There are 129 users in the forums

Rope-A-Dope

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Do you think Harbaugh is going conservitve with the play calling with crap teams and will he open it up against NE and seacocks .saving the big plays for big games or am I wishing this is the case. Coach Walsh (aka GOD) was a big fan of boxing and used a lot of analogies referencing boxing in his coaching . Do you think Harbaugh is doing this
It may be wishful thinging...but...yes. There have been multi times where I have sat scratching my head, wondering why they don't keep doing something that clearly works.
For example:
  1. Two quick passes in a row to Moss...and then crickets.
  2. One beautiful deep pass to Moss (missed PI call) and then nothing more.
  3. Good looking overload blitz that crushes the QB...and then back to vanilla.

It's like JH is just making sure it works and then he puts it back away. ...when we win against average teams...it seems like a pretty good plan. Just boring.
Nope... With the way people think around here we are going to be the most dominate playoff team ever.

According to people we are always saving plays and saving people to unveil them during the playoffs or for a big game. We are what we are.... it's not a conspiracy.

This response is not directed at you OP, just and observation in general about how people think we are always saving something for some big unveiling.

[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM ]
I wanted to respond with a resounding no, but there is a kernel of truth to this. I want state up front, that no they do not deliberately hold back plays or players for that matter for use specifically in " big games". That being said, what I do see is a coach who is more than willing to take the foot off the gas and take less risks with teams he feels he can beat playing it safe. For better or worse Jim will intentionally beat a team 10-7 if he feels thats the "safe" option. As a result you see a lot less flash in games where we dont fear an offense scoring along with us. It results in keeps some games close late into games, that could have been put away earlier, and having faith in the D to make the smaller lead hold up. Then you get games like Chicago where its precieved as stiffer competition and you get a more agressive game plan.

I know this is all conjecture but the evidence of the last two years seems to hold up. The play calling gets more agressive when our backs are against the wall or the oppenent is deemed a threat.
Originally posted by Mankster:
It may be wishful thinging...but...yes. There have been multi times where I have sat scratching my head, wondering why they don't keep doing something that clearly works.
For example:
  1. Two quick passes in a row to Moss...and then crickets.
  2. One beautiful deep pass to Moss (missed PI call) and then nothing more.
  3. Good looking overload blitz that crushes the QB...and then back to vanilla.
It's like JH is just making sure it works and then he puts it back away. ...when we win against average teams...it seems like a pretty good plan. Just boring.

I was thinking the exact same thing. When are they going to take the lid off this thing? The play calling leaves you scratching your head
I really hope so.

I have felt that way for a while, especially about the use of Moss.

And I guess we'll see soon.
Somebody just watched Real Steel.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Somebody just watched Real Steel.

Nope just thought of it when Manny was laying on the mat thinking he was faking it lol
Originally posted by montana9er:
Do you think Harbaugh is going conservitve with the play calling with crap teams and will he open it up against NE and seacocks .saving the big plays for big games or am I wishing this is the case. Coach Walsh (aka GOD) was a big fan of boxing and used a lot of analogies referencing boxing in his coaching . Do you think Harbaugh is doing this

no--but it will make a wonderful kaeperscuse
[ Edited by hofer36 on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]

No
Originally posted by montana9er:

If that was the case, there weren't be any questions of "bad play calling" and going over time 2x with CK as the QB against the rams and losing one of those games. They're trying everything they can to win with CK now, and if that doesn't work in the next 2 weeks on SNF, then the CK switch will be viewed as a huge failure.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM ]
From a coach's perspective, I personally wouldn't show what I don't need to. If it isn't on film, they can't scheme for it. I will say this, they are in for a big darn fight with the Pats on Sunday. They are flat scary and the 49ers will have to play A LOT more aggressively to beat the Pats. The pats don't care if they are up by 28 points, their classless, cheating coach will still throw and run up the score.
Absolutly GREAT photo!
Share 49ersWebzone