There are 230 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Soap gotta go...

Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I wish there was some evidence in the OP? as far as I can see through the games soap has been doing his job.

I'm pretty sure OP was originally RollinWithNolan and changed his name to RollinWith21n52 when Nolan got canned.

Evidence: OP is a _______.

dude, you seem to have some issue with me. Disagree? sure, go ahead, but personal attacks? What are you, 15?
Soaps got to be resigned, he is playing good football. Slow your rollin.
Originally posted by jonr422000:

Really? How so? What is he doing that you like so much?
Soap is doing a good job. He anchors against the run very well and allows his teammates to flow to the ballcarrier. That's his job description.

I still think people are way too harsh on Carlos Rogers. I don't know what people are seeing that I'm not. I don't see him getting burned. He gives up catches from time to time, particularly from the slot, but he's playing well.

In today's NFL, the slot receiver has evolved into a 1st down machine. It's a tough assignment that the majority of #1 corners don't have to deal with. Rogers takes on that role in addition to his role as the #1 corner in the base defense. That's a lot of responsibility and he handles it very well IMO.
I agree with the assessment on Rogers (people are too harsh on him). If you want to see bad corner play, go look the the Niners from 2000 to 2005.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

What is he doing that you do not?
I actually agree with the OP. Our defense has not been as dominate against the run this season as it was in 2011. I believe it is patially due to diminished play from the NT spot. Teams have figured out that they have better luck putting the extra blocker on Justin Smith instead of Soap. A guy as big and strong as Soap should be disrupting plays in the backfield regularly if not double teamed. That just hasnt been happening.

I think the guy has lost a step. He also makes way too much money. Time to replace him with RJF.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I actually agree with the OP. Our defense has not been as dominate against the run this season as it was in 2011. I believe it is patially due to diminished play from the NT spot. Teams have figured out that they have better luck putting the extra blocker on Justin Smith instead of Soap. A guy as big and strong as Soap should be disrupting plays in the backfield regularly if not double teamed. That just hasnt been happening.

I think the guy has lost a step. He also makes way too much money. Time to replace him with RJF.

We are still ranked third in the NFL against the run. If that is Soap loosing a step, I'd say he has alot more room for error.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We seemed to be in the nickel a lot, and seems to expose Soap to more than he can handle. We had 4 guys with hands in the dirt often, but they were the Smiths, Soap, and Mr. Brooks. That for those who care are two linemen, and two backers, with Willis, and Bowmen behind them. This left us with no push up the middle, and Soap looking weak.
Soap rarely plays when we are in the nickel. I think you are mistaking him for Mcdonald. Soap normally just plays in the base defense.
He is getting older, in his 30's, if it was right price, I would say re-sign him, 3 yr max. I dont think he has seen free agency once in his career. So he will want to shop around. Thats why a 1st or 2nd rd NT is a nice pick. The two Williams(Sylvester and Jesse), Jenkins(UGA), Hankins of Ohio State(Might be too far up to get). Kwame Geathers from UGA also is a good one.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by jonr422000:

Let's see if I can answer. He had three tackles today which for a nose tackle in the type of defense we play is a lot. Generally when he is in the game other teams find it impossible to run against us. This is why they choose to run against our four man line, ie. nickle defense when he is out of the game and Mcdonald moves inside.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Soap is doing a good job. He anchors against the run very well and allows his teammates to flow to the ballcarrier. That's his job description.

I still think people are way too harsh on Carlos Rogers. I don't know what people are seeing that I'm not. I don't see him getting burned. He gives up catches from time to time, particularly from the slot, but he's playing well.

In today's NFL, the slot receiver has evolved into a 1st down machine. It's a tough assignment that the majority of #1 corners don't have to deal with. Rogers takes on that role in addition to his role as the #1 corner in the base defense. That's a lot of responsibility and he handles it very well IMO.

That's a fair point on Rogers. Covering deep is one thing, but covering the slot is very tough, and corners aren't adept at doing so yet
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We seemed to be in the nickel a lot, and seems to expose Soap to more than he can handle. We had 4 guys with hands in the dirt often, but they were the Smiths, Soap, and Mr. Brooks. That for those who care are two linemen, and two backers, with Willis, and Bowmen behind them. This left us with no push up the middle, and Soap looking weak.
Soap rarely plays when we are in the nickel. I think you are mistaking him for Mcdonald. Soap normally just plays in the base defense.

He was rotating in, we played so much nickel today, and you can see why he doesn't play much nickel!
Patrick willis will cry in his milk
It's Soap and Raymac. Neither guy is playing up to the level that they did last year.