There are 174 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Has Randy Moss Helped the 49ers?

Has Randy Moss Helped the 49ers?

Simple question, has he helped out.
Yup. As of late he's been catching some passes. Good enough for a #3 for now.

Next year, we need to re-evaluate our WR core, again.
Yes. Keep him 1 more year if possible at reasonable cost.
I think the threat of Moss opens alot fothings up for the running game and has allowed Crabtree to have a pretty good season. In addition he sounds like he has been a pretty good mentor to Crabtree and supported Kaep thoughout the whole thing. I think he should be part of the team next year if he wants to be here.
I've been pleasantly surprised with Moss. He's been a great presence in the locker room. His numbers are about what I thought they would be.

Next year I'm assuming Jenkins gets integrated into the offense. Kyle Williams will be back. That would leave Moss as the 4th or 5th receiver at best. Not sure we would bring him back under those circumstances. I'd have no problem bringing him back though.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Yes for this year, he was the perfect veteran signing, he coached up all of our WRs and even Kaepernick and he had great chemistry with Alex. Its a 1 year year thing though, if we get him a ring he rides off into the sunset. Maybe he comes back again if we dont but how long can you devote a roster spot on a team that typically suits up 4 WRs on game day, to a 35 year old receiver who would be our #3 or #4 option that doesn't offer ST value?

Randy has been a huge positive for us but I just dont see it lasting beyond this season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Not a big contributor on the field, but he's a great mentor to the youngings. I'd bring him back as a coach only.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Not a big contributor on the field, but he's a great mentor to the youngings. I'd bring him back as a coach only.

I disagree. He's made some big plays when he's been out there, he's also caused defenses to pay attention...even old Randy Moss is dangerous Randy Moss. The touchdown against Green Bay, the touchdown against the Cardinals and then again last night. I like him a lot, he's been a great locker room guy, especially with Kaepernick as he's been pointing stuff out all over the field and giving him pointers.......its Randy Moss...holy s**t, you're a young pro quarterback and one of the best receivers in NFL history is basically giving you pro tips....that s**t is golden.

I would LOVE to have Randy back in any capacity with this team, re-sign him as a WR, give him a coaching position, I don't give a damn, he's clearly a different Randy than the guy he was in his younger days, older Randy's got wisdom to dispense, has an intricate knowledge of the game and he can still make some huge plays out on the field. I really do hope the 49ers bring him back next season.

I agree, but I think he still warrants a 4th or 5th guy in a rotation.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I disagree. He's made some big plays when he's been out there, he's also caused defenses to pay attention...even old Randy Moss is dangerous Randy Moss. The touchdown against Green Bay, the touchdown against the Cardinals and then again last night. I like him a lot, he's been a great locker room guy, especially with Kaepernick as he's been pointing stuff out all over the field and giving him pointers.......its Randy Moss...holy s**t, you're a young pro quarterback and one of the best receivers in NFL history is basically giving you pro tips....that s**t is golden.

I would LOVE to have Randy back in any capacity with this team, re-sign him as a WR, give him a coaching position, I don't give a damn, he's clearly a different Randy than the guy he was in his younger days, older Randy's got wisdom to dispense, has an intricate knowledge of the game and he can still make some huge plays out on the field. I really do hope the 49ers bring him back next season.

I just think he'd be taking reps away from some of our up and coming recievers. Specifically, AJ Jenkins. If we use Randy as a 4th or 5th reciever, I'm ok with that, but to use him as a 2nd or 3rd, I'm against.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM ]
Without a doubt.
Never been a Randy Moss fan but he's been worth the signing. What was it 2.5 mil or so? He's helped teach and set an example to go along with being a good decoy on the field while still putting up not too bad of stats for our offense and splitting time with Mario. I don't know if he would get as much time next year but whether it's Moss, Ricardo Lockette or a draft pick we need a big tall guy to go with our speedy guys in Crabtree, Mario, AJ and Kyle. Probably wouldn't offer him more than 1.5-2 ish million because we don't have a lot of room.
I just think he'd be taking reps away from some of our up and coming recievers. Specifically, AJ Jenkins. If we use Randy as a 4th or 5th reciever, I'm ok with that, but to use him as a 2nd or 3rd, I'm against.

I think spending another season with Randy Moss would only help Jenkins.

1. Crabtree
2. Manningham
3. Jenkins
4. Moss
5. Williams

But of course I've got a major woody for Quinton Patton out of Louisiana Tech who I feel could end up becoming one of the top receivers in football so...............
Guy started in the biggest victory of the season. Oh and caught a TD.

Move has worked.
He has caught a few TD's, opened the field for the other guys a bit, and by all accounts has been a big plus in the locker room. So yes.

And let's not forget, he has 2 more games plus the playoffs to have an impact. If CK7 can get some nice fade routes or deep balls going his way they could be really big to finish the year.