losses to the Giants, the Seahawks and Minnesota suggest to me that if someone has our number there's nothing we can do.

I can't see us winning the Superbowl this year unfortunately, but in the off-season we need to really improve our O line, depth on D (including a ballhawk) and get a new OC.

Agreed. Not having the kind of depth on the D line that allows us to rotate continuously is really a problem. They were definitely gassed. Pass blocking is still lacking also. We have some holes for sure.
Stay classy Niner fans.

Hey Russ...how's the trophy case looking? Kind of empty?
I do not usually have an opinion and I just like to read other people's thoughts, but here are my .02: 1) Not many people are talking about the weather during this game. This can really affect the defense when it comes to reacting. Not so much the offense. The offense knows what they are going to do and as a defense you must react. If the field is wet and it was pouring that night, it will be hard to get a good solid tackle in there. I played football in HS and many times in the rain. Whenever I tried to tackle the RB it seemed as if I was always a step behind him trying to grasp for his jersey. Obviously I wasn't an NFL LB so they should have tackled way better than they did, but a wet field can affect your speed and pursuit. 2) The NE game definitely affected our Defense. It seemed from the start they picked up right where they left off as if Brady was still in there for the Seahawks. Russell Wilson is good, but not that good. Next year and for years to come he will not be that effective. Defenses will catch up to him. He had the privilege of a crazy good home crowd, a slow and depleted 49ers Defense, short fields to work with, and a 21-0 lead after the 1st quarter. The play calling for Seattle was awesome and gave him some easy reads/throws. All the stars aligned for RW that night and he took advantage of it. Good for him, but I am not sold he is that good yet. 3) The offense in one word was frustrating. So much potential, yet so predictable. I counted at least 3 times they called a play-action and Kapernick went one way, and Gore went the other. They just looked stupid and incompetent. It seemed every play was a half-ass play-action that went to a checkdown. You HAVE to run to set up the PA. And if you do decide to do a PA, at least make it look real. Ok enough about PA's because that was bothering me. 4) The run game is worse now. No way to beat around this bush. Yes our offense looks and seems flashier, but we lost our identity. I do not see any more of those dominating runs we saw last year and earlier this year. I can't remember the name of it, but it was that one technique/formation we kept owning the Lions on. Well, we need that back. Now it is all these pistol-misdirection runs that are just not working. The theory is correct, but the players are not executing well enough and the power runs were our bread and butter runs. 5) Kaepernick will be fine. For all the people that think defenses have him figured out, do you have no faith in our coach? The same coach who virtually resurrected Alex Smith from the dead and made him a pretty damn good QB? The same coach who brought a cellar-dwelling team with years of mediocrity back into the spot-light? The same coach who made it fun to watch 49ers football again? If you think Jim has shown all his cards with Kaep, then boy you are wrong. I feel we haven't seen anything yet. Jim went through 27 games with AS at QB and made him good, he has gone 6 games with Kaep and made him just as good if not better. I can't wait until next year because I think our offense will be unstoppable. 6) It is a great thing we are so mad right about this loss right now. If we were not mad, then we wouldn't matter. The fact that we have 10 wins and are pissed off we might not get the #2 seed makes me smile. It wasn't too long ago when we were fighting for the #2 pick in the draft. I leave it on that note.
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Dec 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM ]
Yo wtf I had that paragraphed off and numbered! Why won't it show up that way? And why do I have to stretch the typing box out whenever I want to post something? WHAT IS GOING ON??!!
[
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We were humiliated. Week 16 is not the time for CK to be having "learning experiences" when we want to make a Super Bowl run. This change should never have been made until next year. There's not a snowballs chance in Hades that we make it through back to back ferocious playoff crowds in Green Bay and Atlanta with Kaepernick at the helm. I just don't see it.

I know, it's all opinion, but that is my gut feeling. I love my team to death and it frustrates me like no other to have to sit here and feel like we made a mistake that is going to cost us at the very least a deep run into the post-season.

The one thing that no one seems to bring up regarding Kaep is he is having to play and win with FAR less playmakers! No Hunter, Williams, Manningham. We can't go i-formation play action because James can't pass protect. When we 5-7 step drop, Gore has to stay in to help pass block so that option is taken away. I think he's doing a bang-up job, especially when you consider what he's working with! Nevermind he's played 4 road games and two of those were in Crappy weather.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Dec 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
The one thing that no one seems to bring up regarding Kaep is he is having to play and win with FAR less playmakers! No Hunter, Williams, Manningham. We can't go i-formation play action because James can't pass protect. When we 5-7 step drop, Gore has to stay in to help pass block so that option is taken away. I think he's doing a bang-up job, especially when you consider what he's working with! Nevermind he's played 4 road games and two of those were in Crappy weather.

i think you overstate the importance of these three...hunter was a backup rb, who has been replaced by a similar player in james...williams was a backup $4 receiver on a team that rarely goes with 4 receiver sets....manningham is a significant loss, but with him niners still could muster nothing vs seahawks
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

i formation isnt really a passing formation is it--not sure why you think it makes a difference on the passing game
[ Edited by hofer36 on Dec 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM ]
mmm...Sdaddy, maybe that means we should be playing dink and dunk, a la Joe Montana? Somewhere, somehow, I think Coach H got it in his head that we have to go long to win. In Sun nite's game, when we received and started on the 15 yd line, do you really think a long rainbow that Kap has thrown a bunch of, (but most were just good looking and about 2-3 yds too long ) should have been the play we start with?. Jeez on the 15, I wouldv'e thot if we passed it would be a one stepper on two stepper....ie snap it and sling it. Field is wet, close in passes way easier to catch, way more likely of being on target. I think what Coach H got is not what he envisioned, and needs to reflect on what are Kaps strengths, (like he did wth alex) and what are his weaknesses? The long ball sure is pretty, but i can't remember more than 2 getting caught, and the rest overthrown. Meantime, trying for kap to find a receiver, we somehow lose our running game...our best strength. OK, i agree with OTC that the QB switch should have been at begining of season , not 3/4 thru it. But now, Coach (or roman) is getting confused with alex's strengths and Kaps strengths. Actually Kaps long ball is very unsuccessful in completions, w/ 2 long ones caught and many thrown.

Another item is kap has to learn not to hang his receivers out to dry, like he did vernon. The steroid man, who got a reprieve for this game, had no business being on the field. Then he wipes out vernon. Well, in fact the ball should never have been thrown like that. Rainbows let someone tee off on the receiver. Ropes don't. Memo to kap: don't ever leave one of your receivers in that position where they can get permanently injured with the rainbow pass. If you are going to throw it, shoot a laser beam. You got the arm.

Marvin , nice summary as usual, but this was hard to watch. What i got out of it is our O game plan was horrid. Only our D game plan was worse. Neither brooks nor aldon could catch Wilson on one play, but that is schoolyard football. Russ wilson is going to appear on the injury IR list one day, and he probably won't come off it. It looks good when it works, but somebody is going to come up with a D that makes a doormat out of wilson. Hasn't happened yet, but it will.

Just looking at our last FA and draft, many were really in the dumps that neither #1 nor #2 played. Well, now they do, and they are a Godsend. Did coach H know something we didn't? And all the WRs in camp and grumbling about too many. Well now we got crbs, moss and AJ. for Rb starters we got frank and LaMic. Seems like coach and baalke did darn well considering all the mayhem that has befallen us.