LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It all comes down to opinion. My opinion is mine, yours is yours, Harbaugh's is Harbaugh's. I feel we made a mistake and there are a plethora of valid reasons to believe so. No one is saying CK is the only problem here, or that we don't have any other issues. The message trying to be conveyed is that there are a lot of questions surrounding his readiness for playoff football. What's been happening on offense seemingly every other game is why these concerns are not subsiding.

One of the biggest reasons I like Alex is because at this point he is much more equipped to adjust a terrible play call into something half-decent. That's not to say he's God on the field and makes the perfect call every time, but we can see the difference. How many times did CK check into a run on Sunday? Didn't Gore have only like 6 carries? There was also the running into a brick wall of 10 RUN-BLITZING defenders that had everybody going, "WTF?" when CK had one-on-one coverage outside. You HAVE to be able to read that.

I love CK, I really do. Great person, tremendous talent. But I don't want our QB "crash-coursing" into the playoffs. That's a TERRIBLE idea. Jim Harbaugh isn't going to be right 100% of the time, and I won't either, but I disagree with him here for good reason. If CK doesn't play well enough in the playoffs, everyone's going to be stuck thinking would could have been. I hope I'm wrong -- we all hope that, really. I want a Super Bowl, not that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that things could've been different if this change hadn't been made.

Of course it's all opinion. Thats the whole point of the forum.

I disgree with the adjustment thing tho. Kaep has had his issues...there is no question...but while Alex may get them into a better play a bit more of the time, Kaep is more apt to make something of any play called. If a play breaks down, Alex will almost always throw it away or take the sack. Remember tho, I've been an Alex supporter on these forums since the day he was drafted. I don't hate the guy and think he's gotten a bad wrap 90% of the time he's been playing. Having said that tho, I am firmly behind this decision to start Kaep.

We can say all we want about the QB "crash-coursing" in the playoffs or him getting learning experiences this close to the playoffs, but the reality is much more simple than that. Harbaugh is clearly convinced that Kaep gives them a better chance in those games that matter. It's really that simple. It is of course a matter of opinion and everyone has the right to disagree, but I think he made a balsy move away from the "safe" choice that he likely thinks leads him back where the season ended last year.

The way the Niners were constituted doesn't lend itself to long term success. The margin of error was just SOOOOOO small that it wasn't something that can be counted on. They needed a more dynamic offense that can score from anywhere at anytime. THAT is what Kaep gives them. Alex is a perfectly fine QB and he's gonna play hard and do his job, but when they play the big boys in January, I'm convinced that Harbaugh realized that the D and special teams wasn't enough to get it done.

Is it possible that Kaep will lose a game in the playoffs? Of course! Can he make the mistake that kills their season? YES!?! Is he better off with a QB that won't lose the the game but won't win it for you either? THAT is the debate. Win or Lose, I applaud Harbaugh for having the balls to make the BOLD choice and "go for it".

I don't think that makes much sense. A run play is a run play. Not much CK can do to single-handedly change the outcome once the play is happening. For pass plays, sure he can run around better and get to the sideline quicker. He's great at rolling left. Teams, however, have already studied his "spin out" move to roll left though, and he got caught against Seattle trying it and got dropped for a huge sack. Another learning experience for him. So while he can do that better, I don't think that means he can make pre-snap adjustments any better. CK is really struggling with play action right now. His fakes are not even fakes, he's not selling them at all. I think it's a wash when you add in the positives and negatives for both players in these areas.

I look at it this way: High risk - high reward vs. Low risk - high reward. Logic tells you to take the second, "safer" choice as you say. It being "bold" means it's a big risk compared to the alternative. I for one am not convinced at all that Harbaugh is 100% confident in CK, no matter how much he may support him right now, but I don't think enough has happened to make him go back on his decision. I don't think CK has done any better at overcoming his own and his teammates mistakes to win games right now. Overall.. I am absolutely not thrilled with the idea of "HOPING" it works out.

I'm venting because I know that nothing will change, barring injury, or a catastrophic performance by CK Sunday (even then, maybe not). But I stand firm in my opinion on this. I acknowledge that those on the other side have their valid reasons for taking that stance, but ask that they see and acknowledge that there are plenty legitimate reasons for taking the opinion I have as well.

