There are 218 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by b9er37:
Well said... One thing that stood out to me was coming out firing passes on the first series. Maybe Harbs thought we could get a quick score and take the crowd out of it. That backfired in a big way. IMO we need to rely on our run game exactly how we used to do with AS.

it worked the week before vs pats--but seattle has a much better defense--would have probably been worse if browner had played
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The Vikings absolutely have a chance. They're at home and this is a must-win game for them.

they have about as much of a chance as lloyd had with the beautiful girl in dumb and dumber---
As a hawks fan who was at the game and watched it again this morning on rewind, the 49ers just look like a tired team, and Kaepernick looked completely unready for a road game against a hot team in the league's loudest stadium. Not to boast or anything but I was at Candlestick in October for the Seahawks game, and there is just no comparison to how intense the crowd is there compared to the 12th man. Not saying niner fans are any less passionate, just the design and furor of the stadiums isn't the same. I didn't see it at the game but re-watching the broadcast, Kaepernick came off the field every time and the expression on his face was the kind of confusion I haven't seen in a while. I haven't heard the crowd that loud in a long time.

That being said, I think he's going to be a great QB, obviously as a rival I don't like him but I sure respect him and think the wilson v. kaepernick battles to come are going to be epic.

Back to the tired team though, I don't really buy that the 49ers were 'fatigued' from last weeks game like the OP implied, these are NFL athletes and I just can't see how playing a few more snaps one week would carry over that significantly to the next, it's not like it was a short week. but I do think that when you're playing at a high level for as long as the niners D has been doing it, eventually you're going to run out of juice, and at that point you can either completely fall off, or at least steady the ship and hang in there. They fell off last night. The frustration was evident.

Lastly, Russell Wilson gets it. He's not going to give away a game; if you beat him you're going to have to earn it. The recipe last night made earning it very hard.

Going to be fun seeing two teams from the NFC "worst" in the playoffs this year. Looks like the Rams aren't too far behind and if the Cardinals can find a QB before the window closes on their solid defense, its going to make for some good football to watch the next several seasons.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mo_hawk:
As a hawks fan who was at the game and watched it again this morning on rewind, the 49ers just look like a tired team...

Back to the tired team though, I don't really buy that the 49ers were 'fatigued' from last weeks game like the OP implied, these are NFL athletes and I just can't see how playing a few more snaps one week would carry over that significantly to the next

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't what you just said a contradiction???

The 49ers Defense played 60 snaps last night....compare that to 96 snaps the previous week, that equates to playing almost an entire extra half of football. That's certainly more than "a few more snaps" don't you think??

I also don't but that "stadium design" BS either.... The Eagles stadium is built similarly and they aren't close to the loudness of Seattle. Outdoor stadiums simply don't get louder than Domes unless they pump crowd noise in that stadium..........
[ Edited by SaksV on Dec 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM ]
As a hawks fan who was at the game and watched it again this morning on rewind, the 49ers just look like a tired team, and Kaepernick looked completely unready for a road game against a hot team in the league's loudest stadium. Not to boast or anything but I was at Candlestick in October for the Seahawks game, and there is just no comparison to how intense the crowd is there compared to the 12th man. Not saying niner fans are any less passionate, just the design and furor of the stadiums isn't the same. I didn't see it at the game but re-watching the broadcast, Kaepernick came off the field every time and the expression on his face was the kind of confusion I haven't seen in a while. I haven't heard the crowd that loud in a long time.

That being said, I think he's going to be a great QB, obviously as a rival I don't like him but I sure respect him and think the wilson v. kaepernick battles to come are going to be epic.

Back to the tired team though, I don't really buy that the 49ers were 'fatigued' from last weeks game like the OP implied, these are NFL athletes and I just can't see how playing a few more snaps one week would carry over that significantly to the next, it's not like it was a short week. but I do think that when you're playing at a high level for as long as the niners D has been doing it, eventually you're going to run out of juice, and at that point you can either completely fall off, or at least steady the ship and hang in there. They fell off last night. The frustration was evident.

Lastly, Russell Wilson gets it. He's not going to give away a game; if you beat him you're going to have to earn it. The recipe last night made earning it very hard.

Going to be fun seeing two teams from the NFC "worst" in the playoffs this year. Looks like the Rams aren't too far behind and if the Cardinals can find a QB before the window closes on their solid defense, its going to make for some good football to watch the next several seasons.

I agree with your assessment. You can analyze a lot of different aspects of the game, but overall it just looked like the Seahawks played more spring in their step. Whether they wanted it more, whether the Niners were coming off a beating Tom Brady high, it just looked like the 9ers were tired out there. The thing that is worrisome as a 9ers fan is the relative lack of rotation everywhere but RB. Give Justin a few snaps off, sub in Parish Cox, rotate in Jenkins more at WR and even Celek looked pretty good playing the Delanie Walker role. Sure you underperform a little, but the team is fresher come January. This 9ers team needs that bye week badly.

