LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Why do you guys think our offense looked lame?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Caution: here's my knee jerk reaction thread after watching the Hawks destroy the Bills. I'm very nervous about having to go into Seattle and pull out a victory. But here's what's on my mind at the moment..... I'll return back to normal once we beat the Pats 20-17.

You guys are gonna rip me to shreds on this post but I'm actually happy the Seahawks are breathing down our necks and putting up big points in doing so. Memo to Jim Harbaugh. If he thinks we can continue to win ball games with an ultra predictable, boring, conservative offense then he's delusional. He's going to be forced to get out of his comfort zone and design an offense that can utilize a more complex passing game to keep pace. Good news is that we have 75% of the tools to get this done. Onus on Harbaugh to use these tools in order to stay ahead of the curve.

I remember when Jim Harbaugh first announced that he was taking the Niners job, he went and started watching as many Bill Walsh tapes as much as possible (both practice tapes and game tapes). Wondering if all this went in one ear and out the other? I don't see much of a Bill Walsh influence in our current offense.

So yes, I'm calling you out Jim Harbaugh. As a huge Niners fan it's the first time that you are making me nervous. Prove me wrong Jim. Show me and the fans that you are willing and able to adapt. I'm getting tired of relying on our defense and our field goal kicker to win ball games. Only the strong survive.......
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by b9er37:
Great discussion. I don't know if you guys caught the Nevada game yesterday, but they showed a lot of the stuff we may see out of the Q stuff. It is a really fun offense to watch and is effective running the ball and setting up play action.

Don't watch college football but what kinds of things did you see...any thoughts/ideas given Roman and our personnel that you may see translated over to our current offense?

The run game by both the back and qb were very effective, and the play action to the te resulted in at least two long tds. the way the offense is run puts a lot of pressure on the defense to cover all areas of the field. The combination of a qb who can run and throw is lethal at the college level. I'm curious to see how well Kap can run it at the pro level. I have a feeling the offense is going to get even more creative and exciting.

Thank you! We will certainly be looking for it more tonight.

I think we're about to witness the 49ers offense at it's most creative level tonight, it has to be that kind of game!
Originally posted by verb1der:
I think we're about to witness the 49ers offense at it's most creative level tonight, it has to be that kind of game!

Hope you are right! Since the change in QBs I have been less excited about the games because I really don't expect CK to control the game well enough to win. He will have ups and downs as all young QBs do and there is no way to predict his play--will he make an incredible pass or run to clench the game, or will he make a mistake that costs the game. This may be a bit unfair after only a handful of games but he is the guy now so...

Smith was usually fairly mistake free and I always felt the game was in good hands. His bad games were few, NYG game was the only truly bad game. I realize that many totally disagree, but it is what it is...and I hope I'm wrong.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Hope you are right! Since the change in QBs I have been less excited about the games because I really don't expect CK to control the game well enough to win. He will have ups and downs as all young QBs do and there is no way to predict his play--will he make an incredible pass or run to clench the game, or will he make a mistake that costs the game. This may be a bit unfair after only a handful of games but he is the guy now so...

Smith was usually fairly mistake free and I always felt the game was in good hands. His bad games were few, NYG game was the only truly bad game. I realize that many totally disagree, but it is what it is...and I hope I'm wrong.

Just try to open your mind the to this "Q" formation. The concept is to have a formation that takes full advantage in maximizing the strengths of our skill players, for any situation. You can basically use this formation and run a no huddle offense because you have all the weapons needed for any given situation.

And tonight's game is the perfect test for this concept. The play calling will be a sure chess match!
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM ]
Just try to open your mind the to this "Q" formation. The concept is to have a formation that takes full advantage in maximizing the strengths of our skill players, for any situation. You can basically use this formation and run a no huddle offense because you have all the weapons needed for any given situation.

And tonight's game is the perfect test for this concept. The play calling will be a sure chess match!

Always keep an open mind and do enjoy watching Kaepernick and his big plays. Just really like the WCO. Tonight is an odd game. Turn overs and near turnovers for both teams. Cold and wet is not a good environment for ball security.

From week to week it's amazing how many twists and turns there are. Atlanta beats NYG by 34 and NYG beat the niners by 23 so does that mean Atlanta is 57 points better? Of course not but the shut outs today...smh!
wrong thread
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Always keep an open mind and do enjoy watching Kaepernick and his big plays. Just really like the WCO. Tonight is an odd game. Turn overs and near turnovers for both teams. Cold and wet is not a good environment for ball security.

From week to week it's amazing how many twists and turns there are. Atlanta beats NYG by 34 and NYG beat the niners by 23 so does that mean Atlanta is 57 points better? Of course not but the shut outs today...smh!

that's true this week was a clusterfvck!!!
Because Roman isn't as good an OC as everyone thought. He's borderline garbage.
Coaching
One sustained drive in the whole game. Nine possessions of less than two minutes...just can't do that to the defense!

Great discussion. I don't know if you guys caught the Nevada game yesterday, but they showed a lot of the stuff we may see out of the Q stuff. It is a really fun offense to watch and is effective running the ball and setting up play action.

Don't watch college football but what kinds of things did you see...any thoughts/ideas given Roman and our personnel that you may see translated over to our current offense?

