LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Can Kaepernick be a 1,000 yard rusher next year with 10 TD's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can Kaepernick be a 1,000 yard rusher next year with 10 TD's?

no he won't
Originally posted by dchrie:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Caught up in too many of the posts is this concept that it's "bad if Kaep does that." That "he will get hurt." "We don't want to do this."

The question is not really whether or not you think it's bad or good or something we should strive for.

I simply asked do you think he can or will? And I described based on how many games he has played so far and looking at the averages projected out for a full season.

I think everyone agrees it's a no brainer that he can, will he? never know, but hope not unless he does w/o injury

I definitely think he can and he may. I'm not sure if it's best for him or his health. But that's besides the point if whether or not he can or will do it.
If he/Harbaugh wanted him to, he could go for 1500 on the ground and 20 tds
I don't care, I want more superbowl wins.
Before you think it's unrealistic consider that Kaep has only played a few games this season. He didn't even start the first 9 games. He did play a lot in the 9th game though. So it's roughly 8 games vs. 8 games by the end of the season Alex / Kaep (Kaep played a lot in game #9 after the Alex concussion).

After 5 total games and partial of a 6th (a lot of time in the Rams game where Alex got the concussion) and with 2 games left to play these are the stats.

49ers Rushing

1) Frank Gore.....232 attempts.....1118 yards.....7 TD's.....4.82 average.

2) Colin Kaepernick.....53 attempts.....379 yards.....5 TD's.....7.15 average.

3) Kendall Hunter.....72 attempts......371 yards......2 TD's......5.15 average.

4) Alex Smith.....29 attempts.....134 yards.....0 TD's.....4.62 average.

5) Anthony Dixon.....16 attempts.....64 yards.....2 TD's.....4.00 average.

5 total games and a partial of a 6th......

yes--if the niners move him to tailback in the offseason
Originally posted by hofer36:
Before you think it's unrealistic consider that Kaep has only played a few games this season. He didn't even start the first 9 games. He did play a lot in the 9th game though. So it's roughly 8 games vs. 8 games by the end of the season Alex / Kaep (Kaep played a lot in game #9 after the Alex concussion).

After 5 total games and partial of a 6th (a lot of time in the Rams game where Alex got the concussion) and with 2 games left to play these are the stats.

49ers Rushing

1) Frank Gore.....232 attempts.....1118 yards.....7 TD's.....4.82 average.

2) Colin Kaepernick.....53 attempts.....379 yards.....5 TD's.....7.15 average.

3) Kendall Hunter.....72 attempts......371 yards......2 TD's......5.15 average.

4) Alex Smith.....29 attempts.....134 yards.....0 TD's.....4.62 average.

5) Anthony Dixon.....16 attempts.....64 yards.....2 TD's.....4.00 average.

5 total games and a partial of a 6th......

yes--if the niners move him to tailback in the offseason

No. He can do this playing where he is. He did this in 6 games. That's all. Project it times 16. He would be on pace for over 1,000 and maybe around 12 TD's rushing.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
It's funny this topic came up, because they were talking something about this on NFL Am this morning.

It's funny because both hosts feel that 1. Kaep, and 2. Wilson, will both have sophmore slumps next year, because they feel that with Kaep there's still not much tape, but that next year teams will def plan better for him, and they doubt he'll be breaking too many 50-70 yard runs.

I too have to agree that with the arm he has that he should pass maybe 75% of the time and run maybe 25%. Durability is a concern and a few big hits, and that will change a whole lot.

So i'd have to say no on the 1000yd rushing premise.

I would rather see 98% pass, 2% run.
NO! You wouldn't want your starting QB to do a lot of running because eventually he will get hurt and then your team is SOL.

That's why you see a lot of teams take an existing running QB and try to convert them into a pocket passer. You only want your QB to avoid on coming rushers for the most part and once in a while to get you that important first down.

A running QB is a CONCUSSION waiting to happen.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i do not want a bobby douglas as my quarterback thank you.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
i rather him throw for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs

I agree, running Qb's do not survive in the NFL , let alone win a SB .But Kap doe seem to want to pass the ball first,n which he should with his cannon for an arm .

Unless your name is Steve Young who indeed did win a superbowl and managed his way into the Hall of Fame who did it on our team for a decade.

Yes he CAN, but I hope he doesn't.

I'd much rather see him throwin the ball than running. Running QBs get mutilated in this league.
One season he will have 3,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards in the same season and it will be historic
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
i rather him throw for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs

I agree, running Qb's do not survive in the NFL , let alone win a SB .But Kap doe seem to want to pass the ball first,n which he should with his cannon for an arm .

Unless your name is Steve Young who indeed did win a superbowl and managed his way into the Hall of Fame who did it on our team for a decade.

Steve was a scrambler, but they had very few DESIGNED runs.

He also got really good when he STOPPED running. As far as I can remember, he is the ONLY "mobile" QB who has EVER won a SB, and again....he did so after learning to stop running so much.

Also...he retired from getting too many concussions...a remnant of his running past.
Originally posted by BayArea:

Yes and guess what forced him into retirement? IMO, he had a few more years in him had he not suffered these concussions and would have possibly won a couple more Superbowls.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM ]
If he does it quite possible shorten his career.

He is an incredible athlete and we need his passing performance to keep improving.

Vick's running has ruined his career. WAYYYYYYYYYY many hits has taken their toll.

We need Kap for a VERY long time and gaining 1000 yards is totally meaningless in the big picture.

Justin Smith said something like - "Stats are for losers." I don't entirely agree BUT that's a stat that I'd rather not see.

I'd like to see a 100% Red Zone completion stat.
Share 49ersWebzone