It's your opinion, so I applaud that you stick by it.

I of course stand by my own. Of course when I said that Kaep could make more of the play, I wasn't talking about run plays. With pass plays, it's not just his run ability. Its about the ability to make bigger throws and the WILLINGNESS to make those throws. THATS what I mean by making more of the plays.

IS CK going to make mistakes and is it possible that Alex would get them into a better play at the line? Of course. As I said to another poster above though, that's a LEARNED behavior. That is something CK will learn to do. Alex will never learn to throw that 60 MPH ball down the middle to Crabtree for a TD against the Pats. Won't ever happen.

THAT is why I want him in there. NOW.

I also disagree with your high risk-high reward, etc. issue. People have been quoting that all along. What's the big risk? He has 3 picks in 6 starts. Alex had 5 in 8 starts. Kaep had some issues with the snap, but that was MUCH better in Seattle. I keep hearing about this huge downside to Kaep, but I haven't seen it manifested. I did see Alex totally melt down tho against the Giants. I have seen him fearful of taking anything resembling a chance after getting picked off. I have seen the Niners go total turtle mode against Seattle after he threw the pick in the endzone.

Alex is TOO afraid to make the mistake. Kaep has a short memory. I like Alex, but I think Kaep is the guy we need in there. He won't be intimidated.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Was I the only one noticing Kaep literally yelling to the sidelines to get the play in with 10 seconds on the clock on more than one occasion?

People who are overly critical of Kap don't want to admit this. When Kap gets the playcall, tells the play in the huddle and then breaks the huddle with 8 seconds left on the clock, that is NOT on the quarterback. And with the amount of shifting we do, of course you are going to have delays and unnecessary timeouts.

Kap can DEFINITELY work on his clock management skills, but to place 100% of the blame on him for the penalties and timeouts is simply wrong. People forget this happened with Alex at times
too.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Was I the only one noticing Kaep literally yelling to the sidelines to get the play in with 10 seconds on the clock on more than one occasion?

People who are overly critical of Kap don't want to admit this. When Kap gets the playcall, tells the play in the huddle and then breaks the huddle with 8 seconds left on the clock, that is NOT on the quarterback. And with the amount of shifting we do, of course you are going to have delays and unnecessary timeouts.

Kap can DEFINITELY work on his clock management skills, but to place 100% of the blame on him for the penalties and timeouts is simply wrong. People forget this happened with Alex at times
too.

According to this, Kaep has two. Didn't we get two on Sunday? Is that right?

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/delay-of-game?year=2012
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

too.

what is being overly crticial of kaerpernick? some here seem to think any criticism of him is overly critical...
that being said the problems with clock management existed before his starting and i believe are mostly on the coaches
It's your opinion, so I applaud that you stick by it.

I of course stand by my own. Of course when I said that Kaep could make more of the play, I wasn't talking about run plays. With pass plays, it's not just his run ability. Its about the ability to make bigger throws and the WILLINGNESS to make those throws. THATS what I mean by making more of the plays.

IS CK going to make mistakes and is it possible that Alex would get them into a better play at the line? Of course. As I said to another poster above though, that's a LEARNED behavior. That is something CK will learn to do. Alex will never learn to throw that 60 MPH ball down the middle to Crabtree for a TD against the Pats. Won't ever happen.

THAT is why I want him in there. NOW.

I also disagree with your high risk-high reward, etc. issue. People have been quoting that all along. What's the big risk? He has 3 picks in 6 starts. Alex had 5 in 8 starts. Kaep had some issues with the snap, but that was MUCH better in Seattle. I keep hearing about this huge downside to Kaep, but I haven't seen it manifested. I did see Alex totally melt down tho against the Giants. I have seen him fearful of taking anything resembling a chance after getting picked off. I have seen the Niners go total turtle mode against Seattle after he threw the pick in the endzone.

Alex is TOO afraid to make the mistake. Kaep has a short memory. I like Alex, but I think Kaep is the guy we need in there. He won't be intimidated.
Yes, Alex Smith handles this better right now, but again, I don't think this is why they lost. This is just why it looked more ugly at times. Anyway, we can call this one a learning experience. These are the kinds of games that a young QB can really learn from. Remember...Russell Wilsons worst game as a pro came against the Niners in their first meeting. Through 6 games, Wilson had 5 TDs and 6 INTs. Since that game, he's been one of the best QBs in the NFL. This move to Kaep was made with January in mind. Their road may have gotten a bit harder, but this team always responds in a big way. This thing aint over by a longshot.

