LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
7. I wish it was Richard Sherman and not Manningham that got the torn ACL. Hell I wish he got his damn head torn off...I F-ing hate that guy.
I, for one, am quite excited to see the rams and seahawks rising up. It's going to make this division and team better for a long while. Every division game will be like a playoff game and that's great experience for the team. Nerve racking for us but still.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. Really bad draft and off season moves this year compared to last.

Its like night and day.

I don't know if I agree that it was a "really bad draft," but one thing is pretty certain. They've got a ton of picks for the next one and you can bet they'll package some of them to move up for a stud D lineman in the first round. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't happen.

Yeah I don't buy the "bad draft" thing at all. These guys are not playing because 1) they were drafted for the future, 2) are hurt, or 3) were hurt when they were drafted so got them at lower pick than they should have to begin with. They also traded s number of picks for picks THIS year. Why? Because they weren't going to have that many spots for players to make the team. Push back those picks and improve your position in the draft. That's what the Pats did for years until they finally used those picks THIS year.

As for the Free Agents, I think they did pretty well. The had a weakness at WR and they filled it very cheaply with 2 players (Moss and Manninham). Jacobs wasn't great, but neither was Edwards last year. Most importantly, they are making these moves CHEAPLY and filling their needs SMARTLY. They didn't get players like Whitner and Rogers this year, but they didn't need them they have instead been resigning the players they need to like Rogers and Bowman. Hopefully, Goldson is next.

Please Marvin, I prefer "inexpensively" to Cheaply"! Cheap is a buck fitty and breaks quickly. Aside from that, as always, nicely written.

But for the Kap comments, don't you think the oline had the worst game of the season? The Vikes game comes to mind as well. I mean anytime there was more than 2 seconds he made a play. But the rest of the time they collapsed the tackles and there were many times I saw a V rush with 2 guys coming at him and sometimes a safty running free up the middle..

Bad, bad, bad oline pass-blocking IMO..

All the best these Holidays!
Win one game in what 6 tries and all of a sudden you think you have our number....these Seahawks make me laugh, I really hope we kill them in the playoffs....
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Win one game in what 6 tries and all of a sudden you think you have our number....these Seahawks make me laugh, I really hope we kill them in the playoffs....

Gonna be fights on the filed I think..big mouths need shutting..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. Really bad draft and off season moves this year compared to last.

Its like night and day.

I don't know if I agree that it was a "really bad draft," but one thing is pretty certain. They've got a ton of picks for the next one and you can bet they'll package some of them to move up for a stud D lineman in the first round. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't happen.

Yeah I don't buy the "bad draft" thing at all. These guys are not playing because 1) they were drafted for the future, 2) are hurt, or 3) were hurt when they were drafted so got them at lower pick than they should have to begin with. They also traded s number of picks for picks THIS year. Why? Because they weren't going to have that many spots for players to make the team. Push back those picks and improve your position in the draft. That's what the Pats did for years until they finally used those picks THIS year.

As for the Free Agents, I think they did pretty well. The had a weakness at WR and they filled it very cheaply with 2 players (Moss and Manninham). Jacobs wasn't great, but neither was Edwards last year. Most importantly, they are making these moves CHEAPLY and filling their needs SMARTLY. They didn't get players like Whitner and Rogers this year, but they didn't need them they have instead been resigning the players they need to like Rogers and Bowman. Hopefully, Goldson is next.

Please Marvin, I prefer "inexpensively" to Cheaply"! Cheap is a buck fitty and breaks quickly. Aside from that, as always, nicely written.

But for the Kap comments, don't you think the oline had the worst game of the season? The Vikes game comes to mind as well. I mean anytime there was more than 2 seconds he made a play. But the rest of the time they collapsed the tackles and there were many times I saw a V rush with 2 guys coming at him and sometimes a safty running free up the middle..

Bad, bad, bad oline pass-blocking IMO..

All the best these Holidays!

Yes, inexpensive is better...and easily cut if they don't work out. ;-)

Yes, the Oline had issues, but that D is ALWAYS going to get a jump when the O has to go on a silent count. That's part of the Homefield advantage.
  • dj43
Just finished watching it again myself. My thoughts agree with Marvin for the most part. Couple added points:

The defense without Justin Smith is not at all the same. Seattle ran right at RJF from the beginning and he didn't play badly but Okung handled him rather easily by himself. No way he does that against Smith. The fact Harbaugh is now saying he is "hopeful" Justin is back for the playoffs suggests he has a major injury and they are just hoping it might heal enough in the next two weeks so he can contribute. I am a bit skeptical of him being able to play like he has.

Along that same line; with Justin out of the game Aldon was nothing to speak of. Not only did he get very little pressure, he was never able to set the edge very well on running plays. Several times he was pushed back 5+ yards while the play went streaming past. Part of that may have been fatigue from last week but his technique on run plays was not good.

Lack of depth in the WR group continues to plague this team. Crabtree is the only guy that demands attention. The rest are nothing special.

CK continues his learning process. Seattle set out to control him in the pocket and force him to play in a more conventional fashion and they succeeded. He never seemed comfortable at any point in the game. We will never know if Alex Smith would have made a difference in this game. Things got out of hand quickly, however, Smith's experience in noisy environments like this may have made a difference. In any case, Harbaugh has clearly demonstrated he is going to sink or swim with Kaepernick so speculation is irrelevant.

