LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Can Kaepernick be a 1,000 yard rusher next year with 10 TD's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can Kaepernick be a 1,000 yard rusher next year with 10 TD's?

Before you think it's unrealistic consider that Kaep has only played a few games this season. He didn't even start the first 9 games. He did play a lot in the 9th game though. So it's roughly 8 games vs. 8 games by the end of the season Alex / Kaep (Kaep played a lot in game #9 after the Alex concussion).

After 5 total games and partial of a 6th (a lot of time in the Rams game where Alex got the concussion) and with 2 games left to play these are the stats.

49ers Rushing

1) Frank Gore.....232 attempts.....1118 yards.....7 TD's.....4.82 average.

2) Colin Kaepernick.....53 attempts.....379 yards.....5 TD's.....7.15 average.

3) Kendall Hunter.....72 attempts......371 yards......2 TD's......5.15 average.

4) Alex Smith.....29 attempts.....134 yards.....0 TD's.....4.62 average.

5) Anthony Dixon.....16 attempts.....64 yards.....2 TD's.....4.00 average.

5 total games and a partial of a 6th......
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
If he achieves this, his career as an NFL QB will be over.
379 / 6 = 63.16 yards per game. He played a lot of the concussion game.

63.16 * 16 (full season) = 1,011.

He has 5 TD's already in less than half a year. Why can't he have 10 in a full season?
Originally posted by Furlow:
If he achieves this, his career as an NFL QB will be over.

Why?
i rather him throw for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Why can't he do both?
Depends on the play calls and if they break down, it's his decision what to do next
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Depends on the play calls and if they break down, it's his decision what to do next

I think he can do it. If you project him out over a full season he would have these #'s.
Why would you want a 1000 yard rusher in your QB? And didn't some of those yards come from spot duty in various games when alex was starting?
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Why would you want a 1000 yard rusher in your QB? And didn't some of those yards come from spot duty in various games when alex was starting?

Definitely some of those #'s came in Tebow like packages when Alex was starting.

I don't know if I want a 1,000 yard rusher or not? But why can't he throw for 3,000 and rush for 1,000? That would project like he was at Nevada Wolfpack. That's really who he is / was. I don't know if it's good or bad? But he's clearly an athletic QB. I don't see Redskins fans complaing he has too many yards rushing or is too athletic....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Why can't he do both?

He was the first player in NCAA history to have back to back 2000/1000 yards passing/rushing seasons. I wouldn't put it past Kaep putting up a 3000/1000 yd passing/rushing season with 10 rushing TDs (less than one a game not too far fetched) and around 20-25 TDs passing. No reason to say he couldn't do it.

Realistically with a full season starting I see something like 3300 yards passing, 20 passing TDs, 650 yards rushing with about 6 or 7 TDs rushing.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Why can't he do both?

He was the first player in NCAA history to have back to back 2000/1000 yards passing/rushing seasons. I wouldn't put it past Kaep putting up a 3000/1000 yd passing/rushing season with 10 rushing TDs (less than one a game not too far fetched) and around 20-25 TDs passing. No reason to say he couldn't do it.

Realistically with a full season starting I see something like 3300 yards passing, 20 passing TDs, 650 yards rushing with about 6 or 7 TDs rushing.

I think he can do it. But the rushing and rushing TD's will be part of his game always I think. It's who he was before he got here. And I don't see Redskins fans complaining that RG3 is too athletic, runs too much and gets rushing TD's.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Of course, but running that much will almost certainly shorten his career and slow his development as a pocket passer.
Originally posted by vaden:
Of course, but running that much will almost certainly shorten his career and slow his development as a pocket passer.

Perhaps. But if you project him out this year for a full season. He would be north of 1,000 yards rushing and north of 10 TD's rushing also.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Prefer he doesn't get 1000 yards rushing, unless we're talking the 50 yard runs where he gets out of bounds and isn't touched.
Share 49ersWebzone