Perfect!

maybe we should bring in our 2nd team oline as well, that way everyone can learn together in the playoffs!

i can not believe that fans are okay with this, even validating it.
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
Yes, Alex Smith handles this better right now, but again, I don't think this is why they lost. This is just why it looked more ugly at times. Anyway, we can call this one a learning experience. These are the kinds of games that a young QB can really learn from. Remember...Russell Wilsons worst game as a pro came against the Niners in their first meeting. Through 6 games, Wilson had 5 TDs and 6 INTs. Since that game, he's been one of the best QBs in the NFL. This move to Kaep was made with January in mind. Their road may have gotten a bit harder, but this team always responds in a big way. This thing aint over by a longshot.

Perfect!

maybe we should bring in our 2nd team oline as well, that way everyone can learn together in the playoffs!

Yeah, because THATs what I said. SMDH.

This isn't about prepping the "second string". This is about prepping the potentially BETTER player who just might be able to beat teams Alex can't.

I can't believe there are fans incapable of understanding that, even lamely mocking it.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM ]
Marv...excellent analysis. The NE game really sapped the defense...92 snaps is ridiculous. Add to that the long travel to/from the East Coast. They were ripe for getting hammered. Justin Smith is the stud who makes the D go...without him, we're an average DL. Agree, they need to draft his eventual successor in April. No reason Baalke can't do that, with 14 total picks. Plenty of opportunity to trade up to get a few studs that can make the team and contribute. Getting back to the butt-kicking, it appears Roman didn't have a b/u plan...that is, call some plays that can slow down the rush. Screens, delays to Gore, even QB draws. Quick passes to TE's, RB's, etc. Understand it's the most difficult place to play in the league...but, you have to be resourceful to counteract that kind of aggressiveness. Kaepernick showed his inexperience...I do think Alex could've done better, but not likely enough to win. Too many things stacked against us. All they can do now is beat 'Zona and hope the Vikes can take care of the Pack. The NFL did the Niners no favors with the schedule...going to NE then Seattle is tough for any team to survive. But, it is what it is and the team will have to regroup and win the NFC West.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I agree Marvin on Kaep, as long as he learns from his errors, experience can only help him. To me he seems a fast learner. The one thing I noticed yesterday was his hesitance on scrambling and he slid very quickly many a time. That is normal for a QB, but it has not been normal for Kaep until yesterday.

The defense, last year they stopped the run almost every game, they stopped it cold. This year no--teams run good enough on the Niners that the D has to play both the run and the pass honest--so the pass rush is a tad less this season. I am not sure if it is Parys Harralson missing the season--was he the difference or is it the D line not being as good this season? Aldon still learning?

The Niners have to stop the silly costly after the play is over personal fouls--Brocks 15 yards giving seattle the ball at the 35--just dumb, the Niners had to take the crowd out of the game, not feed the crowds intensity.

Seattle had a very good offensive game plan, they seemed to be able to get an open receiver--be it a WR, TE , RB, FB much better than the Niners were able to get open receivers. The Seattle short passing game was much better than the Niners. If I was Roman I would try to add in some of what Seattle does to the Niners offense.

I am very disappointed that AJ Jenkins is not playing, we really could use a supposedly fast player with good hands, but maybe he just isn't that good? What we are seeing this season is a huge impact by the 2012 draft class in the NFL , but the Niners are one of the exceptions, if Jenkins has the talent he really should have been in the mix.

The Niners not getting the play off on time---this has been the case since 2005--it is very frustrating. Last year it seemed to have been fixed, now it is back again.

Akers---I am not sure if the block was because it was a low kick or Akers just has no luck this season. Anyways we needed to score the TD, like above--Seattle seems to have great play calls on converting third downs or redzone--the Niners --this is a big trouble spot.

I think the Vikings will beat the Packers and the Niners still get the bye--crossing my fingers.

i wonder what lesson he learns next week?

or even, what lesson he learns in his 8th career start?

