There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thoughts after the Game

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Only chance a 3rd meeting happens is in the NFC Championship Game. And I'm not ready to put the cart before that horse, and I don't think the Seahawks will either.

Serious question: How do you know that if seeding isnt even worked out? I thought I had a handle on the playoff scenarios, but it seems you know more than I
Originally posted by GNielsen:
My biggest problem with this particular Niners team is Roman's play calling and the passing game. I think the fact that Roman is centered on the running game and other coaches craft the passing plays is a problem. And, I've never heard of such a set-up before. I'd just like to see more imagination with the passing game. They've got a QB who can make literally any throw they want to invent. When you look at the Seahawks passing game, you see all sorts of interesting and confusing picks for example, which are designed to take Bowman and/or Willis out of quick coverage on a flat receiver. I never see that with the Niners.

Yesterday, the 9ers went away from their bread and butter ground attack. I know Kaep has a good arm but this team isn't built to sling it around like the Patriots.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Yesterday, the 9ers went away from their bread and butter ground attack. I know Kaep has a good arm but this team isn't built to sling it around like the Patriots.

Well, I agree with that, but I would still like to see a more imaginative passing attack. There is no reason you can't have both. Like I said, even the Seahawks use a variety of picks and deception in their passing game that I never see with the Niners.

Bottom line for me on this game: the Seahawks deserve credit. They are a very good team. They are much better than I thought they were. But, I still think the Niners, on any given Sunday can beat them.
A positive thought I came out of the game with (literally, I was there... ouch!) was that kap must have worked hard taking snaps under center over the week. I was at the game, so it was hard to see, but I believe he was perfect in this regard yesterday in similar conditions.
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Well, I agree with that, but I would still like to see a more imaginative passing attack. There is no reason you can't have both. Like I said, even the Seahawks use a variety of picks and deception in their passing game that I never see with the Niners.

Bottom line for me on this game: the Seahawks deserve credit. They are a very good team. They are much better than I thought they were. But, I still think the Niners, on any given Sunday can beat them.

I agree. The intensity of the Seahawks just wasn't matched from the 49ers. The microcosm of the entire game was the hit on Vernon Davis; that is usually the 49ers. Easier said than done, but this team simply needs to play harder....the players got beat up physically not just by a dancing Russell Wilson.

On the coaching side of things, plays weren't coming to the huddle fast enough as CK was seen on TV waving frantically at the sidelines to get the calls in. Perhaps they didn't anticipate the noise drowning out the in helmet mic.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by goldrush49:
1 if we really had a good defense, one man shouldnt have been as big an impact
2...not if we dont start playing offense to compliment our defense
3 plays like this are happening on ST too much...every week
4 where is the depth? all starters play all game, we went zone in NE because we were tired, we still are tired
5 whats with the problem with starting talented #1 draft picks? like other teams! no ROY on this team ever!
6 running game is in trouble! seattle schooled us, and it kills me to say that!
7 we will see him twice a year for a long time, maybe even next time we meet!
8 yes they did! the first series set the mode and we were done the whole game
justin is not just another injury, plus we have a back up who is not even respectable. at least when willis went down last year, grant was more than respectable. our depth on the defensive line and linebacker has been razor thin all year and the coaches are either unable or unwilling to do anything about it

Kind of makes you think why our players are always free making plays. Probably because Justin requires double and triple teams, freeing up guys to roam around.

Now its just one on one and we are getting blocked out of plays.
Did you forget the Seahawks also have P.E.D's
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Only chance a 3rd meeting happens is in the NFC Championship Game. And I'm not ready to put the cart before that horse, and I don't think the Seahawks will either.

Serious question: How do you know that if seeding isnt even worked out? I thought I had a handle on the playoff scenarios, but it seems you know more than I

Noting that the highest seed plays the lowest seed in the each round of the playoffs, and the 1st and 2nd seed get a bye week, If we win and the Packers lose and we end up with the 2nd seed and Seattle has the 5th seed, we can still end up playing the Seahawks in the divisional round say if the 6th seed beats the 3rd seed in wild card round, leaving the 49ers to play the highest seed from the Wildcard round which would be the 5th seeded Seahawks.
Other points:

Kap getting the plays in late from Roman/Harbaugh

Kap changing the play at the line with little time left on the play clock... a big no-no in the loudest stadium

The Pistol on 3rd and goal is getting really old

Gore with only 6 carries
It was just a matter of time with Justin. He ALWAYS occupies 2 blockers and as much as I like RJF - he didn't get it done. I've been saying for 2 years we DEED much better Dline rotation.

VERY good point on all our D starters being on the field for every play. e were exhausted after the NE game and it showed. No excuses - we were beaten fair & square.

Their 12th man is a reality.

EPIC failure in the red zone.

Wilson is the real deal and will only improve.

More to come.
Niners are in big trouble. Inconsistent offense and a suspect defense (without J. Smith) = first round exit.
Random thoughts :
- put lamichael james on kickoffs the rest if the way, this guy is going to be a stud
- put lamichael james on punt returns too, probably next season
- draft a DL in the first round, with the cowboy we were starting to get pushed around, without him we're not the same : 6 qtrs 72 points given
- i have the bad feeling that more and more teams can scheme around NaVorro and willis. They are less than a factor with the weeks going by
- whitner cannot single cover anybody, he was badly beaten on one of the TD and a crucial third down, opponents OC have found out and exploit this clearly
- the seahawks were the dominant physical team and it starts to get under the skin of our defense, they were overreacting, didnt control their emotions enough and once again flagged for PF because of it
- roman can design some great plays but his play calling is dubious half the time...
- ... what the heck with throwing for 5 yds when we need 10 on third downs ?
- kaep missed some throws short medium and long. The rain ? The noise ? 52% is simply not enough
- the coverage on kickoffs and the blocked FG reflects a ST not so special this year. Costanzo was that good ? Brad has lost it ? maybe the fact the leg of akers isn't so strong anymore (less touchbacks, efficiency down)
- maybe i'm biased but in the first half i saw three offensive holding not called against the seahawks
- overall we were outcoached
- this is a bad sign, i don't jump on the comparaison with past great niner teams (eg eagles game in 1994)...
- ... on the other side it's a new season with the playoffs and everything can happen
All of that make me think our window of opprtunity for the SB wasn't this year but last year and we need justin back... Fast !
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Now that Marvin's is out, can we lock this thread?

Agreed.
My biggest problem with this particular Niners team is Roman's play calling and the passing game. I think the fact that Roman is centered on the running game and other coaches craft the passing plays is a problem. And, I've never heard of such a set-up before. I'd just like to see more imagination with the passing game. They've got a QB who can make literally any throw they want to invent. When you look at the Seahawks passing game, you see all sorts of interesting and confusing picks for example, which are designed to take Bowman and/or Willis out of quick coverage on a flat receiver. I never see that with the Niners.

It's quite obvious that Roman needs to go. All of his brain power is used designing complex run blocking schemes. When the Niners NEED to pass in catch up mode we fall flat on our faces.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM ]