Not a member? Register Now!

Should Alex be removed from being a team captain

Should Alex be removed from being a team captain

No.
How bout NOOOOOOO!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Nah... I like it. It's so bizarre and keeps it a fresh reminder of the betrayal of HC to player for all the world to see and talk about. I know he'd like nothing better than to hide Alex under a box to try and further mitigate the backstabbing, but too bad... the football world is fully aware now. As good as a large flashing sign stating "Don't come to play for Jim Harbaugh...because you may play well, get injured, and never see your job again. And for Jeebus' sake, never listen or trust a thing the man has to say to you."

This seems a wee bit excessive, don't you think McGibblets? I mean, damn.

Just being honest, and I am not one to dance around vs speak my opinion. Obviously doesn't matter what I think anyway, so I don't know why people are disturbed by my feelings here. I liked Mike Nolan until his true colors shined brightly in 2007. I still view Harbaugh as a competent offensive coach, but I feel Jim is showing a disturbing lack of integrity by this decision. I think he does believe we can win it all with either QB.. so with that in mind, pulling this on Alex knowing full well the crap he's been through? Yeah... cheese-penis move and I think many players... while still working hard for a SB regardless.. must have lost some measure of respect for Jim now. I sure have... but in the end, I still have to hope for the best.

Anyway, this doesn't really belong in this thread, I guess. Wouldn't have continued it, but you asked...

I think you overstate the effect it has on anyone in the locker room.

My buddy at work got canned. He did a good job but missed too much time with different ailments. I miss him, but it doesn't effect my job one bit.

At the end of the day I think playing on an NFL team as your job isn't all that much different than working in an office, or on a construction crew relationship wise.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I think you overstate the effect it has on anyone in the locker room.

My buddy at work got canned. He did a good job but missed too much time with different ailments. I miss him, but it doesn't effect my job one bit.

At the end of the day I think playing on an NFL team as your job isn't all that much different than working in an office, or on a construction crew relationship wise.

Perhaps. I have played for a team and know that locker-rooms have a more passionate "warriors together" mentality than that of some office job. Many of these players have been around each other a lot... on and off the field.. for years. Again, it's just speculation. Could be that most are like "whatever" and just go about their job. Then again, it would make sense that some of the players are asking themselves, "well sh*t.. if Jim would do this to Alex, what's to keep him from screwing me over too?"

So really... I'm getting beyond this because.. as a 49ers fan for life, I simply have to. Just responding to you... "not whining and crying some more". I won't begrudge young Ck7 a damn bit.. but I won't simply smile and raise my glass to Jim's handling of this situation either.
I'm sayin No. He's still a respected leader; even if he's been outplayed for a couple of games.
Nah... I like it. It's so bizarre and keeps it a fresh reminder of the betrayal of HC to player for all the world to see and talk about. I know he'd like nothing better than to hide Alex under a box to try and further mitigate the backstabbing, but too bad... the football world is fully aware now. As good as a large flashing sign stating "Don't come to play for Jim Harbaugh...because you may play well, get injured, and never see your job again. And for Jeebus' sake, never listen or trust a thing the man has to say to you."

I'm going late to this thread but I agree with Mr Mc. What Harbaugh has done will raise a warning flag deep in the minds of the players. It cannot be otherwise. Smith was the face of the team - fighting against the odds and coming through. His teammates loved his loyalty and courage in the face of great difficulties. They respect him. What Harbaugh has done is to open a gap between himself and the players. How wide is yet to be seen but the above will have impact in the future.
remove!
that would be mean
From one standpoint you'd say 'yes', cause it's really awkward for him to go out and do the coin toss without being a starter at this moment in time... but I think stripping it now would, and could be catastrophic. The team is behind Harbaugh, and I doubt anybody is a non-team player, but strip a man of that patch, it could cause some problems, cause he did nothing to lose his job, therefore he did nothing to lose that patch.
Originally posted by dj43:

I'm going late to this thread but I agree with Mr Mc. What Harbaugh has done will raise a warning flag deep in the minds of the players. It cannot be otherwise. Smith was the face of the team - fighting against the odds and coming through. His teammates loved his loyalty and courage in the face of great difficulties. They respect him. What Harbaugh has done is to open a gap between himself and the players. How wide is yet to be seen but the above will have impact in the future.

I personally find that as ridiculous. This is the NFL not high school. These are men. They like one another, but end of the day they know what happened to Alex could indeed happen to each and every one of them, cause that's the business they chose to earn their living.

The team owed not one bit of loyalty to Alex nor to any other player. The better player plays, and the guy who was able to resurrect Smith career (regardless of what some will say started prior to JH), and is proven mentor of QB's says right now Kap is the better player. The owners pay him to make that call due in part to that proven track record.

I think the locker room respects Harbaugh for making the tough choice to better the team and give them more opportunity to win. That is after all his job.

Players want to win and Harbaugh proved to them that he can show them the way last season. Every single one of them to a man is on board and all this childish drama is imaginary. I guarantee it. Free agents want to win, cause winners get paid. I also think the players will appreciate being able to keep both Bowman and Goldson as well saving on Alex's cap next season.

It was a shrewd move, and was made at the perfect time.

That's all Ill say on that though and back to the topic.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by dj43:

I personally find that as ridiculous. This is the NFL not high school. These are men. They like one another, but end of the day they know what happened to Alex could indeed happen to each and every one of them, cause that's the business they chose to earn their living.

The team owed not one bit of loyalty to Alex nor to any other player. The better player plays, and the guy who was able to resurrect Smith career (regardless of what some will say started prior to JH), and is proven mentor of QB's says right now Kap is the better player. The owners pay him to make that call due in part to that proven track record.

I think the locker room respects Harbaugh for making the tough choice to better the team and give them more opportunity to win. That is after all his job.

Players want to win and Harbaugh proved to them that he can show them the way last season. Every single one of them to a man is on board and all this childish drama is imaginary. I guarantee it. Free agents want to win, cause winners get paid. I also think the players will appreciate being able to keep both Bowman and Goldson as well saving on Alex's cap next season.

It was a shrewd move, and was made at the perfect time.

That's all Ill say on that though and back to the topic.

Please, as you say, back on topic. There is another thread for this.
Not weird Alex is still captain. Hella weird he must walk out there for the coin toss.

What does he do if a captain from the opponent laughs at him and say he got benched?

Alex: "Hey coach, they laughing at me."
Jim: "Go tell Colin to throw a TD for you."
Wire holder guy for Jim: "LOL!"
you don't have to be a starter to be a captain.

there have been plenty of special-teams guys who wore the "C" & never played as starters.
Yes, since accordingly to Harb, AS doesn't have the hot hand anymore and apparently is on the way out, why keep him as a captain... It's kind of meaningless. However I wouldn't turn around and give CK as the starting QB the captain though, the kid made rookie mistakes after mistakes and not only cost the team the rams game but embarrassed himself like a true rook, until he fixes that next season, he is no captain material in my book or shouldn't be in any one else's.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Dec 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by HeavyDrifting:
Yes. He shouldn't have been a captain in the 1st place.

Well, the players disagreed with you.

LOL