Perfect!

This isn't about prepping the "second string". This is about prepping the potentially BETTER player who just might be able to beat teams Alex can't.

I can't believe there are fans incapable of understanding that, even lamely mocking it.

Like the Packers, or the Giants last season? This is what I don't get. The team with Alex at QB was literally a few crazy fumbles and a non-called fumble away from going to the Superbowl last season. They beat GB convincingly, they beat Seattle etc. this season. This idea that the team with Alex was somehow limited is ridiculous. IT is even more ridiculous to say that the Offense with Kap as the QB has become better. It hasn't really at all. It has just become different.

This team with Alex was every bit as capable, if not moreso than a team with a young inexperienced QB of winning the superbowl. This move was made so that Kaep could be the QB moving forward, after his best game vs. Chicago. He has not been as good as that game since then, and it has weakened this team in some ways. The simple fact is that this move either should have been made before the season, or after the season. It was horrendous and extremely risky timing to do it during the season.

I love Kaep's upside and hope that he produces and wins it all this year. I think he can be a much better QB than Smith in the future. I would absolutely love it if that development coalesces before the playoffs. I enjoy his tats as well . I don't like the apologetic approach here though.

Well I have to say that I too like Marv's analysis, just differ when it comes to the smith debate.

Yes for starters, Kaep is our starter and we have to ride or die with him and i support coach if that's who he wants behind center. Always will support the HC whether i believe his decision making is best or not. Some say that because he took a chance on Smith, that we have to give Kaep a chance. I think this is true, it just sucks that it had to come at the expense of this years season.

Kaep does have it, and the intangibles somewhat. I do believe he will be something, but honestly wont commit to either side, because im still on the fence with him. Speaking strictly in regards to him, i just hate the move because, IT DIDNT HAVE TO BE MADE, IMHO.

I live somewhat by the adage that if it aint broke dont fix it. And thats what happened with us. Smith was replaced, because of the potential that kaep has in all phases of the game. So it came down to, do u go with the guy that has shown he can get it done, and was a few fumbles away from the SB, or go with an unproven guy that has tremendous upside, with the willingness to be able to say that working through the ups downs, wins and losses, will prepare him for the playoffs.

With Seattle, even u Marv, fell into the whole of trying to convey what Smith wouldnt of been able to do in that enviornment, when in all actuality, there is almost one thing he would of done, and i honestly feel, beat Seattle. Under harbs with Smith at center he's helped lead them to 3-0 vs Seattle. in the past 2 seasons, correct. One win in Seattle, and I think 2 at home. And thats actual proof not conjecture.

We equally are "hoping that Kaep can learn on the job, hoping that he'll redeem himself this week, better prepared for it down the road hopefully. But you see the key word there... Hoping and hopefully. Regardless of what we think we may have gotten in Smith, the point is we got 6-2 with him at the helm, before the new move was made, and now dealing with the idea of hope in a situation, where we shouldnt have to be, this late in the season.

Heath Evens on NFL network hates the move and has all season. But it was funny last night, when he said yeah, whats gonna happen when we dont make it far with kaep. The vets that want and have to win now because their future is uncertain, will now have almost wasted a season, becasue of what coach thought was the best decision. And as i said, even coach is human and can run the race with the hare, but we all know the tortoise wins in the end.

Harbs pulled a hare move, and i just feel that it may hurt us. But to let that deter my love for my team, or alter me following them, hell no. If i can make it through Rattay and Rashaun times, i can def stick with them through anything.

Go Niners!
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Like the Packers, or the Giants last season? This is what I don't get. The team with Alex at QB was literally a few crazy fumbles and a non-called fumble away from going to the Superbowl last season. They beat GB convincingly, they beat Seattle etc. this season. This idea that the team with Alex was somehow limited is ridiculous. IT is even more ridiculous to say that the Offense with Kap as the QB has become better. It hasn't really at all. It has just become different.

This team with Alex was every bit as capable, if not moreso than a team with a young inexperienced QB of winning the superbowl. This move was made so that Kaep could be the QB moving forward, after his best game vs. Chicago. He has not been as good as that game since then, and it has weakened this team in some ways. The simple fact is that this move either should have been made before the season, or after the season. It was horrendous and extremely risky timing to do it during the season.

