There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB Attribute and Intangible Chart to Measure Current and Potential QB Ratings

• AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Colin K.........................................................................Current...............................Potential

Length (x2)................................................................9 x 2 = 18/20.......................9 x 2 = 18/20
Durability (x6)............................................................7 x 6 = 42/60.......................10 x 6 = 60/60
Speed (x3)................................................................10 x 3 = 30/30......................10 x 3 = 30/30
Agility (x4).................................................................6 x 4 = 24/40.......................8 x 4 = 32/40
Arm Strength (x7)......................................................10 x 7 = 70/70......................10 x 7 = 70/70
Accuracy (short-medium) (x10)....................................7 x 10= 70/100....................10 x 10 = 100/100
Accuracy (deep) (x7)..................................................6 x 7 = 42/70.......................10 x 7 = 70/70
Touch (x3).................................................................5 x 3 = 15/30.......................10 x 3 = 30/30
Vision (x7).................................................................7 x 7 = 49/70.......................10 x 7 = 70/70
Pocket Presence (x6).................................................6 x 6 = 36/60.......................9 x 6 = 54/60
Release Time (x8)......................................................8 x 8 = 64/80.......................9 x 8 = 72/80
Ball Security (x4).......................................................3 x 4 = 12/40.......................8 x 4 = 32/40
Playmaking Ability (x9)...............................................7 x 9 = 63/90......................10 x 9 = 90/90
Decision Making/Intelligence/Football IQ (x10)..............8 x 10 = 80/100...................10 x 10 = 100/100
Leadership/charisma/attitude (x9)................................8 x 9 = 72/90......................10 x 9 = 90/90
Clutchness (x10)........................................................6 x 10 = 60/100...................10 x 10 = 100/100
Work Ethic (x7)..........................................................8 x 7 = 56/70..................... 10 x 7 = 70/70

Totals........................................................................803/1120 = 72%..................1088/1120 = 97%

This is the first iteration. The numbers will probably have to be adjusted and the multipliers will have to be generally agreed upon. It's really hard to project a QB's potential as well as their current level, but as Colin K grows and we get to know him more, the numbers will surely change. (scores in bold)
[ Edited by AmpLee on Dec 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
We have some differences, but glad to see my input got into your chart. A couple of areas where we see things differently:

Ball Security - do you consider this INT as well? If so, it needs to be x10, as it is the most important factor in determining winning. When it comes to Pocket Presence versus Agility, I would recommend that they be combined, or the weighting needs to be reduced. I also think that Work Ethic should be x10. Is there a single elite QB that doesn't have a phenomenal work ethic? Maybe Brett Favre? I am not sure how hard he worked.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fryet:
We have some differences, but glad to see my input got into your chart. A couple of areas where we see things differently:

Ball Security - do you consider this INT as well? If so, it needs to be x10, as it is the most important factor in determining winning. When it comes to Pocket Presence versus Agility, I would recommend that they be combined, or the weighting needs to be reduced. I also think that Work Ethic should be x10. Is there a single elite QB that doesn't have a phenomenal work ethic? Maybe Brett Favre? I am not sure how hard he worked.

Good points. I ammended the original post to explain why I didn't think INTs should be counted under ball security. I believe INTs to be a result from poor decision making and accuracy, so having a category to measure INTs would be redundant, IMO. As far as pocket presence and agility go, I think they are tied together, yet separate entities. I feel pocket presence is the ability to understand your surroundings and to feel pressure while agility is the quickness in which you move. You may be right in lowering the weight on each as to not undervalue other, more important stats. Thanks again for your input.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone think versatility should be added? I know it's kind of covered, but I feel there should be some weight to a coach being able to call a gameplan for a guy that can do anything (bootleg, throw on the move, throw deep, run, wildcat,etc) VS a guy that is purely a pocket passer.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Anyone think versatility should be added? I know it's kind of covered, but I feel there should be some weight to a coach being able to call a gameplan for a guy that can do anything (bootleg, throw on the move, throw deep, run, wildcat,etc) VS a guy that is purely a pocket passer.

I think it is covered in the other items. If you run fast, then you can run the wild cat/bootleg. If you have a strong arm, you can throw on the move. The only variable is accuracy.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by AmpLee:

I think it is covered in the other items. If you run fast, then you can run the wild cat/bootleg. If you have a strong arm, you can throw on the move. The only variable is accuracy.

That makes sense. In that way, speed may need to be weighted higher, while it may be a luxery, it really opens the the offensive possibilities up.
Does having a big hand mean you have a big pecker?
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
So, after tonight's performance, it's fair to say that Kaep's running ability is legendary. While elusiveness (quickness) in the pocket is a big plus, speed to break plays wide open is proving to be a huge advantage, one that has never really existed on a complete QB.

With his precision, long ball ability, and decision making this early in his career pertaining to the passing game, I think it's fair to say that Kaep has shown some of the highest potential to ever grace the position of QB in the field of football. Tonight's game, I think, is evidence of that.

What is most exciting, is that he is showing signs that he can reach that full potential. So excited for the kid and our future.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home