LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

Do u agree with Rodgers??? Alex deserves to be appreciated! (Tonight Total access)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do u agree with Rodgers??? Alex deserves to be appreciated! (Tonight Total access)

Yes. He's played excellent football for quite some time now, including not just some epic comebacks and exciting victories, but some virtually flawless performances as well. This team looks like they're in great position to win a SB no matter who would happen to start right now. Alex knows he's a terrific QB, and shouldn't be content to back-up a guy who will prevent him from ever seeing the field, barring injury. At this point, I don't even think Manning would unseat Kaepernick.

Alex should go to Arizona or Minnesota. Probably Minny, since Arizona lets their QB get sacked more than anyone in the league (although.. we are 7th worst in this area, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad).
Originally posted by titan:
He really needs to appreciate us and the coaching staff. We stood behind him while we waited for his potential to show. Any other team he would've been finished being a 1st rd/1st pick QB.

Yea exactly, he lucky we let him grow and not kick him to the curb, most teams would have cut him after 3 years and who knows if he ever would have started for any team after that.
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I appreciate his clipboard holding skills.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I appreciate Alex Smith for his loyalty, work ethic, sportsmanship and team first attitude. Thats where the list ends.

I should really amend this.

I appreciate Alex Smith for his loyalty, work ethic, sportsmanship, professionalism, team first attitude and for the Saints game last playoffs. Now THAT is where my list really ends. I shortchanged him the first time I posted here.
I appreciate Alex Smith for his loyalty, work ethic, sportsmanship and team first attitude. Thats where the list ends.

This sums it up perfectly for me.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yes. He's played excellent football for quite some time now, including not just some epic comebacks and exciting victories, but some virtually flawless performances as well. This team looks like they're in great position to win a SB no matter who would happen to start right now. Alex knows he's a terrific QB, and shouldn't be content to back-up a guy who will prevent him from ever seeing the field, barring injury. At this point, I don't even think Manning would unseat Kaepernick.

Alex should go to Arizona or Minnesota. Probably Minny, since Arizona lets their QB get sacked more than anyone in the league (although.. we are 7th worst in this area, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad).

There's a lot of hate on Alex among 9er fans... all this trash talk...Alex is a top 10 qb. I think he was replaced by someone who could be going to Canton after he retires. Kaep's raw skills are freaking amazing...how did we get him in the 2nd? How was he overlooked? I think Harbaugh will be credited as Walsh 2.0 for finding him and Alex will be remembered here as a Deberg despite leading the leage in ratings before his injury. For Alex's sake, I hope he pulls a Brees and goes to another team and does extremely well. Just for the record, Deberg had a pretty solid career after leaving the 9ers. Alex is better.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Well said. He IS a terrific QB and would be awesome in Minne with AP running the ball.

We have all been through all the history stuff; how he was drafted by a team more devoid of talent than the expansion year Texans, bad coaches and all, and finally get a chance to play with some talent and a good coaching staff. However, a point that I believe is somewhat overlooked is, we will never know for sure where this team would be right now if it had not been for Camp Alex last year. His loyalty combined with his intelligence gave the offense a running start on a year with a completely new system and staff. He then hit the ground running and ran the offense well enough to win 13 games and put the 49ers on the map. In the process, he opened a lot of eyes to his own talents, which had been buried behind all the crap for years.

He will go somewhere next year where he will be appreciated, and he will get paid, and he will win. He deserves that. I just hope the 49ers are not a team he beats, although that would be a precious irony.
Originally posted by titan:
He really needs to appreciate us and the coaching staff. We stood behind him while we waited for his potential to show. Any other team he would've been finished being a 1st rd/1st pick QB.

I agree. We gave Alex every opportunity to be the franchise QB. If Alex was a superstar then he would have never been benched. But he isn't. I don't feel sorry for Alex, he's a very wealthy man and I think he'll teeter between being a decent starter (if he can find another team with a good defense) and a backup QB in this league.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran

I should really amend this.

I appreciate Alex Smith for his loyalty, work ethic, sportsmanship, professionalism, team first attitude and for the Saints game last playoffs. Now THAT is where my list really ends. I shortchanged him the first time I posted here.

lol, was gonna say "what about dat saints game doe?"