The run game by both the back and qb were very effective, and the play action to the te resulted in at least two long tds. the way the offense is run puts a lot of pressure on the defense to cover all areas of the field. The combination of a qb who can run and throw is lethal at the college level. I'm curious to see how well Kap can run it at the pro level. I have a feeling the offense is going to get even more creative and exciting.

There you go! Just what we both wanted...the Q offense but focused around traditional PASSING and utilizing CK's skill set and his ability to access our playmakers (Moss, Crabree, VD, Walker, James, etc.). I can't wait until Manningham gets back and James gets more and more experience. Gore did his thing, we threw a screen for a first down, went vertical, etc.

Now, granted, CK still has a ton of work to do but he plays big in big games and certainly has all the abilities and intangibles. Naturally, we had a lot of botched snaps (he needs to learn to play under center badly esp. if we run a WCO/Q hybrid offense). He still continues to be VERY lucky (he scares me at times)...probably should have had 3 INT's...God knows how many lost fumbles...liable for at least one bone-headed TO a game. But that said, he now knows what he has to work on to become more complete and lets not discount all the huge plays he did made. This may have been the most "progression" reading I've seen him do in this offense.

Coaching...huge conservative issues with the RZ. Aside from the quick fade to the outside WR, we still never take shots of passing plays IN the EZ. It almost cost us!
It looks lame because, despite the attempts to look varied by formation and personnel, the result is still a conservative philosophy at attacking the defense. Lots of run plays with playaction in between, and most egregious of all in my eyes -- is the lack of attack on the end zone with the passing attempts. I want to blame the qb for this but I don't think it's the qb position at all but more with the coaches.

Maybe Akers' struggle is a blessing in disguised. Forcing the coaches to attack the endzone more with the passing game and not depend too much on Akers kicking. We are so much like Pittsburgh's offense in Rothlisburger's first 2 years.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:24 AM ]
Not sure what everyone is complaining about. The 9ers were taking shots down field all day; they missed Vernon Davis on two would-be TD bombs and had TD passes of 24, 34, 27, and 38 yards. CK had a QB rating of 107.7, threw for 4 TD's against only 1 INT. Enjoy this one for a bit, New England is the best the NFL has to offer....they were going to have their moments, they did, and the 9ers responded.

There you go! Just what we both wanted...the Q offense but focused around traditional PASSING and utilizing CK's skill set and his ability to access our playmakers (Moss, Crabree, VD, Walker, James, etc.). I can't wait until Manningham gets back and James gets more and more experience. Gore did his thing, we threw a screen for a first down, went vertical, etc.

Now, granted, CK still has a ton of work to do but he plays big in big games and certainly has all the abilities and intangibles. Naturally, we had a lot of botched snaps (he needs to learn to play under center badly esp. if we run a WCO/Q hybrid offense). He still continues to be VERY lucky (he scares me at times)...probably should have had 3 INT's...God knows how many lost fumbles...liable for at least one bone-headed TO a game. But that said, he now knows what he has to work on to become more complete and lets not discount all the huge plays he did made. This may have been the most "progression" reading I've seen him do in this offense.

Coaching...huge conservative issues with the RZ. Aside from the quick fade to the outside WR, we still never take shots of passing plays IN the EZ. It almost cost us!

The botched snaps were annoying! I don't think it's a chronic issue, it was just a wet ball.

And you're right NC. CK is a big-time player in big-time games, I witnessed it in the Bears/Saints game. It literally cannot get any harder than facing Bellichick & Brady in their own home in December weather.

Loved what McCourty said about CK...

Quote: "He's been poised throughout," said Patriots safety Devin McCourty. "Nothing seems to rattle him. He's been able to just play his game. Even last week against Miami, game on the line, important drive, and he keeps it and runs down the sideline for a touchdown. We knew we weren't going to really rattle him or get him out of the game. We knew that he was a tough player."
http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Loss-a-lesson-learned-for-Patriots-defen?blockID=814427&feedID=10426

Also, check this out though, not sure if anyone noticed this last night. Plenty of times straight out the huddle, the offense would line up in the Q, then CK makes a pre-snap read, and depending on the match up, changes the entire formation at the line. For instance in Delanie's TD catch...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000112698/QB-Kaepernick-to-TE-Walker-34-yd-pass-TD

This formation is starting to show more and more of it's versatility, and harbaugh/roman are really using it to create mismatches with creating shifting. You can literally come out in a "Q" personnel showing the D you're more than likely to run, and then shift the formation to a full on shotgun with the versatility of our skill players. The machine is getting well oiled and it shows in their execution!

Furthermore, CK is going beyond the play call like an experienced vet. Here's a short transcript...

Quote: The go-ahead touchdown came on the next play, as quarterback Colin Kaepernick and Michael Crabtree improvised on a 38-yard touchdown, which came on a long run after a 5-yard hitch.

"(It) was a nice job by Colin," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "(It's) not where he was supposed to go with the ball. It wasn't the intent of the play. But he saw what he saw, kicked it out to Michael and then Michael made a huge play."

Why did Kaepernick make that throw?

"I liked the matchup," Kaepernick said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-blow-big-lead-rally-win-over-patriots

It was a prime example of a chess match game, and I am sooooooo fvckin proud of CK!!!!
Hmmm there are some interesting comments in this thread. lol
Share 49ersWebzone