My uncle's buddy got him two tickets for lunch with Joe Montana. He took his daughter (my cousin) and she described the highlights on her blog, which I'll provide for you.
The luncheon was at RAO's at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Local radio personalities, Juicy and Spence, met all 20 diners and explained the rules. One autograph on a ball, one picture with Joe.
They sat at one table and shared a meal - family style. Joe Montana talked the whole time. He answered questions, held nothing back, even talked about his kids. Some highlights:
- My uncle asked him what he though of our current quarterback controversy. He said he doesn't know what Harbaugh is thinking - that Alex Smith should have come back in to play until he lost the starting position fairly, and that "the new kid" is a running qb and they don't take teams very far.
- My uncle asked him about a holding call in the Niners vs. Giants playoff game that cost us the game, and Joe Montana referenced a pass interference call from a couple plays before, which he thought had more of an effect.
- He's still buddies with "Ronnie" and talks of him fondly.
- Someone asked him about Charles Haley and T.O. and he was totally candid about both those guys. He said Charles Haley was on meds and depending if he took them that day, Joe Montana would decide whether or not to get on the same bus. As for T.O., Joe said that if he was Jeff Garcia, he would have dragged his ass into the film room and showed him tape of every pass that he dropped.
- My uncle asked him what he thought of our failed three-peat, and he said something to the effect of, "Look, with the guys we had, I could have stayed and won 2 more. The guy replaced me and won 1." Never says Steve Young's name. Totally awkward in a room full of Niners fans.
(My cousin's conclusion)
Lunch with Joe Montana was totally what I thought it would be like. He's nice and friendly, loves football, and my dad had a total blast. I think he's still on Cloud 9 and won't be coming down for a while. As for me, well it's probably been one of the coolest days of my whole entire life.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM ]