LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Is the 49ers offensive playcalling too predictable?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just pulled this from another thread

The offense looked like they telegraphed the plays. Seattle's defense were in the right formations all night.

Similar comments were made after both Rams games, the Dolphins game and other games this season. Are other teams simply getting a jump on this offense and predicting where the plays are going? Not to re-hash the Alex vs Kaepernick debate, but was Alex able to counteract the poor playcalling by changing calls at the line of scrimmage? It seems other teams find ways to put defenses out of position and catch them off guard while this offense repeatedly ends up taking plays exactly where the defense is predicting they'll go.
The offense didn't seem to have a problem moving the chains, the redzone is where we could use some work. I would like to have seen more running plays, but i TRUST our coaches and their decisions.
If the opposing defense is calling out the play before the 49ers run it or are otherwise prepared for any play we run, I would have to say yes, we are predictable. I wouldn't have said that last season, but at least a good portion of the NFL this season has read the book on these 49ers and the 49ers have yet to adjust.
Not entirely.
The more I watched it, it seemed like our Red Zone offense was VERY predictable.
Where are the crossing routes, the delayed traps, the screens, and Play Action! You need to run in this offense to set up the pass! We didn't run last night! And if some of our receivers a doubled and tripled, where are the other receivers? Oh and where is our first round(wasted pick to this point) Jenkins if we need more receivers?
The Redzone O is missing rub routes and PA just to mention a few things
  • 49er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Where are the crossing routes, the delayed traps, the screens, and Play Action! You need to run in this offense to set up the pass! We didn't run last night! And if some of our receivers a doubled and tripled, where are the other receivers? Oh and where is our first round(wasted pick to this point) Jenkins if we need more receivers?

Been wondering this for the past 4 weeks.
The whole pistol offense sucks. Not an NFL offense we are running a gimmick offense Gore is the cog that make it go that means I formation with fullback leading and Walker coming across providing wham blocks. This brings men into the box to open up play action. 3 backs in the back field just means to many 1 and 2 receiver routes. This new offense is lame and sucks most of all in the red zone. Why did we have to change the entire offense with 5 games remaining. Good question.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
The whole pistol offense sucks. Not an NFL offense we are running a gimmick offense Gore is the cog that make it go that means I formation with fullback leading and Walker coming across providing wham blocks. This brings men into the box to open up play action. 3 backs in the back field just means to many 1 and 2 receiver routes. This new offense is lame and sucks most of all in the red zone. Why did we have to change the entire offense with 5 games remaining. Good question.

We started out this season with a phenomenal 8 TDs in only 17 red zone pass attempts, but for some reason a change was made and since then we have 4 TDs in 28 pass attempts.
Share 49ersWebzone