LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

NFC West Champs! 2nd seed!! (End of Reg Season)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Find me an every down back on the 49ers roster and I'll agree with what Steve Young says.
What about that Frank Gore guy??? He's pretty good on 3rd down, and not bad on 1st and 2nd down as well.

Sure, perhaps at the beginning of the game. But anyone who pays close attention to Gore, knows he wears down as the game goes on. He runs extremely hard, but you can clearly see him calling to be subbed after a hard run. What happens when he does that? They put in LMJ or Dixon. Do defenses fear LMJ or Dixon out the backfield? No.

Anyone who thinks Gore is an every down back at this point is in denial. The fact is, 49ers can no longer rely on a ground and pound run scheme since we lost Hunter. I don't understand why no one can see this. It's clearly obvious.

So how do they make for it? They use the pistol/Q. Because the formation still allows versatile run/pass scheme that keeps a defense honest. Is it perfect? No. But has it worked against top tier teams. Yes.

Coaches are working with what they have, and all those complaining that "we should go back to what we did before" is completely ignoring the fact that 49ers do not have the same RBs that were the catalysts for those formations.

Ted Robinson said it best "People have no idea how crucial it was to lose Kendall Hunter."
Get real the Pistol is a gimmick college offense. It and all the others before it will not work in the nfl. We switched to a gimmick because Jim and company must believe boy wonder can not run the base offense if not how else do you explain the change after Chicago. Oh and this team will win or lose based on Frank Gore and not the QB's we are not built to p***y foot around in this gimmick called the pistol
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Find me an every down back on the 49ers roster and I'll agree with what Steve Young says.
What about that Frank Gore guy??? He's pretty good on 3rd down, and not bad on 1st and 2nd down as well.

Sure, perhaps at the beginning of the game. But anyone who pays close attention to Gore, knows he wears down as the game goes on. He runs extremely hard, but you can clearly see him calling to be subbed after a hard run. What happens when he does that? They put in LMJ or Dixon. Do defenses fear LMJ or Dixon out the backfield? No.

Anyone who thinks Gore is an every down back at this point is in denial. The fact is, 49ers can no longer rely on a ground and pound run scheme since we lost Hunter. I don't understand why no one can see this. It's clearly obvious.

So how do they make for it? They use the pistol/Q. Because the formation still allows versatile run/pass scheme that keeps a defense honest. Is it perfect? No. But has it worked against top tier teams. Yes.

Coaches are working with what they have, and all those complaining that "we should go back to what we did before" is completely ignoring the fact that 49ers do not have the same RBs that were the catalysts for those formations.

Ted Robinson said it best "People have no idea how crucial it was to lose Kendall Hunter."
Get real the Pistol is a gimmick college offense. It and all the others before it will not work in the nfl. We switched to a gimmick because Jim and company must believe boy wonder can not run the base offense if not how else do you explain the change after Chicago. Oh and this team will win or lose based on Frank Gore and not the QB's we are not built to p***y foot around in this gimmick called the pistol

We ran the traditional offense vs the Bears with Gore and Hunter, and it was basically unstoppable. Then a week after we lost Hunter in the Saints game. That's when the offense started to change.

I respect your opinion about the pistol, however you'll have to accept it.

We ran the traditional offense vs the Bears with Gore and Hunter, and it was basically unstoppable. Then a week after we lost Hunter in the Saints game. That's when the offense started to change.

So that means Roman switched to the pistol for LMJ, not for Kaepernick!

If that's true, then its time to switch back.

LMJ can run the traditional offense, he's shown some toughness and he's approximately the same size as Hunter.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
side note:

How could our entire offensive line made the probowl roster, either as an alternate or the actual roster, cannot pass protect?
great question,,, the world may never know. they have not pass protected worth a damn for two years. if they do not address this s**t in the off season,, well i just do not know. some people act like the s**tty pass protection just showed up when the qb change was made

So that means Roman switched to the pistol for LMJ, not for Kaepernick!

If that's true, then its time to switch back.

LMJ can run the traditional offense, he's shown some toughness and he's approximately the same size as Hunter.

I think a little bit of both.

CK and LMJ both thrived in this formation, and because LMJ is forced into action, it makes sense to place him in position to maximize his skills and (in a sense) shorten his learning curve.

Now whether or not LMJ can thrive in the traditional run scheme remains to be seen. Hunter needed a whole year to learn how to read his blocks and make the right cuts, he was finally thriving this year and it showed up big time.

I'm not sure if LMJ can adapt as fast. Perhaps this is something that's happening behind the scenes, we'll see.
We will win this game by 20+ and everyone's homer tank will be full again.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Homer tank.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

we better, anything less is unacceptable
With the news of Justin Smith's injury, I think Harbaugh and Fangio need to try moving RJF inside and Sopoaga outside. We've seen RJF play well inside in the past and Sop has played end before (when Franklin was here). Sop could probably free up Aldon on the edge a little better than RJF and that wouldn't mess up any chemistry that RayMac and Brooks have on the opposite end. This would be the game to give it a trial run since we don't know how long cowboy is out.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
With the news of Justin Smith's injury, I think Harbaugh and Fangio need to try moving RJF inside and Sopoaga outside. We've seen RJF play well inside in the past and Sop has played end before (when Franklin was here). Sop could probably free up Aldon on the edge a little better than RJF and that wouldn't mess up any chemistry that RayMac and Brooks have on the opposite end. This would be the game to give it a trial run since we don't know how long cowboy is out.
Good idea. That's the kind of creativity I'm hoping to see on the defense.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
go niners
[ Edited by susweel on Dec 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM ]

This, RJF should be switched to nose with Williams backing him up. Most of the big runs with Seattle were right at him. Ray Mac and Soap are better at the ends.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Minnesota will be playing for their playoff lives this weekend. Me thinks we will see the upset over GB. The 49ers need to take care of business against AZ who will also be playing tough. I remember all the years of futility with us, but we at least played our last game strong every year.

i was sayin this against seattle too. RJF was a beast when franklin left. they need him in the middle
  • Silky
  • Veteran
honk if you're horny
Share 49ersWebzone