In all honesty, I dont think Kaep has really done anything in the passing game Alex cant do statistically... They both put up similar numbers, about 200 yards and a TD or two... Kaeps 4 TD's yesterday had more to do with the D giving him opportunities than anything else. Where Kaep differs is his age and mobility, he's already pretty smart and with experience he'll be at smiths Intelligence but with all those physical gifts that Alex lacks... Kaep is the clear starter, Alex deserves to go somewhere else and start. As a fan I appreciate all of the things that you posted above, and the fact he didnt let me down and make me look like a doofus when I stood up for his ass saying he could get us to the playoffs and win a game by carrying the team ala the Saints game
Originally posted by vaden:
ITA with the Rodgers and it disgusts me to see "49er fans" continue gleefully kicking Alex when he's down and assume we wouldn't be doing as well if he was still the QB when the fact is he's had far better performances than anything his replacement has shown. The hypocrisy and double standards are laughable. .

Seriously. And those "49er fans" are really not 49er fans at all.

This years rookie class of qb's and even CK7 have given other GM's pause that it takes a qb year to figure out a play book and get into the NFL swing of things.

1. Andrew Luck- New offense, rebuilding team, head coach with cancer, headed to play offs.
2. RG III- rookie stud
3. Kirk Cousins- 2 wins in 2 starts, not bad for a fourth round pick and a rookie.
4. Ryan Tannehill- From Hard Knocks to carrying the franchise.
5. CK7- beat the bears, Saints and Patriots. All teams that in the beginning of hte season these where the test if the team was for real or not.
6. Matt Ryan- stud from year one.

Now Alex Smith has made close to 80 million dollars to date. On any other team he would have been dropped after year 3, making 35 million. He should be happy to be so well compensated for his lack of production.
I appreciate him for his intelligence, hard work, dedication and selflessness, I'll never forget the contributions that he made during the lockout in regards to teaching the playbook. The other side of that coin however is that no other team would have held on to him as long as the 49ers have. It'll be interesting to see how fast the Jaguars bail on Blaine Gabbert. Harbaugh and Co also helped Alex, provided a supportive environment for him, made him look to be like a credible starter, the difference is that previously he would have been like AJ Feely, and been likely out of the league in a couple years, now he's going to go somewhere and be a legit starter. Alex did a lot of good stuff for this franchise, but he also benefited from them as well, he's been paid well, has had a fairly lengthy NFL career for someone with his early production and should have several more productive seasons ahead of him.
Originally posted by vaden:
ITA with the Rodgers and it disgusts me to see "49er fans" continue gleefully kicking Alex when he's down and assume we wouldn't be doing as well if he was still the QB when the fact is he's had far better performances than anything his replacement has shown. The hypocrisy and double standards are laughable. But I should've learned long, long ago not to let the idiocy bother me or waste another moment of my time.

I thought I have watched every 49ers game of Alex's career, but I guess I am wrong. Please point out where Alex has shredded a top defense like Kap did against the Bears and where Alex has thrown 4 TD passes in a game.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
He should be appreciated. He helped get us in the position we're in.

The correct answer.

I hope he tears the league up next year except if/when he plays SF.
Originally posted by 9erred:
This years rookie class of qb's and even CK7 have given other GM's pause that it takes a qb year to figure out a play book and get into the NFL swing of things.

1. Andrew Luck- New offense, rebuilding team, head coach with cancer, headed to play offs.
2. RG III- rookie stud
3. Kirk Cousins- 2 wins in 2 starts, not bad for a fourth round pick and a rookie.
4. Ryan Tannehill- From Hard Knocks to carrying the franchise.
5. CK7- beat the bears, Saints and Patriots. All teams that in the beginning of hte season these where the test if the team was for real or not.
6. Matt Ryan- stud from year one.

Now Alex Smith has made close to 80 million dollars to date. On any other team he would have been dropped after year 3, making 35 million. He should be happy to be so well compensated for his lack of production.
um no he hasnt
Share 49ersWebzone