Seattle is peaking at the right time and the 49ers were tired and beat up. I hope rest and a very weak Arizona team will be the cure but I don't like all the players that have gone down. Losing Hunter and having LMJ as the backup forces a change in the offense when Gore is not in the game. Though James has some skills, it is not a good thing when a substitution keys the opponent to the type of plays that may be run.

Going to be a long week of waiting but this is the game you just delete and move on.
Originally posted by dj43:
Just finished watching it again myself. My thoughts agree with Marvin for the most part. Couple added points:

The defense without Justin Smith is not at all the same. Seattle ran right at RJF from the beginning and he didn't play badly but Okung handled him rather easily by himself. No way he does that against Smith. The fact Harbaugh is now saying he is "hopeful" Justin is back for the playoffs suggests he has a major injury and they are just hoping it might heal enough in the next two weeks so he can contribute. I am a bit skeptical of him being able to play like he has.

Along that same line; with Justin out of the game Aldon was nothing to speak of. Not only did he get very little pressure, he was never able to set the edge very well on running plays. Several times he was pushed back 5+ yards while the play went streaming past. Part of that may have been fatigue from last week but his technique on run plays was not good.

Lack of depth in the WR group continues to plague this team. Crabtree is the only guy that demands attention. The rest are nothing special.

CK continues his learning process. Seattle set out to control him in the pocket and force him to play in a more conventional fashion and they succeeded. He never seemed comfortable at any point in the game. We will never know if Alex Smith would have made a difference in this game. Things got out of hand quickly, however, Smith's experience in noisy environments like this may have made a difference. In any case, Harbaugh has clearly demonstrated he is going to sink or swim with Kaepernick so speculation is irrelevant.

Seattle is peaking at the right time and the 49ers were tired and beat up. I hope rest and a very weak Arizona team will be the cure but I don't like all the players that have gone down. Losing Hunter and having LMJ as the backup forces a change in the offense when Gore is not in the game. Though James has some skills, it is not a good thing when a substitution keys the opponent to the type of plays that may be run.

Going to be a long week of waiting but this is the game you just delete and move on.
I think James can be a huge part of the offense, but more as a receiver--like a sproles--I would like to see some Gore-James backfields, I think with kaeps arm and ability for medium to deep passes, the short pass to James could be a very prolific weapon for this offense.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
I, for one, am quite excited to see the rams and seahawks rising up. It's going to make this division and team better for a long while. Every division game will be like a playoff game and that's great experience for the team. Nerve racking for us but still.
Really!
yah its great to see the seahawks and rams finally beat us, Not. Division games are tough regardless usually, them rising up just gives us less room for error during the rest of the season

I don't have a problem with Seattle's 12th Man but I do have a problem with the 13th Man who pipes in crowd noise.

The 49er offence couldn't even hear in the huddle, let alone signals at the line and the snap count.

Isn't it illegal to use the PA system to disrupt a team? You always hear music stop when a play is about to begin, why not piped-in crowd noise?

This is an unfair advantage, and the league needs to put a stop to it.

I am not saying that is why the 49ers lost, but I believe it was a contributing factor.

New Orleans is also notorious for this.

The league needs to end this practice before all 32 teams do it.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I wonder if it would have made a difference if our defense started the game. The defense is the heart of this team and they can set the tone. By the time the defense saw the field, they were backed up on their own 35.

But instead, the offense starts the game and they go 3 straight incomplete passes, then punt and get a 15 yard penalty

This^^^^!
Originally posted by jackmehada:
7. I wish it was Richard Sherman and not Manningham that got the torn ACL. Hell I wish he got his damn head torn off...I F-ing hate that guy.

I'm right with you on that guy. I love his explanation in the NBC postgame of the league "cheating" on his possible suspension. Yea, you know, goodell done screwed over New Orleans so next in line is the starting CBs in seattle. Maybe the league should really crack down and stop letting him hold 15 yards down the field every play. Seattle is a very "cocky for no reason" team. I also love his disrespect for his college coach. Mockingly wishing him happy birthday. You know Harbaugh is just a terrible guy, giving you a scholarship and coaching you well enough to get to the NFL. Oh well, it stuff like this that makes rematches that much more special.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by jackmehada:

I'm right with you on that guy. I love his explanation in the NBC postgame of the league "cheating" on his possible suspension. Yea, you know, goodell done screwed over New Orleans so next in line is the starting CBs in seattle. Maybe the league should really crack down and stop letting him hold 15 yards down the field every play. Seattle is a very "cocky for no reason" team. I also love his disrespect for his college coach. Mockingly wishing him happy birthday. You know Harbaugh is just a terrible guy, giving you a scholarship and coaching you well enough to get to the NFL. Oh well, it stuff like this that makes rematches that much more special.

Sherman is giving Stanford a bad name.
Originally posted by 49amane:
yah its great to see the seahawks and rams finally beat us, Not. Division games are tough regardless usually, them rising up just gives us less room for error during the rest of the season

It's great is it?
Share 49ersWebzone