LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Lunch With Joe Montana

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Interesting take from a guy who got replaced by a running quarterback after being hurt.

Agree. Montana's take is probably colored by his personal experience. Still, I agree with him. Smith should not have lost his job.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
As much as i loved steve young i agree with joe. We would have won more superbowls if he stayed.whatever it is that makes qbs great joe montana had boat loads of it. Had he and coach stayed we would have 8 rings i think.

...And probably would have had more had Watters not left, too.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Too young to appreciate Montana and despite all evidence and logic to the contrary, I prefer Steve Young.

Montana taking that jab by not even acknowledging Young's name only confirms that he's still pissy about the whole thing and smug "I would have won 2 more". Get over it Joe, you won 4 friggin Super Bowls.
I'm USArmyParatrooper, and I approve of this message.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
This. Steve, like Joe, was one of the best quarterbacks in his error. There's a reason Steve was the league passing leader multiple times. The guy even retired with the best QB rating ever in the history of the league (at the time). Fact of the matter, even though some of those defenses in the 90s were pretty damn good, it takes a whole team effort to win Super Bowls. For some reason in those years, Green Bay had our number.

There's a reason why the 1984 and 1988 49ers teams are considered some of the best of all time, if not the best. The 1994 team, along with the other mid-90's teams were pretty damn good, but no where near all-time greats like those 80's teams Joe was on.
That's easy. NO RUNNING GAME. Once Ricky Watters left, the 49ers weren't a serious threat for a title until the addition of Garrison Hearst. I look back at the loss of Watters as the one factor that really hindered the team, things could have been a lot different that year with no Adam Walker and his casted-up arm, with Watters out there, especially considering that the 49ers had taken it to the Cowboys earlier that season.

49ers got down early in that game and the Packers never looked back, had they won, I fully believe they would have repeated as Superbowl champions.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Too young to appreciate Montana and despite all evidence and logic to the contrary, I prefer Steve Young.

Montana taking that jab by not even acknowledging Young's name only confirms that he's still pissy about the whole thing and smug "I would have won 2 more". Get over it Joe, you won 4 friggin Super Bowls.
I'm USArmyParatrooper, and I approve of this message.

Your relative youth is a perfectly good explanation for your preference of Young. It's natural to prefer the players you watched growing up over supposed legends. I'm probably a little older than you and remember all of both players careers. Montana, IMO, was better. Always in command. Young was a little like Kaep...capable of amazing plays, not sure what you're gonna get. If Young and Montana were stocks, you'd say that Young has a higher Beta if that means anything to you. I agree that Joe should get over his legacy, but he is who he is. The greatest QB to ever wear the red and gold.
I liked Young more as a person... but Montana was a better QB.

However, with the speed of the game increasing... the reality of Joe being in his mid 30's.. the injuries... and our deteriorating OL pass pro, I think Young was the better QB to move on with.

Loved them both and both were obviously elite.
Nice OP... Thanks for sharing! Boy were we spoiled by having arguably two of the best QB's that were two completely different styles. Making it so hard to compare the two.

Some of you young guys will never understand how good Joe was...That's understandable. But the way the put passes in smaller windows than Eli Manning. Threw his receivers open. Stayed calm and collected in tight situations when the team was down. The way he finished the game and closed them out. He was the absolute epitome of what an NFL QB should be. A fiery and passionate leader with a calmness that opponents feared... He didn't have a Cannon Arm... but his touch... and decision making were incomparable. He just couldn't be rattled.

On the other hand... we were lucky enough to have found Steve Young... A Fiery and Passionate leader not as calm and collected as Joe... but the ability to scramble and toss the rock with accuracy on the run... or sit in the pocket and gun one in there... and his decision making was as acute and fine as Joe's... made him a force to be reckoned with.

#16 and #8 > #11 and #7 but still a good problem to have.
hahaha, Montana said he'd win more than 1. I agree! I think Joe could have won us 2 more...

Edit: Should have made the trade of Steve Young for Derrick Thomas
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM ]
Which 49er/Giants playoff game are they talking about?

'85 Wildcard?

We lost that game by two TDs.

'86 Rice fumbled a sure TD, Montana got KO'd and we got destroyed.

Are they referring to the Redskins game maybe? That game definitely had the controversial calls.
Look, I sill say it again, "in Harbaugh we trust". His W-L record is incredible, the team now has the proper exepctation to win the NFC West, where when other coaches said it everyone rolled their eyes.

Harbaugh played qb in the NFL, he brought two college programs back to respectability and is quickly turning the 9ers into a team that will be playing in the play offs year after year.

Harbaughs goal never was to just get to the play offs, he wants to win the super bowl. Maybe he sees that if he stays with the same recipe he will not accomplish that goal.

In Harbaugh we trust.

Montana= best qb ever.....way cool story...thx
That's funny that you mention this. I live in Vegas and my cousin went as well. He sent me some pictures but he didn't say if he talked to him or asked any questions, but he's only 24 so he probably doesn't remember watching those old games anyway.

Steve Young had playoff failure after playoff failure. The 94 Superbowl made his career and the 90's 49ers were a lot like the 00's Colts. Awesome in the regular season but couldn't get past Dallas (minus 94) and GB with a couple others sprinkled in. Similar to Indy not being able to get past NE and SD.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Look, I sill say it again, "in Harbaugh we trust". His W-L record is incredible, the team now has the proper exepctation to win the NFC West, where when other coaches said it everyone rolled their eyes.

Harbaugh played qb in the NFL, he brought two college programs back to respectability and is quickly turning the 9ers into a team that will be playing in the play offs year after year.

Harbaughs goal never was to just get to the play offs, he wants to win the super bowl. Maybe he sees that if he stays with the same recipe he will not accomplish that goal.

In Harbaugh we trust.

THIS...I do not agree with every decision that Harbaugh has made but the reality is that none of us are at the practices or the coaches meetings. We are a bunch of guys that enjoy watching a game but have more than likely never played a snap in it or coached one either. We probably know about half as much about this team and the game as Jim Harbaugh. It's like people forgot what he did last year. None of us saw what was to come last season. We all expected a average kind of team in his first year. Coming off a 6-10 season, an 8-8 record was a reasonable expectation. But Harbaugh came in with a month to prepare this team for the season and shattered that expectation and we came so very close to reaching the big one.

Now here we are every week debating his every move. Some call him arrogant, others blinded but the truth is the guy wins. Let this man do his job. He has earned our trust and patience. "In Harbaugh we trust"!
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I liked Young more as a person... but Montana was a better QB.

However, with the speed of the game increasing... the reality of Joe being in his mid 30's.. the injuries... and our deteriorating OL pass pro, I think Young was the better QB to move on with.

Loved them both and both were obviously elite.

Very much agree. I am very disappointed in Montana, being a hero of mine, that he can't seem to let the Young issue go and continues to somehow blame Young for all that transpired. And it's a pretty petty thing to not use the "guy's" name when referring to him, as well as the back-handed insult about running QB's. Young has been nothing but classy through it all, and to my knowledge, has never denigrated Montana in any way. In fact, he speaks almost reverently about him. Joe may have been a better QB, in the classical sense, but he could sure take lessons from Young on how to be a bigger and better person.
Share 49ersWebzone