There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Short and Long Pass Attempts between Kaepernick & Smith?

So what is this thread for again?
There's one aspect of Kaep's game I still want to see him improve on.

I like to see him put more AIR on some of the floaters. The 1st TD pass to Moss was very nice. However, there was a pass to Vernon in the deep middle where he put too much juice and lasers it. I think on that pass he needs to learn to float it in there with more air underneath the ball.
Kap bye far ! HELL 'O"
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

I like to see him put more AIR on some of the floaters. The 1st TD pass to Moss was very nice. However, there was a pass to Vernon in the deep middle where he put too much juice and lasers it. I think on that pass he needs to learn to float it in there with more air underneath the ball.
Some people can see talent some can't
Originally posted by JD9671:
Kap bye far ! HELL 'O"

Oh definitely I am not questioning Kaep's talent. He is talented for sure and i do think he has tons of potential and very impressed with his play for having only 5 starts in the NFL. Just want to seem him keep improving on his game.
Originally posted by JD9671:
Kap bye far ! HELL 'O"

Oh definitely I am not questioning Kaep's talent. He is talented for sure and i do think he has tons of potential and very impressed with his play for having only 5 starts in the NFL. Just want to seem him keep improving on his game.

That's cool BRO! WE must support! OUR Q.B. C.K. or ALEX !!!!!!!!! 9ERS
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

has your answers
% deep is the % the QB passes for greater than 15 yards (not including yards after catch YAC)
air yards per attempt is the yards the ball travels (does not include YAC)

Thanks these links were great. I'm surprised CK is so low on WPA/G and EPA/P, considering he's #2 overall in QBR on ESPN. Do we know if this site includes last night?

I was shocked to see just HOW different CK and Alex were in %Deep. Because Alex was playing so well, it's sometimes hard to "prove" CK is a better option using anything other than an eye test, but the %Deep certainly shows that Harbaugh's gamble is paying off and allow the team to run a more dynamic attack.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

has your answers
% deep is the % the QB passes for greater than 15 yards (not including yards after catch YAC)

Thanks these links were great. I'm surprised CK is so low on WPA/G and EPA/P, considering he's #2 overall in QBR on ESPN. Do we know if this site includes last night?

I was shocked to see just HOW different CK and Alex were in %Deep. Because Alex was playing so well, it's sometimes hard to "prove" CK is a better option using anything other than an eye test, but the %Deep certainly shows that Harbaugh's gamble is paying off and allow the team to run a more dynamic attack.

I think these stats include last night's performance.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

has your answers

So he's dead last. LOL

Lol

Damn
It's amazing how different the numbers look when you compare >15 vs >20 yards. For attempts over 20 they're close, but over 15 yards they're miles apart.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
It's amazing how different the numbers look when you compare >15 vs >20 yards. For attempts over 20 they're close, but over 15 yards they're miles apart.

I looked at deep pass numbers pretty closely during the 2010 season. I'm just going off memory, but from what I remember the numbers changed fairly dramatically from season to season for a number of QBs. I figured it was due to "parity" and the myriad of other variables involved. There were some that were relatively consistent.

The largest factor in the disparity is sample size, IMO.
Instead of comparing Kap to the back up QB, how about we start comparing him to QBs who've won the superbowl. I noticed there isn't one in the top 10 of deep % passers......
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Instead of comparing Kap to the back up QB, how about we start comparing him to QBs who've won the superbowl. I noticed there isn't one in the top 10 of deep % passers......

Causation does not equal correlation. Why pick an arbitrary number like 10? Eli Manning and Rogers are in the 12 & 13 spot, both throwing deep only 3% less than Kaepernick.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Causation does not equal correlation. Why pick an arbitrary number like 10? Eli Manning and Rogers are in the 12 & 13 spot, both throwing deep only 3% less than Kaepernick.

LOL. Causation does not equal correlation? The focus on passes over 20 yards is far more arbitrary then the superbowl winning percentage of the top 10 in said category. I didn't mention causality at all. Just pointed out a fact. A far more useful stat is adjusted yards per attempt(AYPA) which has all of the superbowl winning QBs in the top 13. Kap is #3 in this stat and the only superbowl winning above him is Brady......
This is all good but why are we soo hard for the bomb or deep ball?

Once in awhile is good to back off the db's but not as a game plan.

I don't want us to focus on the deep ball. The long ball is not the mainstay of the WCO. If we get away from what makes the WCO so effective then the O will begin to fail IMO.
Originally posted by rk1642:
This is all good but why are we soo hard for the bomb or deep ball?

Once in awhile is good to back off the db's but not as a game plan.

I don't want us to focus on the deep ball. The long ball is not the mainstay of the WCO. If we get away from what makes the WCO so effective then the O will begin to fail IMO.

We at least need to always maintain the threat of the deep pass to open up the short game. If you're Seattle watching film of Kaepernick throwing 4 deep TD passes against the Patriots, now you can't solely focus on stacking the box to take away the run and short pass.