The Justin Smith injury hurts, but if the Seahawks game is really the devastating result of him not being in the lineup, then why are we paying all those LB's the high-price dollars? But to go from where they were to completely inept is disturbing.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 24, 2012 at 3:54 PM ]
what we like make them punt once? got rolled..........
5) Vernon: I dunno if that hit was legal or not. Goldson was flagged AND fined for a very similar hit last week. It was not helmet to helmet, but he did lead with his head and put his head down. I think it was in fact an illegal hit, but I wouldn't bet anything on it. Rergardless, it took a player we could not afford to lose out of the game.

I was thinking about that hit and the impact it had on our team. I came up with this idea. The penalty (15 yds) had little to no impact on Seattle but was devestating to us. How about this: If a player makes an illegal hit that forces another player out of the game then the player who was penelized must also leave the game and cannot return until the player he hit returns. What do you all think?

Classy and interesting point of view from a rival fan
Seattle is know for it's 12th man and what is disturbing is the niners coaching staff had last year game to figure out how to play with noise
They should have made kaep prepare better during the week for that
Disappointing.
We got outplayed, outcoached, and outdone in almost every way. Alex Smith would have been just as putrid if not worse. My only real complaint other than playcalling was for all the non calls against Seattle for illegal contact. The one play in the endzone the receiver was completely knocked down before the ball even got to him. I can see how they don't call all the clawing and pulling and hand contact but how do they seem to miss everything else? And why is it only against Seattle? Really think Seattle gets away with too much in the secondary and its been happening in every single game they've played this year.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

7) Harbaugh/Caroll/Sherman: I've had just about enough of this. I dunno if Harbaugh honked at the bus at the 'stick. Frankly I don't care. I can tell you this though...I CAN'T STAND Richard Sherman. His big beef with Harbaugh is that Harbaugh switched him to DB when he wanted to play WR. Yeah...looks like Harbaugh was WAY off the mark on that one SMDH. That dude had a very good game last night and has turned into a very good player...but he needs to shuit the hell up. I never advocate hurting players, but I have to admit I wouldn't shed a tear if someone took out his knees. I guess I can just enjoy the knowledge that he'll be sitting at home when his team is eliminated from the playoffs. I am really annoyed tho that he was even allowed to play in the game. Its a joke that he'll play 3 fulkl games while appealing his suspension. JOKE. As for Carroll, him being portrayed as having class is another big joke. The guy jumped ship from USC just before they were hit with sanctions. Coincidense? I think not. He just ran up the score last week. This thig is going to get ugly at some point and I hope we see that team again in the playoffs...AT THE 'STICK. That stadium is a crazy homefield advantage. Gratz to them for having that, but the Super Bowl is on a neutral Field...so good luck with that.

REALLY

is that what it's about?

yes harbaugh can be an a*s. but carroll is worse. in no way was ditching USC a coincidence.
No, his big beef is that he basically took him out of the depth chart at wide receiver after coming back from an injury, and that's why he asked to make the switch to DB because Harbaugh took him out of the competition at wide receiver. Harbaugh got pissed that Sherman opted for surgery.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/06/seahawks-cb-sherman-always-doubted.html

Does Sherman think he would have had a more lucrative or successful NFL career as a receiver?
rogers was getting abused, we really need a lock down corner.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
rogers was getting abused, we really need a lock down corner.

rogers f**king sucks. He has a pair of good safeties that help him out a lot of the time. He f**king sucks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We were humiliated. Week 16 is not the time for CK to be having "learning experiences" when we want to make a Super Bowl run. This change should never have been made until next year. There's not a snowballs chance in Hades that we make it through back to back ferocious playoff crowds in Green Bay and Atlanta with Kaepernick at the helm. I just don't see it.

I know, it's all opinion, but that is my gut feeling. I love my team to death and it frustrates me like no other to have to sit here and feel like we made a mistake that is going to cost us at the very least a deep run into the post-season.

Thats what i've been saying since the switch. someone said that finally everyone accepted the switch, but thats what i think hasnt been accepted. which is why the back and forth.

Marv, even i say you do a good job of analyzying, but you too this time. lol. fell into the trap about What Alex would of or wouldnt of done. There is no way to tell that. However the only fact to look at is this.

Under Harbs, in Seattle or at home. Smith is 3-0 vs Seattle. noise and all, so honestly it's not soo far fetched to think that Smith may have had a good game. The noise, audibles, checks, all that Smith had done a great job with against Seattle.

Marv, since you are pretty real and answer pretty fair. Even tho we will ride or die with Kaep, and i have accepted that.

You can see why a lot of fans, reporters, columnists all feel that, it's a mistake to have to worry about a learning curve and growing pains this late in the season.

I mean yes we support the move, because we support our coach, but that still dont mean we have to be happy with it. And it's a substantial reason, to feel that we may miss the playoffs becasue of it.

Do we as true fans hope that hell no. But i gotta be real, i aint felt good about our team since the switch and thats a valid way to feel. IMHO
Lets chalk it up to a bad game and get dudes healthy !! Move on
1. Kap ain't going nowhere get over it
2. With out jsmith we will continue to struggle against the run he just does so much
3.harbaugh is intense but he also is very smart and knows what he's doing
4. Ginn straight sucks this year let LJ get the punts and kickoff returns
5.i think Akers problems are all confedence issues and he will get better
Share 49ersWebzone