There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Alex be removed from being a team captain

Should Alex be removed from being a team captain

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he should rip that patch off his jersey and throw it at harbaughs face. Then again, he'd just throw it a few feet short or over his head.

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Agree. Taking away his team captain role is ridiculous. It's voted on by the players. Alex "giving" the captain title to Kap would yes, make him look like a vag and 2, would show disrespect to his teammates.

I agree with the first part, but not the second. Teams desire players not just on skill, but overall attitude and conduct. Kaepernick IS the starter, and Smith has already publicly announced he doesn't like it. If he got with his treammates and said, "Look, I'm pissed about the switch and some of you don't like either. But Coach made his decision and Kaepernick hasn't done anything wrong. Let's rally behind him and make him captain for the good of the team."

I'm not at all saying this should be *expected* of him, but it would be the ultimate classy move. The only people who would see it as "weak" are those who are frothing at the mouth angry about the switch, and want him to tell Harbaugh to F-off.

Having been in team sports, working in a heavy team-oriented job, where i was voted on as leader,I just don't see it like that. Slap in the face to teammates.

If Alex has done anything bad in the eyes of his teammates, well that's a different story.
In "name" he should remain a captain... Should be left up to him if he wants to take the "walk of shame" onto the field for coin toss!!!
he was voted a captain by the team so, no.
Originally posted by niners94:
No. The players voted for him.

Allegedly. Alex has been with this team since 2005 and each time the players were allowed to vote on captains he wasn't selected. The few times he did make the cut was when the coach picked the captains. So I wouldn't be surprised if Alex was added by Harbaugh.
some of you are f*cking cold! the same people that are bashing Alex, were the same ones singing his praises all last year, and in the playoffs when he beat the Saints, and def in the begging of the year when he went into Lambeu Field and beat the packers. Dont kid yourselves, you fell in love with Kap because of ONE good game, and now you want to throw a winning QB under the current coaching staff out in the cold, AND RIP HIS CAPTAIN PATCH OFF?!!! GTFOH

GO NINERS!
No. he was voted into that position by his team mates. I'm willing to bet that they LIKE seeing him go out there for the coin toss as a reminder that the unwritten rule was broken: "you never lose your starting job due to an injury". Every NFL player, coach, and administrator knows this rule. JH broke it. Never forget!
na man...why yall so mean.

the fact that he hasn't went all Jeff George on everyone, and has been a model citizen shows the credibility of the patch.

its really up to him though. When he feels that Kaep is playing consistent and there is no more chance of him getting his job back, then he should on his own hand the reigns over to Colin...especially heading into the playoffs.

because, yes it is weird seeing Alex walking to the coin flip thing. If he has no problem with it then yeah leave it alone...I just don't want him to feel pressured to go out there for it, even though he is not the starting QB anymore.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by eastie:
No. he was voted into that position by his team mates. I'm willing to bet that they LIKE seeing him go out there for the coin toss as a reminder that the unwritten rule was broken: "you never lose your starting job due to an injury". Every NFL player, coach, and administrator knows this rule. JH broke it. Never forget!

this aint baseball there are no unwritten rules.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he should rip that patch off his jersey and throw it at harbaughs face. Then again, he'd just throw it a few feet short or over his head.

Originally posted by eastie:

this aint baseball there are no unwritten rules.

Of course there are. Every team sport has them. Starting slot/injury is one that every player in the NFL agrees with. The only exception to that rule is when the injury prevents you from playing the game any longer. Otherwise the rule stands, go down with an injury, get your job back when healed. Possibly lose it once you return because you just can't perform at the level you were prior to the injury, but otherwise you get your job back.
No way. He's Captain Clutch!
5 pages. Way to go Sus. I commend you on that. Something as simple as a "C" on your shirt and you got 5 pages out of it.

The bigger problem I have, is who cares? I dont care if Merton Hanks walks out there for a coin flip. Or Ricky Watters or JJ Stokes. Doesnt mean a bloody thing to me.

Alex, Kaep, the LordTolzien. Any of the 3 could wear a "C" or an "M" or a "Q", really who cares? This is just another thread to bash Alex. Ive never posted in the QB threads, and I never will. But love him or hate him, leave the guy alone. He gets up, kisses his wife, goes to practice (after losing his job), goes home and spends time with his new kid. Jesus Christ. Love him or Hate him as a QB, he is a person, get over it. Its just a damn game.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
5 pages. Way to go Sus. I commend you on that. Something as simple as a "C" on your shirt and you got 5 pages out of it.

The bigger problem I have, is who cares? I dont care if Merton Hanks walks out there for a coin flip. Or Ricky Watters or JJ Stokes. Doesnt mean a bloody thing to me.

Alex, Kaep, the LordTolzien. Any of the 3 could wear a "C" or an "M" or a "Q", really who cares? This is just another thread to bash Alex. Ive never posted in the QB threads, and I never will. But love him or hate him, leave the guy alone. He gets up, kisses his wife, goes to practice (after losing his job), goes home and spends time with his new kid. Jesus Christ. Love him or Hate him as a QB, he is a person, get over it. Its just a damn game.

The 90's called and they want their players back.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Nah... I like it. It's so bizarre and keeps it a fresh reminder of the betrayal of HC to player for all the world to see and talk about. I know he'd like nothing better than to hide Alex under a box to try and further mitigate the backstabbing, but too bad... the football world is fully aware now. As good as a large flashing sign stating "Don't come to play for Jim Harbaugh...because you may play well, get injured, and never see your job again. And for Jeebus' sake, never listen or trust a thing the man has to say to you."

Hurt much?

I don't see why you're so heavily invested in what the coach does! I mean it doesn't affect you in any way, unless you're Alex Smith!

Thought the mods were trying to encourage discussion to stick to the players, coaches, and team? Why come at me, bro?