There are 803 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will our defense play the majority of the game in a nickel & dime?

It seems when the Pat's face a strong 3-4 defense , they use a LOT of 4 and 5 WR sets to try and keep the LB's off the field, plus Soap will also see limited snaps if we are forced to use pass defense the majority of the game

So will we see a lot of Cowboy & Ray Mac as our 2 down lineman, and Brooks & Aldon as our edge rushers?

what concerns me is when we faced the packers, Willis was on the sideline a lot when we used extra DB's , granted we won that game, but I am hopeful Fangio finds ways to keep Bowman AND Willis on the field the majority of the game , we need those guys more than ever this week.

Any thoughts?
https
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
It seems when the Pat's face a strong 3-4 defense , they use a LOT of 4 and 5 WR sets to try and keep the LB's off the field, plus Soap will also see limited snaps if we are forced to use pass defense the majority of the game

So will we see a lot of Cowboy & Ray Mac as our 2 down lineman, and Brooks & Aldon as our edge rushers?

what concerns me is when we faced the packers, Willis was on the sideline a lot when we used extra DB's , granted we won that game, but I am hopeful Fangio finds ways to keep Bowman AND Willis on the field the majority of the game , we need those guys more than ever this week.

Any thoughts?

The answer yes. But we have the best nickel defense in the league. The challenge will be handling their H-back formations...Incidentally, RB's catching passes out of the backfield is a weak spot on the 9ers defense.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM ]
Yea not sure both Willis and Bowman is the smart play over playing an extra DB. Probably depends on how much zone vs man coverage they play. More zone then both guys can patrol the middle. Difference between them and the Packers though is that the Pats actually run the ball. And that wham play works really well against 3-4 fronts. The key will be who will/can match up one on one with B Llyod all game with no help. And I'm not even sure who their other wr is. So if they can man that guy up alos with no help then Whitner and Goldson can help in the slot. In obvious passing downs I'd put Culliver on Hernandez. The defense gonna have to take more chances and get pressure right in Brady';s face up the middle. so that's where Willis and Bowman's A gap blitzes become very important, We need Raymac and Brooks to come to ball. it can't all be on Aldon to get every sack and every pressure.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM ]
Hye guys Pats fan here, and if the 49ers are in nickle and dime all game I expect a BIG does of ridley.That said I expect a tough game, but god no more injuries!!!
Willis is only on the sideline in our dime package. In Nickle, it is Soap that comes out.

I doubt we see much of the dime. New England likes to use their TEs. We only go to dime when there is an extra WR instead of a TE. Willis on a TE is a good matchup for us. Willis on a WR is a bad one.
I expect Vereen and Woodhead to get more touches combined than Ridley this week. Better route runners and hands. If & when the passing game loosens up that brutal front 7 of the niners, then Ridley will get his touches.
Originally posted by PatsFanNH:
Hye guys Pats fan here, and if the 49ers are in nickle and dime all game I expect a BIG does of ridley.That said I expect a tough game, but god no more injuries!!!

the niners stop the run really well even in the nickel

WTF is this guy doing here???

As a rule of thumb, don't post on a 49er fan site if you are a fan of the Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Seahawkes, Cardinals, Rams, or whomever we are playing on the given week.
Originally posted by blm7754:

As a rule of thumb, don't post on a 49er fan site if you are a fan of the Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Seahawkes, Cardinals, Rams, or whomever we are playing on the given week.

thats right, no one with a differing opinion allowed. the circle jerk must live on

Nothing wrong with the enemy stopping by for a civil chat, I visit opposing teams message boards during the week too ...the only message board that was filled with nothing but a*****es was the Seahawks board...bunch of know it all pricks ...least this Pats fan isnt trashing us and talking big $hit
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Nothing wrong with the enemy stopping by for a civil chat, I visit opposing teams message boards during the week too ...the only message board that was filled with nothing but a*****es was the Seahawks board...bunch of know it all pricks ...least this Pats fan isnt trashing us and talking big $hit

Why trash talk? I am not playing the game, I leave it to them to trash talk eachother lol.

That said should be a barn burner on Sunday (3rd tough game in a row for my Pats... I am a firm believer Division games ALWAYS tough PERIOD.) Very cool how both teams strengths and weaknesses square off against eachother (Pats 0 v SF D and Pats D v SF O) I have a feeling it could come down to Special teams play (A long return or a muffed punt etc) that wins or losses the game!
I, for one, am glad PatsFan showed up. It's going to be a great chess match of a game. I think it'll come down to the kickers. Hopefully, Akers likes being back on the east coast.
Originally posted by GetGronked:

thats right, no one with a differing opinion allowed. the circle jerk must live on

Yea, we dunno how he got out of the basement.
Originally posted by GetGronked:

Lol! Thank you. I'm totally fine with opposing fans coming on the boards. Gives both sides more perspective to the game ahead.