I love Kaep's upside and hope that he produces and wins it all this year. I think he can be a much better QB than Smith in the future. I would absolutely love it if that development coalesces before the playoffs. I enjoy his tats as well . I don't like the apologetic approach here though.

+This. And all of it.

Perfect!

Perfect!

This ain't last year. Peeps think of the Saints game and act as if that was a normal Alex Smith performance. We were 2 crazy fumbles away? I would submit we were 5 consecutive drives needing a meager 3 points away from the Super Bowl. The Williams fumble ended the game, but he should never have had to be back there in overtime taking back his 11th punt on a cold, rainy Candlestick night.

The Niners almost made it last year. Almost. That is no guarantee that will be the story every year. The margin for error was nearly nonexistent last year. The goal is to make this a team more capable of winning in January. You don't see how they are better? I guess that's fair. I don't see how Alex would have won in New England. I think he may have beaten the Rams though. He would have been crushed in Seattle (he doesn't play defense). Obviously, these are all my opinion.

Is the choice a slam dunk for Kaep? No. It has never been that. It was always a risky move. I like it though. Some peeps keep saying it should have been made in the offseason. I understand what you are saying, but I think Harbaugh thinks that if Kaep is the better player, he'd prefer not to wait till next year to get him in there when he doesn't think Alex will get them there. I really think that meltdown to the Giants convinced him they weren't ready. You don't like the notion that Alex is limited? Sorry you don't like it, but it's true. I've supported Alex on these forums for YEARS. Just read some of the early season versions of this post. I always knew tho that there were limitations.

I'm obviously riding with Harbaugh on this one.

Finally, the "apologetic approach". Look, I'll hold Kaep responsible for the stuff he's responsible for...just as I did with Alex Smith. I will also point out when he does GOOD things that Alex is incapable of. Bottom line tho, it didn't matter who was playing QB in this game because the D and special teams gave up 42 freakin points. Do you really think its reasonable to hold Kaep responsible in that situation...in that building...against that team. If so, you are grossly overestimating the roll of the QB.
BTW with this loss, i read where some say I have to have the same mindframe as i would of with Alex.

And if this is so, then lets give Kaep the harsh reality that we have when Smith was under center. Just like if a person asks what kind of ice cream flavors u like and u say well it depends on where u go. But thats not answering the main question. What flavor do u like, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc.

in this case i use that example becasue the D let them score 42 points, but lets stop using that as the excuse for Kaeps lack of production. He failed to make something out of nothing period. I mean was Wilson just sitting in the pocket all day picking us off, no. He outplayed us, just like Kaep should of been able to do against their D.

It just came to me now, but I think the reason they went soo much with the pass this last week, because Kaep for starters has the arm. And if they are gonna run the same version of the O that they ran with Smith, then there is no need to put Kaep in. Problem is, when things broke down for kaep he couldnt make things happen. That smart decision making wasnt a factor. That rolling out and getting the 50yd run a game wasnt a factor. I mean s**t, if anything i would of like to had seen Kaep running and making things happen with his feet just as did Wilson.

So overall, please make sure u hear what im saying with no hidden meanings. Yes Kaep doesnt play defense, yes the playcalling was bad at times, and yes he didnt get much help. But now focusing on the offensive aspect, Kaep did nothing to help his team win. When he did get the ball back, and a good call was called, he either audibled out, or we stalled. just that simple.

And im focusing just on this game. not next weeks, not the new england game. Just this one. This was a true test of enviornment and playoff atmosphere. Actually more than New England, because their stadium is no where near the same as Chicken stadium. He failed to do anything until garbage time. Does this mean it will happen in next weeks game, nope. Does it mean he stinks, nope. or even mean he's not the QB of the future, nope.

But everytime someone says about what he didnt do. Can we stop with the Smith wouldnt of done that either, or he didnt score 42 points. Thats just a way of trying to find another out, rather than just taking ownership as we say for the aspect of the game, Kaep didnt help in. thats all tho. nutin personal
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 26, 2012 at 9:32 AM ]
Deflecting the criticism of Kaep to Smith. Kool. What's new on the Zone...
Share 49ersWebzone