LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Can Kaepernick be a 1,000 yard rusher next year with 10 TD's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can Kaepernick be a 1,000 yard rusher next year with 10 TD's?

Originally posted by vaden:
Of course, but running that much will almost certainly shorten his career and slow his development as a pocket passer.

Agreed luckily for us Kaepernick while good at running doesn't seem to like doing it much and would rather use his arm to move down the field. I only see him running the ball if he has no other choice and the defense gives him that option, or it is a designed play.
Originally posted by Disp:
Prefer he doesn't get 1000 yards rushing, unless we're talking the 50 yard runs where he gets out of bounds and isn't touched.

He does those. 50 yards and get hit by a small secondary player or go out of bounds. I'm not suggesting pounding him in the middle of the line. Outside runs. Get out of bounds. If you get hit it's a smaller secondary player.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I think he can do it. But the rushing and rushing TD's will be part of his game always I think. It's who he was before he got here. And I don't see Redskins fans complaining that RG3 is too athletic, runs too much and gets rushing TD's.

They should be complaining that he's already missed games due to his recklessness. He's lucky Ngata didn't blow his knee out.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Of course, but running that much will almost certainly shorten his career and slow his development as a pocket passer.

Agreed luckily for us Kaepernick while good at running doesn't seem to like doing it much and would rather use his arm to move down the field. I only see him running the ball if he has no other choice and the defense gives him that option, or it is a designed play.

That being said when he has no other choice he puts up big #'s rushing. Very long game changing runs sometimes.

I think he can do it. But the rushing and rushing TD's will be part of his game always I think. It's who he was before he got here. And I don't see Redskins fans complaining that RG3 is too athletic, runs too much and gets rushing TD's.

They should be complaining that he's already missed games due to his recklessness. He's lucky Ngata didn't blow his knee out.

RG3 seems to run in the middle too much and look for contact. Kaep strikes me as preferring the outside on the sideline like his long Rams game run. He either gets hit by a secondary player smaller than him or he can go out of bounds. Being 6'5" and 235 lbs. I would also suggest Kaep is more sturdy than RG3 who is smaller.
  • vaden
  • Veteran

Perhaps. But if you project him out this year for a full season. He would be north of 1,000 yards rushing and north of 10 TD's rushing also.

He has 40 carries for 268 yards and 3 TDs since replacing Alex. That's in 24.5 quarters. Counting that as 6 games, he averages out to 715 yards and 8 TDs over a full season.

Perhaps. But if you project him out this year for a full season. He would be north of 1,000 yards rushing and north of 10 TD's rushing also.

He has 40 carries for 268 yards and 3 TDs since replacing Alex. That's in 24.5 quarters. Counting that as 6 games, he averages out to 715 yards and 8 TDs over a full season.

He was used some in the early season when Alex was playing. It's difficult to say if the coaching staff calls some of those same plays with him as starter over a full season. That's up to them. But there was some read options where he put up some yards. He could do that next year too. It's unclear whether or not they will give up on those plays.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Why would you want a 1000 yard rusher in your QB? And didn't some of those yards come from spot duty in various games when alex was starting?

Definitely some of those #'s came in Tebow like packages when Alex was starting.

I don't know if I want a 1,000 yard rusher or not? But why can't he throw for 3,000 and rush for 1,000? That would project like he was at Nevada Wolfpack. That's really who he is / was. I don't know if it's good or bad? But he's clearly an athletic QB. I don't see Redskins fans complaing he has too many yards rushing or is too athletic....

If RGIII keeps running like he does he's not going to have a long career. Period. Same with Kap. Take advantage of open lanes when they present themselves but to get to 1000 yards a QB would have to have a lot of designed runs. This isn't college. Some NFL safeties hit harder than college LBs. Having a mobile athletic QB is an added bonus. Having a "running" QB is a recipe for a short career IMO.
  • vaden
  • Veteran

RG3 seems to run in the middle too much and look for contact. Kaep strikes me as preferring the outside on the sideline like his long Rams game run. He either gets hit by a secondary player smaller than him or he can go out of bounds. Being 6'5" and 235 lbs. I would also suggest Kaep is more sturdy than RG3 who is smaller.

Yes, thankfully Kaep is a lot more like Wilson in this regard. RG3 seems to have superhero delusions.

Yes, thankfully Kaep is a lot more like Wilson in this regard. RG3 seems to have superhero delusions.

RG3 runs where you find NT's and MLB's. Not sure why?...

Say 3,300 yards passing 25 TD's, 1,000 yards rushing and 10 TD's.

What's wrong with that?.....
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
i rather him throw for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs

this.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Why would you want a 1000 yard rusher in your QB? And didn't some of those yards come from spot duty in various games when alex was starting?

Definitely some of those #'s came in Tebow like packages when Alex was starting.

I don't know if I want a 1,000 yard rusher or not? But why can't he throw for 3,000 and rush for 1,000? That would project like he was at Nevada Wolfpack. That's really who he is / was. I don't know if it's good or bad? But he's clearly an athletic QB. I don't see Redskins fans complaing he has too many yards rushing or is too athletic....

Have you seen the hits RG3 has taken already. He hasn't jus got hit, he's got his bell rung. I don't want kaep gettin hit like that. Do you know why Steve Young retired(I think), it wasn't cause he got old. Half the yards & around 4000(or more) passing is a good year.
Could be but I would rather have Gore and Hunter go for 1,000 each and Kaep pass for 4,000.
If we keep the read option like this year he can rack up some serious yardage but it will come at a price.

I've already stated this several times but I don't want our qb running. If he has to run to avoid a sack that is great but this read option crap will mean an early end to Kap and us. D players a way to fast and big to not take a toll on Kap. Why in the world would we take a chance on exposing our starting qb to more hits? Makes no sense to me as we already have a great running game. How but Jim come up with the WCO style of hb pases and more screens and slants instead of having his qb running around.

This read option will work for a year and then it will be toast just like all the other fad O systems. Please develope the WCO and stop trying to outsmart yourself Jim.
Share 49ersWebzone